Caravan Security Door Lock. Any Good Ones

Robrs2

Just got my elddis firestorm and it will be in use user winter while I'm on a contract job away from home. As I'll be adding a few extras to keep boredom away, ps3, 28"'flat screen, etc. I don't like the look of the plastic door lock.

Has anyone fitted a better one on.

Rob

Pretty new to caravanning myself but always on the lookout for bits and bobs. Came across this http://www. leisureoutlet. com/caravans-and-motorhomes/motorhome-and-caravan-security. html may be of help :)

I seen a caravan in storage with a proper yale lock fitted and quite fancy doing it myself as the plastic locks are rubbish and as I found out my Abi key fits my cousin's Lunar with no problem at all. However if someone's going to break in i'm sure they will, the windows aren't secure :unsure: I also use a wheel clamp and hitch lock on the outside

Compass Shadow 1988

I know the window are not good to but it's a bit more obvious if someone is climbing in or out the window.

The door locks are the worst bit and it's just plastic too

That thought has gone through my mind, but its what goes through the mind of 'numpty' who is going to break in (heaven forbid that it should happen). The sad thing is its difficult to understand the mindset of someone who would do that in the first place. If they're driven by the need to nick stuff to fund an addiction (booze, drugs, whatever) then their mindset is likely to be quite unpredictable.

Our van is on a seasonal pitch and I must admit to be paranoid about leaving 'stuff' in there because I view the van as being almost completely insecure. Sorry, don't mean to sound negative but I'm not sure there is much you can do that will be really effective. Making sure that you valuables are out of sight is probably a good start, so there is less to attract attention in the first place.

This is what happened to our van last year when someone tried to gain access

The door was badly damaged (pic is after the top was pushed back)and the side was holed in an attempt to remove the security lock

The window was then forced open breaking the catch and then when the alarm went off the culprit ran off without gaining access

This involved a new side skin to the top half of the side and although a good job initially it started to de laminate so it left us wondering if the type of security lock used was worth the trouble

It wouldn't fit the new Swift because the door to frame gap was too small so we now have the Milenco mainly so that my wife can use the handle feature

iscaravandoor2.jpg

caravandoor1.jpg

handrail.jpg

I was reading up on caravan crime last night. It really seems your in the hands of the gods as to what someone may try. Even to the point that it was said why fit a tracker. If it got traced to a traveller site the police dint want to know.

Seems this country is in a real mess.

I tend to think that the more security devices you fit the more you're saying "there's something in here worth nicking". A few friends and I used to drive old MG's and there was a school of thought that you should leave cars like that unlocked because if someone wants to get in they will and if you lock it they'll probably put a stanley knife through the soft top.

Even with a fort knox type door lock surely a crowbar would remove a window without much trouble.

I tend to think that the more security devices you fit the more you're saying "there's something in here worth nicking". A few friends and I used to drive old MG's and there was a school of thought that you should leave cars like that unlocked because if someone wants to get in they will and if you lock it they'll probably put a stanley knife through the soft top.

Even with a fort knox type door lock surely a crowbar would remove a window without much trouble.

Same here, that's why when the "curtain's open or shut" debate starts I usually leave mine open with everything out of sight so that a potential theif would think there's nothing worth nicking. Only cos when I first started caravanning I read it in CC magazine

Compass Shadow 1988

would agree with that, once had a mk1 fiesta xr2, had a steering lock on, even had a lock on the gear lever & handbrake but the tea leaves still had it away, replaced that with an aging ford orion 1. 6 ghia, never bothered locking it, several times left the keys in overnight,had it for 3 yrs, never got touched

when it comes to security in the home, car or tin tent, if they want it or whats in side it, they'll get to it, all we can do is to make it as hard as possible for them to get to our stuff in the hope that they'll take one look and move on to something a little less secure.

p. s. have just ordered one of these http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/FIAMMA-Safe-door-lock-Caravan-motorhome-camper-security-/280746480721?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item415dcb5451 , don't know how effective it'll be as it's made of aluminium but 23 quid seems fair for a visual deterent as well as a physical one

the greatest benefit for the greatest number

would agree with that, once had a mk1 fiesta xr2, had a steering lock on, even had a lock on the gear lever & handbrake but the tea leaves still had it away, replaced that with an aging ford orion 1. 6 ghia, never bothered locking it, several times left the keys in overnight,had it for 3 yrs, never got touched

when it comes to security in the home, car or tin tent, if they want it or whats in side it, they'll get to it, all we can do is to make it as hard as possible for them to get to our stuff in the hope that they'll take one look and move on to something a little less secure.

