Dumfries & Galloway

Brighouse Bay

Have been going to Brighouse Bay on and off since Wee Smeesh was born. A large,friendly child safe site that has practically everything you would need for a family holiday. Beach, Indoor Pool, large outdoor play areas, Bar / Food with light entertainment. Smashing if not tough 18 Hole Golf Course. The Site itself is very large but has lots of hidden pitches so don't get that big site feeling. Have got friendly with some of the permanent staff over the years and can say it is one of my top 5 favourite sites.

Went last weekend for 3 night with Wee Smeesh who is now 14 after a two year break. At just over 70 squid quite expensive for 3 nights with Hook up and Telly Point. Although the Gardens and grass areas are maintained to a good standard was shocked to see the Site seems to have lost its vision in maintaining what was once a great holiday destination with its equally high standards. To many Big Hobby's on all year seasonal pitches with there Paddy's Market Gizmo's and Garden Huts attached. Some of the Vans looked well passed it. Toilets : Three different showers I used and all flooded and cold in the morning,cracked windows and a good old deep clean required. Public Telephone still not working.( wasn't working two years ago ) No Mobile Signals on this Site with only some Networks giving Emergency Contact Number. So no way of contacting the Emergency Service when the Club is shut. The Bar was clean but very expensive with poorly trained Bar Staff. The outdoor Patio area was a shambles, fag ends everywhere, furniture in need of painting with rusting railings with very sharp edges. Hanging Baskets and flower beds looked like a scene from the Adams Family. The food again expensive and needing a Touch of Gordon Ramsey to tell the Site Chef there is more to life than a Micro Wave and deep fat fryer.

So come on Gillespie Leisure get your finger out and get this Site back to the Flag Ship it used be and be as proud as the Meteor Aircraft Gate Guard you use. Don't think I will be back to Brighouse Bay but shall certainly be returning to the area. ..............

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ........... :angry:

Been more than a few years since I was at Brighouse Bay. Actually a few decades! We used to stay at Cardoness just outside Gatehouse of Fleet & I remember many a rainy afternoon in the gem museum at Creetown or driving up Raiders Run.

Cardoness is now statics only - shame as it's beautiful, but isn't there a site actually in Gatehouse?

Hi RhayaderSax,

Yes ! Think its called Anworth Holiday Park. Stayed there once many,many Moons ago. Not much there to be honest. Couple of times in the past my route would start at Brighouse Bay for a few day's for Wee Smeesh then take the coast road, main road to Stranraer bye passing Gatehouse, Newton Stewart, Wigton etc and head for Port Patrick at Castle View. Always found the weather better in the South of Scotland plus worked locally for a while so had a few friends to visit. I don't like running Sites down and usually keep away from the bigger Sites but Brighouse had a lot to offer especially for the kids and never ever had any bother you often read about on our Forum. Personally think the Site Manager and Leisure Manager have been there to long and lost focus. New blood required me thinks !!!

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ......... :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ........... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ........

Hi G. A. S.

I have very fond memories of that particular coast when I was a kid. This will age me but it was only in my latter years of visiting with my parents that Gatehouse even had a bypass. I remember them building it - funny story follows. ...

The bypass work went from town to town up the coast over time & the band of workmen were followed by a troup of "ladies of the night." I was in my early teens when the bypass reached Gatehouse. The one night I was sat in my Dad's car outside the Angel Hotel with my Vimpto & Crisps when two said "ladies" exited the hotel, evidently arguing over a punter. Things got very nasty & lots of swearing, kicking, scratching, hair-pulling & eye-gouging ensued on the carpark. My dad only explained what it was about without my mother present & with rather a red faced to boot. The image of brawling hookers still haunts me 25 or so years on! ***SHUDDER***

Backtracking, the last I heard you could still visit Cardoness on a day pass. Don't take this as gospel & please check. If you can it's REALLY worth a visit.

My childhood memories of the place will stay with me forever. The "pidgeon holes" where you placed your order for fresh bread rolls & milk to be left in the morning - settling your bill "on trust" in the village at the end of the week. The pubs that didn't care if you were 14 as long as you behaved yourself, the pints of heavy (ouch). The days spent Cockling & trading some of your days catch with the neighbours that cooked up fresh blackberry jam. The sailing & land-surfing. Even the odd year when the sand was too hot to walk on!! Fond memories indeed but there are always the blood thirsty (and infamous) Scottish midges to keep you on your toes.

I would love to go back & show my other half a piece of my childhood.

shall certainly be returning to the area. ..............

