Gas Bottles And What To Do

JogonUK

Just a quick query, Pageant Series 5 and mindful of noseweight when towing. ..

Haven't purchased the gas bottles yet but am about to.

We'll for the first part of our ventures most likely use caravan club sites, I am guessing but would assume that most of them are usually stocked with calor gas?

I am undecided as to whether or not to buy 2 x 6(7?) kg calor bottles of the lightweight version or possibly one of them and as a reserve a smaller 4. 5 kg I think it is.

What are your recommendations?

Also, propane or butane? I'm minded towards propane? I have the hoses for either.

Thankyou!

Why take 2 bottles when you only use 1?

If, as you say, you will be using club sites presumably with electric hook-up then your gas use will be minimal, one small lightweight bottle should last for ages.

I guess it depends on what you intend to run on gas.

Propane or butane will give the same results but if you want to use the caravan in freezing conditions then propane is better as it does not freeze unlike butane . I would buy 2 x 6kg as the amount of weight saving is small but you will save on gas price . I would check your noseweight with the van loaded then make a decision on what weight of bottles would suit as you might find you need to add weight to nose and not reduce it .

Dave

Paulus - The problem with one gas bottle is if it runs out at night etc. ..I believe 2 would be a better option. ..

CommanderDave - Yes to the occasional cold night which is one of the main reasons re propane, not sure of the nose-weight of the van will have to check.

ps: how do you check a noseweght when loaded or is there a set weight given for each particular van?

Firstly, I think you need two bottles because one will always run out right in the middle of cooking breakfast when it is pouring with rain and the only pitch available was the one furthest from the reception/shop !

I use one Calor and one Camping Gaz so when in UK you can use the Calor and abroad use the Gaz

DaveS1

Firstly, I think you need two bottles because one will always run out right in the middle of cooking breakfast when it is pouring with rain and the only pitch available was the one furthest from the reception/shop !

I use one Calor and one Camping Gaz so when in UK you can use the Calor and abroad use the Gaz

DaveS1

I agree with DaveS. The gas always runs out when you're using it, at the most inconvenient time!

I have two Calor lightweight bottles of Propane (doesn't freeze in cold weather). I used to have Daves set up, but Gaz seemed to get very expensive, hence the change to two Calor. I've never got close to running out abroad as I make sure there's plenty before I set off.

John.

If we decide to tour abroad I think I'd consider having an lpg conversion but yes to the two bottles. Just cant make my mind up re the lightweigh two of or just one lightweight 6kg (7?) and a smaller 4. 5kg for if/when it runs out as a reserve etc.

If we decide to tour abroad I think I'd consider having an lpg conversion but yes to the two bottles. Just cant make my mind up re the lightweigh two of or just one lightweight 6kg (7?) and a smaller 4. 5kg for if/when it runs out as a reserve etc.

we have just had a month abroad, and only used 5kg of propane.

that is because we were on ehu.

we always take two 6's propane.

looking to get light weights when we can.

we use a bottle in less than a week, on rallies.

we always use propane, gasses off better than butane.

cheers rodders B)

cheers rodders

Ok, thanks all for your contributions.

For the record, I had one 4. 5 butane bottle and with a little digging at a local scrap yard this afternoon I managed to grab another one the same for a £5 and then managed to trade them up for two lightweight 6kg Propanes at no charge for the trade up and just £19. 60 eack 6kg bottle filled . .and the lightweights are certainly lighter than their 6kg counterparts. ..

A lot of dealers wouldnt let me trade up. ..they'd let me go from butane to propane and i could trade up to a standard bottle but not to a lightweight etc. ..but managed to find one that did. ...

Edited by JogonUK

Good call. You won't regret that. We have two lightweights and noseweight has never been a problem. We don't like hooking up, and we got through a bottle in 3 weeks this summer.