p. s. have just ordered one of these http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item415dcb5451 , don't know how effective it'll be as it's made of aluminium but 23 quid seems fair for a visual deterent as well as a physical one

You can see how effective it is from my pics above :unsure:

Caravans are so weak when it comes to security that they're probably impossible to protect. Best bet may be not to tempt the thief in the first place, maybe closing blinds when you're away on site and the van is unoccupied may be some sort of deterrent.

Security for a door will be a frame set in a solid wall, a solid door well fitted into the frame with good hinges and a good lock.

If you jump to the good lock and forget the rest then the lock is worthless. I am fairly sure you could pop a door on any van open in a couple of seconds. The amount the catch goes into the frame is probably 10mm at best and the frame will easily have that much flex in it.

So I think you get to the point as indicated above where you may as well take the course of firstly not putting too much that is portable and of value in a van, then putting in some security but not so much it draws attention to the van and then causes more damage to the van than the value of the TV taken.

Before this year we camped with a trailer tent for 10 years and has no problems with only a zip for security.

I have a lock the same as Watson had, I thinks its good, locks "open" too for when you are inside. I also have fitted houshold rack bolts to the door for when I am inside.

Yes the caravan will probably be wrecked if someone really tries to get in but then I the insurance company pays up. But the "look" of the lock will deter many casual thiefs to move on to the next van that has a standard rubbish lock.

As already stated by others; a caravan is NOT a secure place, whether locked or not. The standard locks on many caravans are little more than plastic, although additional locks are available from the likes of Fiamma, Milenco and others. It is just my opinion, but I believe that you are much more likely to have your caravan broken into when it is in storage, or parked at home, than when on a site. So the place you store it, is the place that needs the maximum security.

A little story:

On a caravan rally a friend of ours locked herself out of her caravan, and came to us for assistance. I said I would open her caravan for her, and set off down the field. She followed behind walking slower. When she reached her caravan (100 yards?), I opened her caravan door from the inside to greet her, having entered through a locked window a few seconds earlier without causing any damage. That is how secure her caravan window was!

Now window locks are a little better than that on most caravans today, but I think you get the point. Don't leave anything in a caravan that you would not leave in a tent, and you won't go far wrong.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

As already stated by others; a caravan is NOT a secure place, whether locked or not. The standard locks on many caravans are little more than plastic, although additional locks are available from the likes of Fiamma, Milenco and others. It is just my opinion, but I believe that you are much more likely to have your caravan broken into when it is in storage, or parked at home, than when on a site. So the place you store it, is the place that needs the maximum security.

A little story:

On a caravan rally a friend of ours locked herself out of her caravan, and came to us for assistance. I said I would open her caravan for her, and set off down the field. She followed behind walking slower. When she reached her caravan (100 yards?), I opened her caravan door from the inside to greet her, having entered through a locked window a few seconds earlier without causing any damage. That is how secure her caravan window was!

Now window locks are a little better than that on most caravans today, but I think you get the point. Don't leave anything in a caravan that you would not leave in a tent, and you won't go far wrong.

Gordon.

How right you are, I done this to enter my own 'vans several times, much to the amazement of others, using nothing more than a piece of bent wire. I now carry 3 sets of keys (1 with MOH) in the vain hope that at least 1 set will be available to get back in!

One of the reasons I chose a Valencia: at least it has locking handles on the windows. I don't expect it to be much more secure, but every little helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Caravan door locks. After having my caravan broken into while in storage I looked into fitting a more secure lock. After some thought I came to the conclusion that at least the thieves only damaged the lock, had it been more secure can you imagin the damage they would have done to the door. I chose to fit the same type of lock as original and don't leave valuables in the caravan.

morning all. had my van broken into last year, not by the door but by the front side window, £500. to have window replaced as they broke the frame as well as the window. so iff they want to be in they will.

Archived