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ........... :angry:

Sorry you're experience wasn't great at Brighouse but next time give us a look - Kings Green Caravan Park in Port William http://www. portwilli. ..site/index. html we are a community run site (two part time wardens are paid) & everything goes back into the village. All grass pitches, some flatter than others, 22 with EHU, great views, 2 showers & 2 loos in both ladies & gents & they are clean if a little dated but we do our best. We had a lovely review the other day which made us very proud and at the start of the season the AA chap uped our % to 75% so we are doing ok!!

Visitors to D&G, PLEASE stick us in your notebook!

Thanks

MumnTed

Brighouse Bay

. ...........................................

At just over 70 squid quite expensive for 3 nights with Hook up and Telly Point.

. ..........................................

Am I right in saying that Brighouse Bay is listed in the Camping Cheque scheme as accepting their camping cheques during Off Peak? If so, that would be cheap at £15. 00 a night for two adults, car+caravan, plus EHU.

Worth thinking about !!

Am I right in saying that Brighouse Bay is listed in the Camping Cheque scheme as accepting their camping cheques during Off Peak? If so, that would be cheap at £15. 00 a night for two adults, car+caravan, plus EHU.

Worth thinking about !!

Hi Keith,

Definitely worth thinking about if they were to get there act together which hopefully they will.

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ............. :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . .......... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . .........

Sorry you're experience wasn't great at Brighouse but next time give us a look - Kings Green Caravan Park in Port William http://www. portwilli. ..site/index. html we are a community run site (two part time wardens are paid) & everything goes back into the village. All grass pitches, some flatter than others, 22 with EHU, great views, 2 showers & 2 loos in both ladies & gents & they are clean if a little dated but we do our best. We had a lovely review the other day which made us very proud and at the start of the season the AA chap uped our % to 75% so we are doing ok!!

Visitors to D&G, PLEASE stick us in your notebook!

Thanks

MumnTed

Admin comment:

Permission has been given to link to Kings Green website.

Hi Mum 'n' Ted,

Thanks for the heads up on Kings Green. 90% chance me and Wee Smeesh heading down during the October Week Holidays for 3 or 4 nights. Do you think I may have to Book to be safe ? Delivered a lot of Drainage Utilities last week at Creetown Holiday Park. Never used it looks ok but had some mixed reviews plus when I drive for the Coopy do Newton Stewart and Wigton so know the area well. Plus worked at the Freugh for nearly two years. Me and Wee Smeesh just chill out when away giving Her Royal Highness a break. Get him a new X Box Game and I go exploring to find a new watering hole. My only concern how is the telly reception ? Do you receive Digi Telly ? Telly is handy when the weather changes for the worst and I know the reception can be poor in places. Thanks again. ........... ;)

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ............ :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ......... Jagaur S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . .........

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mum 'n' Ted,

Thanks for the heads up on Kings Green. 90% chance me and Wee Smeesh heading down during the October Week Holidays for 3 or 4 nights. Do you think I may have to Book to be safe ? Delivered a lot of Drainage Utilities last week at Creetown Holiday Park. Never used it looks ok but had some mixed reviews plus when I drive for the Coopy do Newton Stewart and Wigton so know the area well. Plus worked at the Freugh for nearly two years. Me and Wee Smeesh just chill out when away giving Her Royal Highness a break. Get him a new X Box Game and I go exploring to find a new watering hole. My only concern how is the telly reception ? Do you receive Digi Telly ? Telly is handy when the weather changes for the worst and I know the reception can be poor in places. Thanks again. ........... ;)

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ............ :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ......... Jagaur S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . .........

Sorry, sorry, sorry! Only just noticed this post from you! Take it you didn't come down. .....? The weather was not the best during half term if I recall.

Not great watering holes in Port William I'm afraid, nearest one with real Ale is Isle of Whithorn.

The tv reception aint great in fact if you've not got sky its Ulster TV & pretty sure it's not digital.

Booking is generally not required except at summer weekends & our Carnival week which is 1st week in Aug.

Hope you manage to drop in sometime. Site reopens again March 2012.

MumnTed

Saying all of that the views are GREAT!

• 1 year later...

Am I right in saying that Brighouse Bay is listed in the Camping Cheque scheme as accepting their camping cheques during Off Peak? If so, that would be cheap at £15. 00 a night for two adults, car+caravan, plus EHU. Worth thinking about !!

Brighouse Bay used to take camping cheques not anymore tho. I emailed them to confirm this but they didnt reply:-( We were planning a trip to Brighouse Bay but reviews aren't the best especially as its quite expensive to stay there.