Fire Buckets

Barry J

We often see red fire buckets at the front of caravans on sites.

I've read something from the C&CC that say they are recommended on their sites.

What is the real situation with fire buckets - are there any rules about them or is it an optional thing ?

Using fire buckets at a THS, campers managed to put out a caravan fire before the brigade arrived. Major damage was avoided.

This was on page 9 of the C and CC magazine.

All C and CC members are recommended to have a bucket placed at the Hitch filled with water.

Simple to provide and who knows when they may be needed. The CC don't seem to bother?

Edited by Lefthand Down

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I must admit I thought there were loads more red fire buckets visible on CC sites this year (mostly empty) - my personal take on this was that it was this year's 'must have' accessory.

We carry an all purpose fire extinguisher with us inside the caravan and easily accessible.

The fire bucket is for your neighbour in case of fire as if you are out they cannot get your extinguisher

Its also handy if you burn yourself whilst BBQ'ing

Like LHD i have seen caravans with less damage just by a lot of water being used from the said buckets :)

Its also handy if you burn yourself whilst BBQ'ing

The fire bucket was used on a site when a child was burned on the hand with a gas lit lamp. (young child)

The first thing was plunge the hand in the cold water instantly. Fresh cold water was then used. The wound was then wrapped with cling film to keep out germs and maintain moisture until hospital treatment (20 miles away) was given.

This instant first aid resulted in a total recovery of the child who has no marks to show from what could have been serious scarring.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Do we have anyone here who can give a 'professional' opinion on the use of fire buckets ??

My first thought is that water is often not the best extinguisher to use on a fire. Great for an awning or tent perhaps but surely positively dangerous for an electrical or cooking related fire.

Logic says a fire bucket or extinguisher should be handy but the user needs to make a very quick judgement as to which to use. If only a bucket is available then the temptation would be to use that with, perhaps, dangerous results.

DaveS1

DaveS1

Not an expert. ..but quite experienced. ..It's down to your individual assessment of the risk. If the tent or awning next to you was ablaze, a fire bucket would be the quickest extinguisher to hand and if CCC guidance were followed by all, there would be plenty to hand. ..should you feel it safe to assist, as personal safety obviously comes first. ..unless of course others are at risk. Water should not be used on electrical fires or 'chip pan' type fires as you rightly say, but a fire bucket thrown over any electrical equipment in an awning or tent served from a site supply via your rig's distribution would be RCD protected and should trip should a short circuit occur. There would be higher risks from a burning caravan, like potentially exploding gas cylinders so water would also help as a coolant, especially if sufficient were applied (many fire buckets) to extinguish the fire from outside. Extinguishers are excellent within a caravan so I carry both.

I also use my fire bucket to fill the toilet flush.

My red bucket was free with cleaning materials from Halfords a few years back and it's full and outside the 'van door as soon as we are pitched. We have a fire extinguisher and fire blanket too.

As has already been said in a fire it could do good and is not likely to do any harm. I used to use it to fill the loo flush too but now use a cheapo watering can for that. I, too, need to make sure that the dog has not drunk the water but in the UK the weather often ensures "auto-refilling".

Tim

Do we have anyone here who can give a 'professional' opinion on the use of fire buckets ??

My first thought is that water is often not the best extinguisher to use on a fire. Great for an awning or tent perhaps but surely positively dangerous for an electrical or cooking related fire.

Logic says a fire bucket or extinguisher should be handy but the user needs to make a very quick judgement as to which to use. If only a bucket is available then the temptation would be to use that with, perhaps, dangerous results.

DaveS1

Hi Dave,

I have written about firefighting in caravans, from a professional point of view, on quite a few occasions if you do a search you may find a quite comprehensive post on the various extinguishing agents and action to take in case of fire, both before and after. I have looked myself on a number of occasions but it seems to have disappeared,

Regards,

Ian.

I looked at getting one of those buckets, but it was a con. It had 'Fire' written on the outside but was actually full of water. ...

Seriously though, hitting a fire that has not had time to take hold with a bucket full of water can save the day.

I plonk a 6L foam extinguisher just in front of the awning - side of the 'van towards the hitch. Obvious enough to find but not obvious enough for some idiot to find and squirt his mate with at night.