Now Let's Torque.

Tandem Man

I have just been reading in the latest CC magazine a response to the "different bolts for steel spare" shenanigans started in last months mag ( I still think they have got it wrong as it says that torque is less for the steel spare whereas Bailey at least say it is the same at 110Nm for the "old" bolts,but I will let that pass ).

At the end it says that torque should be rechecked after 20mins/20miles of travelling or thereabouts,fair enough.

Now I also read somewhere,perhaps on this forum, that torque should never be checked on hot/warm wheelbolts.

So what is the procedure,sit in a lay-by for two hours until the wheels have cooled down sufficiently ?

I know you can use the plastic pointy things but they are an optional extra and you should not have to use them.

Ian

Hi all,

This all seems unbelievable to me, the Pegasus problem with dents, a problem with excessive noseweights, now a problem with wheels, yet people are still queing up for their products, after being told to buy stick on protective fronts,ProTective covers for use when towing, shove all the weight to the rear, and now stop every ten minutes and check ya nuts, what a load of cobblers. I'd seriously consider asking a Non Bailey dealer what residual value these caravans have, because I know one who won't touch'em. Mind I did go into a Dealers showroom Nr Banbury the other week ( just get some bits) got talking to the salesman and he quiet bluntly told me If I was interested in any of his 'vans he " couldn't touch our Hymer ". They had a rule to not accept any " Foreign " 'vans as part exchanges,I haven't slept since,LoL. Catch ya later,indoors

I have just been reading in the latest CC magazine a response to the "different bolts for steel spare" shenanigans started in last months mag ( I still think they have got it wrong as it says that torque is less for the steel spare whereas Bailey at least say it is the same at 110Nm for the "old" bolts,but I will let that pass ).

At the end it says that torque should be rechecked after 20mins/20miles of travelling or thereabouts,fair enough.

Now I also read somewhere,perhaps on this forum, that torque should never be checked on hot/warm wheelbolts.

So what is the procedure,sit in a lay-by for two hours until the wheels have cooled down sufficiently ?

I know you can use the plastic pointy things but they are an optional extra and you should not have to use them.

Ian

The new bolts are 120nm for the steel, 160nm for the alloy, a Bailey letter confirmed this recently.

My new bolts fitted by the dealer all have a red painted line over the bolt head, all the lines point the same way, i think thats a good idea and worth adopting.

Its a shame for Bailey owners that they always seem to be in the news for the wrong reasons, but i suppose thats the price of success.

Baileys rivals need to be very afraid of Alutec, only today i removed the blind over the bed to adjust the tension, not a piece of wood to rot insight, just that plastic substitute to screw into, isn't that what all caravans should have?

Rather than wood that will hold water and rot.

Come on Bailey lets change the wooden floor to something that wont rot as well.

I wasn't meaning that the rechecking of torque was purely a Bailey "problem",the snippet in the mag was given as general advice not brand specific.

The "old" Bailey bolts are 110Nm for alloys and the steel spare.

Ian

Hi all,

This all seems unbelievable to me, the Pegasus problem with dents, a problem with excessive noseweights, now a problem with wheels, yet people are still queing up for their products, after being told to buy stick on protective fronts,ProTective covers for use when towing, shove all the weight to the rear, and now stop every ten minutes and check ya nuts, what a load of cobblers. I'd seriously consider asking a Non Bailey dealer what residual value these caravans have, because I know one who won't touch'em. Mind I did go into a Dealers showroom Nr Banbury the other week ( just get some bits) got talking to the salesman and he quiet bluntly told me If I was interested in any of his 'vans he " couldn't touch our Hymer ". They had a rule to not accept any " Foreign " 'vans as part exchanges,I haven't slept since,LoL. Catch ya later,indoors

residual values of bailey are one of the highest of the uk built caravans. the glasses guide looks on them very favourable as well and generally dealers love having used baileys

Written somewhere on the CC website, they do state after 20 minutes or 20 miles of travelling retorque the nuts. ... How? Your on a busy motorway travelling to that sunny location. Accident waiting to happen. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Written somewhere on the CC website, they do state after 20 minutes or 20 miles of travelling retorque the nuts. ... How? Your on a busy motorway travelling to that sunny location. Accident waiting to happen. ...

The handbook for our 2007 Coachman Pastiche (now replaced with a Lunar), stated that it was "Important to check the torque of the wheel bolts prior to every journey and also after traveling approximately 20 - 30 miles". As you state, this can be impracticable, and I asked our local dealer about this, He told me to check them before each trip and at any stops that may be made on the journey!

I think that Coachman were just covering themselves in case any wheel detached due to the bolts becoming loose and falling out - but then how could they prove that the bolts were NOT checked "after traveling approximately 20 - 30 miles"?

Regards,

David

residual values of bailey are one of the highest of the uk built caravans. the glasses guide looks on them very favourable as well and generally dealers love having used baileys

Hi all,

1/. " one of the highest " How many other UK manufacturers are there?.

2/.glasses guide ?

3/.So " GENERALLY dealers love having used Baileys ".

My take on this is, that unhappy buyers,( and reading these forums of late there are many of them ) of this product will unfortunately have to offload them to " Bailey Dealers ".

They won't be such a good second hand buy in years to come because the new owners will still have to meet " Bailey's " requirements re; Serviceing to uphold the warranty.

Just to end though, I really do hope that what ever make of caravan people choose, they are happy with it, with it's performance and afford many happy times in it. Catch ya later,indoors.

Archived