Another Battery Problem

Calendula

When we get back from a trip out in the van we always plug in to recharge the battery and then check it every week or so to make sure its still ok. Normally its fine and still holding the charge but today on checking it the level was down to below 10. The 110 amp battery was new in June when we fitted movers. I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions or ideas please what might be causing this.

Are you saying it is down to 10 volts after a few days use without topping up?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

If its less than 10V, its very flat.

Could be a problem with the charger, the battery or the fact that something has been left on and is draining it.

When we get back from a trip out in the van we always plug in to recharge the battery and then check it every week or so to make sure its still ok. Normally its fine and still holding the charge but today on checking it the level was down to below 10. The 110 amp battery was new in June when we fitted movers. I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions or ideas please what might be causing this.

"level down below 10" ----- is that 10v according to the mimic panel or according to a volt meter?

if the former, get one of the latter and be sure. .

i had a slight problem with a battery . ... it did'nt seem to last long and the thing was always flat when i came to use the movers . ... sorted the problem eventually !! i had been laving the heater fan on in manual mode :rolleyes: . the continual fan was taking the power, and me being a deaf b'stard didn't hear it running . .. always hit the 'master' switch now :)

Have you checked voltage of the battery at the terminals with a multimeter when it is connected to the car before your return home.

With the car revving faster than tick-over you should see 14 volts approx. At normal tick-over it may drop back to 12. 5 volts

This means the car is charging the battery while you drive home.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Are you saying it is down to 10 volts after a few days use without topping up?

No we've not used it for 3 weeks. Topped it up by plugging in when we got home and it had been okay and showing full charge (when checked last week) but today its down to 10. The thing is though the switch to turn on the charger on the consumer unit popped out of the case when we were last away so OH refitted it on our return and he disconnected the wires to refit and has just this minute wondered if he has rewired it incorrectly. Is it possible that could be causing the charge to drain?

If it is wired with wrong polarity you will have a problem.

You may need a meter to check which is which wire.

If correctly fitted you should get 13. 5 volts at the battery terminals.

Connecting the charger wrongly could have have blown a fuse.

Some chargers have polarity protection built in.

Thanks for your replies. OH will check out the wiring tomorrow. Everythings been working okay and battery was fine until today but perhaps the wiring fault has been slowly draining it .

But you still have not answered the question. What is 10?

Is it some scale on board the van? Is it volts at leisure battery?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

But you still have not answered the question. What is 10?

Is it some scale on board the van? Is it volts at leisure battery?

Its the level showing on the panel next to the switches for battery car/van and lights, pump, aux. It usually shows about 14

• 4 weeks later...

Was this problem resolved?

Looks like something is left on and draining the battery. Lots of threads on this, but basically you need to use a multimeter on the battery terminals both to check the real voltage, and also to measure any load in amps that ther might be that is draining the battery.

I suppose it could be a duff new battery, not likely but not imposible.

Archived