Parking Up For Winter.

giro

hi folks. .after a bit of advice,when parking the caravan up for winter do i chock the wheels and release the handbrake or leave the handbrake on all winter. .and any other tips for the winter would be greatly appreciated.

The best tip I can give you is don`t park it up for winter, keep using it !

Bob

And don't mention winter just yet, i'm trying to pretend we got a summer this week!

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB

You dont really need to chock the wheels if u have the legs down, and i certainly wouldnt leave the handbrake on over winter, you might find it will seize on.

Personally i would get a set of winter wheels as well, saves your tyres from going oval shaped.

Dont forget to drain your water system down as well if your laying it up for winter.

Leave handbrake off. Do chock the wheels. I have known one of my caravans to move in a very severe storm even though the legs were down. It didn't move far but better chocked.

Jack up the caravan and put axle stands under the axle tube to keep the wheels off the ground so they don't develop flat spots. Handbrake off; steadies down; jockey wheel up. I don't want to restart the jockey wheel debate :ph34r: ; it's just what I do.

Steadies down, handbrake off (I once left it on when I didn't use it all year as I do now, and when I tried to manhandle it one brake stuck on and it only went round in circles! :) ), and chock the wheels.

I'm trying not restart the debate either, but jockey wheel down to relieve some of the pressure on the front steadies (that's what I used to do).

Don't remove the wheels and fit winter wheels or leave it jacked up with the wheels off the ground until you've checked your insurance policy, some won't cover you if the 'van cannot easily be moved in an emergency.

If you have to leave the weight on the wheels for a prolonged time then, jack them up periodically, give them a spin and leave the weight on a different part of the tyre.

Unless your storing it at home where you can easily hook the 'van up to mains, then it's also a good idea to take the battery home and give it a charge every 6-8 weeks to keep it in good condition.

You can get plastic tyre savers quite cheap. They go under the tyre and support it in a curved shaped base.

http://compare. ebay. co. uk/like/120635500198?clk_rvr_id=269920152341

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

There is a fairly comprehensive article on this subject in the current (October) edition of the Caravan Club magazine which you may find useful,

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Jack up the caravan and put axle stands under the axle tube to keep the wheels off the ground so they don't develop flat spots. Handbrake off; steadies down; jockey wheel up. I don't want to restart the jockey wheel debate :ph34r: ; it's just what I do.

Can anyone recomend any axle stands? I've always been on a seasonal pitch so the caravan is always on the tyres although sometimes it does get moved do a different pitch as there's work going on.

Compass Shadow 1988

Can anyone recomend any axle stands?

Unless you also have a car attached to the van or a proper Trolley Jack they are not easily to put under the van.

I did use them for 2 winters and they allow you to remove the wheels. (I then needed to find a storage for them)

Do not just raise the van with a scissor jack or it will collapse without the car to hold the van from twisting.

Let someone tell us the best/correct place to put them. I think the axle tube is NOT the best place.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Ok cheers, My Dad's the one with the car and towbar but he said himself ages ago he wouldn't use a scissor Jack

Compass Shadow 1988

Archived