Towing With A Pajero - 4 Wheel Or 2 Wheel Drive

BOAC

Hi Guys,

Is it best to tow in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?

Opinions would be appreciated,

Regards

Pete of the BO

Hi,

I have a Nissan Terrano 2 SWB. I always tow in 2 wheel drive and have only used 4 wheel drive to get on or off a soft pitch if I get wheelspin, very unusual, (or tow others off!!).

I believe the perceived wisdom is that 2 wheel drive is more economical than 4, also the 2 wheel drive goes to the rear axle so you are getting most of the downforce over the driven wheels anyway.

Chris

If you tow in 4 wheel you are using the power you have through more gears I think.

I don't know how the drive selection operates but if it reduces friction when you go to 2 wheel I would use it.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Thanks guys. I have also posted this on Pocuk and one member recommends towing in 4 wheel drive because the rear transmission would not have to take all of the strain but share the load between the front and the rear transmission.

And, thinking about it, engine braking would be on all four wheels too.

As said 2 wd is more economical but not a big saving as the transmission for the disengaged axle is still being turned by the road wheels . The best saving is if you have free wheeling hubs that can be disengaged manually or automatic and then the wheels just free wheel as a 2 wd vehicle .

Dave

If you tow in 4 wheel you are using the power you have through more gears I think.

I don't know how the drive selection operates but if it reduces friction when you go to 2 wheel I would use it.

True . .. but it might save mechanically in the long run with less wear to the rear transmission.

True . ... it would use less fuel, but cost less in repairs / replacement of bits.

Oh I dunno.

:wacko:

As said 2 wd is more economical but not a big saving as the transmission for the disengaged axle is still being turned by the road wheels .

Dave

Good point.

RIGHT - THATS IT

I am staying in 4 wheel drive when towing.

Thanks Commander - Sir

(Officers DO come in handy sometimes) :D

I was told a 2. 7 litre diesel engine in a Land rover would be cheaper to run than a 2. 5 litre because the extra . 2 litre would cope with all the gears and transfer box and still leave 2. 5 litre to pull the caravan. :wacko:

True or False?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I was told a 2. 7 litre diesel engine in a Land rover would be cheaper to run than a 2. 5 litre because the extra . 2 litre would cope with all the gears and transfer box and still leave 2. 5 litre to pull the caravan. :wacko: True or False?

To produce power to drive a vehicle along it needs power and to create power fuel is burned . Having a larger engine can in some case be as economical if not more as a small engine as a larger engine does not need to use the gearing and higher revs to cope with the loading were a larger engine will stay in a high gear and rev at lower levels so using less fuel .

Dave

To produce power to drive a vehicle along it needs power and to create power fuel is burned . Having a larger engine can in some case be as economical if not more as a small engine as a larger engine does not need to use the gearing and higher revs to cope with the loading were a larger engine will stay in a high gear and rev at lower levels so using less fuel .

Dave

So why is'nt a Veyron more economical than a Golf? :rolleyes::ph34r:

Regards.

Col

I towed with a Audi Quattro, permanent four wheel drive, you would expect 3mpg less than the FWD version, but well worth the extra traction.

The xtrail never comes out of auto for the transmission, but as four wheel drive only ever cuts in on loss of traction to the front wheels, its rarely in 4x4 mode.

Edited by xtrailman

So why is'nt a Veyron more economical than a Golf? :rolleyes::ph34r: Regards. Col

Thats because a Veyron is about 2 times the weight a golf . My comparison was towing the same caravan with a 2 lt or 3 lt there wont be much difference but solo then the 2 lt would give better mpg .

I have owned supercars and found them not that bad on fuel . My car did 100mph in 2 nd and about 186 mph top speed so driving at 50 - 60 mph in 4th - 5th the engine was only running at about 1200rpm this gave a fuel return of 30+ .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Mk1 Shogun - Must be in 2 wheel drive (no central diff)

Mk2/3 Shogun with superselect - your choice, but 4H probably best

Towed with a Pajero for 2 years. Always towed in 2 WD. Only used 4 WD if in VERY slippery conditions. Best towcar I ever owned, shame about the fuel consumption.

Regards, Mike

we had a pajero with super select, only ever towed in 2wd . read on POCUK a few owners towed in 4H.

agree with Mike, great towcar and stunning vehicle all round but couldnt justify the horrendous mpg any longer. shame cos i adored the car

I sometimes use our Pajero (3. 5 litre petrol) for towing, and for normal motorway driving 2WD is used, but I usually drop it into 4WD on hilly or twisting roads, and always use 4WD when the roads are wet, as this tends to give better stability on corners, and (obviously) better traction. There will obviously be a slight increase in power loss through the central transfer box and front differential, but despite taking accurate fuel readings, I have never noticed a perceivable increase in fuel consumption when using 4WD as apposed to 2WD.

It is true that the Pajero can be a thirsty beast, but mine runs on LPG, which is around half of the price of petrol, so an actual 17 mpg on LPG equates to around 34mpg on petrol.

Regards,

David

Never had a Pajero, but as I Land Rover man, I would say 4WD has to be better for control & ware and tare on the car. My Disco is constant 4WD and I think that there is less load on the drive train and you have the benefit of all 4 wheels giving traction and engine breaking.

I have had two Shoguns a Mk6 and a Mk7 both have sticker on the drivers door saying 4WD should be used when towing.

ElBeardo :)

Thank you Oh Bearded oracle. Thats THAT sorted then.

Pete BO