Why didnt you consider the Safefill refillable gas bottle? Its a 8. 6kg bottle. .holds apprx 16ltrs of LPG gas and it costs ya £12 to fill. .and one of the great features of it is. .you can blatantly see how much gas you have left in it. .has it has a transparent window and you dont have to wait until its empty and youve ran out. ...you can top it up at any time. .theyre amazin. ..I feel Calor have had us over a barrel for far too long. .fed up of them chargin what they like. .when they like. ..check out the Safefill bottle. .

We got ours from here. ...http://newarkcaravans. co. uk/

Sal :-)

Edited by Burnt

Why didnt you consider the Safefill refillable gas bottle? Its a 8. 6kg bottle. .holds apprx 16ltrs of LPG gas and it costs ya £12 to fill. .and one of the great features of it is. .you can blatantly see how much gas you have left in it. .has it has a transparent window and you dont have to wait until its empty and youve ran out. ...you can top it up at any time. .theyre amazin. ..I feel Calor have had us over a barrel for far too long. .fed up of them chargin what they like. .when they like. ..check out the Safefill bottle. .

We got ours from here. ...http://newarkcaravans. co. uk/

Looked at these. ... The only problem is the initial cost. . OK savings on filling them up would eventually get the extra cost back if you use gas a lot. ... As we use about a bottle a year to 18 months is would take a longer time over the cost of a BP Gaslight bottle. Plus not being able to just fill up at any garage with LPG is a pain at the moment. But would be good if you could. They just need to bring the costs of the bottle down and get petrol stations to allow you to re-fill the bottles. But I do love the way composite bottles allow you to see the content and in 5 years of using a BP bottle I have never been caught out without gas. I now have a Calor bottle just sitting here empty and un used as I cannot see the point in using it. .. I kept it for the patio heater and when it ran out I just put it to one side. .. I will never carry a second bottle in the UK and would only think about using the Calor bottle as a back up if we went off to Europe for an extended time.

I dont see much of a down side to the BP bottles as we have never had a problem getting a re-filled bottle and visually seeing how much is left really does mean I can figure out if we are going to run out. If it looks like we will run out before the following I dont mind losing a little bit of gas to swap the bottle early as I know it will only be a minimal amount. As we usually use EHU there is no worries of runnng out over night as we only use it to cook. .

Obviously you have to take into consideration how much gas you use. ..we used 43 calor lite bottles last year. ..as we were in our van an awful lot and we go to places fishin. .where there is no EHU. .so we run everythin on gas. .we were gettin through a 6kg calor lite a week easily. ..we worked it out that with the price of the safefill bottle and 8 refills you have your money back. ..so for people that only use 2 bottles a year. .its gonna take 4 years before you see your savins. ..so wouldnt be worth it. ..but for ralliers and people like us. .who camp in the middle of nowhere. ..its an amazin savin. .

I have to say. .my Mark has never been stopped from fillin up our bottle. .he was questioned once. ..when the forecourt attendant thought he was refillin a calor bottle with a dodgy adaptor. ..once he explained the safety of the safefill bottle. .the attendant was happy and left him to it. ..it might just take some educating of the attendants. .but word is gettin around and i think before long. .everyone will have one. ..

Obviously you have to take into consideration how much gas you use. ..we used 43 calor lite bottles last year. ..as we were in our van an awful lot and we go to places fishin. .where there is no EHU. .so we run everythin on gas. .we were gettin through a 6kg calor lite a week easily. ..we worked it out that with the price of the safefill bottle and 8 refills you have your money back. ..so for people that only use 2 bottles a year. .its gonna take 4 years before you see your savins. ..so wouldnt be worth it. ..but for ralliers and people like us. .who camp in the middle of nowhere. ..its an amazin savin. .

I have to say. .my Mark has never been stopped from fillin up our bottle. .he was questioned once. ..when the forecourt attendant thought he was refillin a calor bottle with a dodgy adaptor. ..once he explained the safety of the safefill bottle. .the attendant was happy and left him to it. ..it might just take some educating of the attendants. .but word is gettin around and i think before long. .everyone will have one. ..

That makes it well worth it. ..... Cool. ..