bigbilly

I'm sure that I, and some of our caravanning friends, are part of a very small minority of CC members.

I have been a member for over 30 years but in recent years have seen no need for the monthly magazine which gets binned in our house shortly after delivery !

In this day and age of saving trees and the internet I can find out most things I need on the CC's first class website and don't need it duplicated in hard copy format.

I have mentioned this on the forum in the past and have always had the argument, made quite strongly, that the cost of providing the magazine is far outweighed by the advertising revenue, which benefits club members, which I've never queried as we need the membership to enable us to go on the many rallies that we do.

I understand that the operating costs went up by nearly a quarter of a million pounds in 2010 and the net cost of producing the magazine was over £1. 7 million !!

Bill

Ooh ! How strange ! As soon as the CC Magazine comes through the door it's a fight between hubby and me to see who reads it first. We love it and read it cover to cover ! Perhaps we're just very sad ! I will say the complete opposite applies to the C&CC magazine though ! Now they should save the printing costs !!! :)

Yet again this is an example of people being different isn't it !!!?

Guest Benzowner

Ooh ! How strange ! As soon as the CC Magazine comes through the door it's a fight between hubby and me to see who reads it first. We love it and read it cover to cover ! Perhaps we're just very sad ! I will say the complete opposite applies to the C&CC magazine though ! Now they should save the printing costs !!! :)

Read it cover to cover, and is a good read to be honest.

As do we, it a good magazine and reading it on a TV screen is not quite the same, apart from that, you can't squat flies with a laptop, too costly :D :D

As do we, it a good magazine and reading it on a TV screen is not quite the same, apart from that, you can't squat flies with a laptop, too costly :D :D

Fair point !! Wondered why my laptop stop working !!

Bill

We also fight to see who gets it first and we read it cover to cover, that said, I would like to see the magazine take a more robust and critical stance when reviewing products etc, as I believe they gloss over shortcomings and poor standards.

M

We also fight to see who gets it first and we read it cover to cover, that said, I would like to see the magazine take a more robust and critical stance when reviewing products etc, as I believe they gloss over shortcomings and poor standards.

M

I wasn't trying to comment on the content more the fact that it is available on-line with a PDF print facility as well as a first class Archive search section.

I don't know if it is still the case but the CC used to review products by their specification description rather than by using them.

Bill

Only glance at it, then bin it, nothing in it but adverts, and the C C saying how good they are.

Always read it from front to back. Far better than any that are in the newsagents!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I find it a reasonable read, good for an on the bog moment unlike a laptop! For people who aren't net happy like my in-laws it's actually one of the reasons they like being members. If the cost of production outwieghed the advertising revenue then I would think they need to look at it again.

How they could improve the content (and they could!) is a whole other matter!!

BTW should this not be in the Club section? My word a mod starting a thread in the wrong place tsk, tsk :D

Edited by LePhantom

Coachman Amara 380/2

It seems little more than an advertising mag with a few articles thrown in. Hard to find examples of how the "club" is working hard for me (a member) in a totally unbiased way.

That said, I know there are very many members who enjoy the mag.

My wife and I scrabble for both mags C&CC and CC. of the 2 CC seems to be the best. My wife likes the crosswords although I wish they would review MY towcar and MY caravan for once. Towcar of the year is good as it makes manufacturers aware of our requirements. I do however think that advertising revenue clouds their ability to criticise caravan manufacturers.

I think they should publish and be dammed. Regards Peter :o

Always read it front to back. Have a quick flick through first and read any important items that stand out, and then read the rest over the next couple of weeks. Find it very interesting and good subject matter. Do the same with the C&CC magazine, however I do fine the CC magazine is a better read (another discussion point?).

:)

My wife and I scrabble for both mags C&CC and CC. of the 2 CC seems to be the best. My wife likes the crosswords although I wish they would review MY towcar and MY caravan for once. Towcar of the year is good as it makes manufacturers aware of our requirements. I do however think that advertising revenue clouds their ability to criticise caravan manufacturers.

I think they should publish and be dammed. Regards Peter :o

I will admit that the on-line version doesn't seem to have a copy of the crossword !!

Bill

We get both & I glance through them & sometimes do the crosswords, then they get aimed at the bin - the recicle bin of course!

All 'trade' publications i've ever got have had the same fate. We used to get the sky one when we had sky & that never made it out of its plastic wrapper. Now we're with virgin, their monthly magazine is on line - not that i ever look at that either.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Never really read it. Be nice if it was in iPad format through Zinio or iBooks as that's where I read the rest of my monthly mags like TopGear, PC PRo or Practical Caravan. If it was under my face when I pick up the pad I'd probably flick through it more.

Always read it front to back. Have a quick flick through first and read any important items that stand out, and then read the rest over the next couple of weeks. Find it very interesting and good subject matter. Do the same with the C&CC magazine, however I do fine the CC magazine is a better read (another discussion point?).

:)

I think that the content has been discussed before and I, personally, also prefer the CC one to the C&CC one.

I suppose, as has been said already, that the cost (less than £5 per annum I make it) , is not worth worrying about.

Bill

Same here. I have been known to discreetly put it out of sight of hubby so I can get to read it first :D We both flick through it first and then have a really good read over the following few days.

I don't think I'd miss it as I get fed up with (what I think are) silly letters and the far-too-many-adverts. Having said that I do read some of the (more sensible) reviews but a lot of the content is just too lightwieght and it's far too self-promoting (I know: that's to be expected. ..)

It wouldn't worry me if I didn't get it anymore.

t.

I personally quite enjoy it but mainly for the travel articles, where they go off to some part of the UK or abroad. They have such rose-tinted spectacles (they made camping in the middle of a racecourse sound interesting!) BUT I find myself wishing I was there. ..

The letters section is the best and worst bit - normally, there are one or 2 good letters but the rest are utter dross and I wouldn't be surprised if they were made up by the staff to fill space ;)

It is annoying that they rarely criticise anything but then, neither do any of the mags you buy in the shop. ..

we both read the magazine, to buy a similar one In a shop would be £3+ that's £36 or your membetship fee back. I can't really see them passing on the savings made In reduced fees

i agree, unlike a lot of you we're relatively new to 'vanning and am still soaking up tips and info like a sponge, i enjoy the cc magazine, as it goes against the grain to fork out £4 + for the equivilant retail rags and most important for me i can take it to work and read it on my lunch break's etc, as we don't have the luxury of internet access in our canteen

the greatest benefit for the greatest number

I read it from cover to cover too, thing is it doesn;t take very long these days with some of the tripe in it, i. e. the Shane Barratt page,now that is a waste of paper.

Wish I had the option to opt out for a reduction in membership