Bailey Ranger & Vectra Nose Weight

Hayden

Ive got a 2007/08 Bailey Ranger 510/4 and a '08 Vectra 1. 6 CDTI (150bhp) and havent got a clue what the nose weight on my van should be??

I got a gauge and the van which is empty inside apart form tea bags, coffee and the battery is about 120kg!! all I have in the front locker is 2 gas bottles (they are the new ones which Im told are lighter? the spare wheel and a few of my lads toys (plastic cricket set etc) I took the spare wheel out and it went down to about 95kg. I was thinking of leaving the spare wheel at home and getting a can of the tyre weld type stuff??

Any ideas or help please

Thanks

Stuart

We used to tow with an 06 Vectra and the noseweight was 75kg have a look on whattowcar. com and you should get the info reqd. I would be tempted to pop the spare wheel in the boot of the car or if weight permitting in the van as cans of tyre weld stuff for a caravan in my opinion are a waste of time as most times you see a van on the side of the road with a flat tyre it is beyond repair. Check with your breakdown cover as well as most will only help you out provided you have a serviceable spare.

Dave

75 kgs but after 2003 - 78kgs. I would aim for about 70kgs . I would try putting the spare at the rear of the caravan that will reduce noseweight to near 70kgs. sealant wont fix a blow out tyre as the hole would be to large and once used it means a new tyre .

Your hitch only has a 100kg limit

Dave

found out nose weight is 78kg,

I just dont understand why my van is at about 95kg without the spare wheel in the holder?? and there is nothing in the van.

Surely with the 2 gas bottles and spare wheel it shouldn't be 120kg??

Going to be a right pain having a spare wheel to find a home for when we arrive at a site, we do alot of weekends and often dont have a awning up.

would I not need a carrier? or is just chaining it to the chassis ok?

Pop it under the van and chain and padlock it to the chassis

Sorry just got what you ment!! when im on site lock it under the van :rolleyes:

Should not be a problem.

If it is empty now on 120kg and you put in your kit just in the back the weight you put in reduces the nose weight.

So with the awning, chairs, flush water in the loo, waste and fresh water carriers on board it will drop the nose weight by a fair bit.

Alternatively, if a gas bottle is 20g say, then move it from front to back and it drops the nose weight by 40g.

They do advise against putting lots of weight right at the back though.

found out nose weight is 78kg,

I just dont understand why my van is at about 95kg without the spare wheel in the holder?? and there is nothing in the van.

Surely with the 2 gas bottles and spare wheel it shouldn't be 120kg??

Going to be a right pain having a spare wheel to find a home for when we arrive at a site, we do alot of weekends and often dont have a awning up.

Just put the spare wheel centrally behind the axle inside the caravan, when you arrive on site put it back in the gas locker.

Hi Stuart,

Load your van with all the kit you would normally take with you. .....then check the noseweight. ...and reposition with all the heavy stuff over the axle and lighter stuff near the front and rear. This can take some jiggling but you will get there in the end. I picked up my new caravan from my dealer and could not get the noseweight right until I got home and put all our gear ondoard, soon had the right combination of where to store things. You may want to fit an under chassis wheel carrier, definately helps, but is awkward to remove in the event of necessity!!!

Regards

M

Archived