Removing Aerial For Winter

Ellisfield

New to vanning this year so not had this issue.

Just about to get a cover to put the van away for winter then thought "what about the flying saucer?"

It is a standard type by Status and cant leave it on with a cover on the van. So how does it come off?

I seem to have a base and then three or four dots, that are screws or allen screws or something. do these undo it or does it all just unscrew?

Once off do I need to blank off the top with anything. And I am assuming the base bit stays on there and is OK with a cover.

Help most appreciated - did not want to break it.

Thanks

Thanks for fast replies!

I had not thought of that option . It will be a bit of a lump still on there and may make the cover fit badly though.

It seems fairly useless anyway as I have not managed to get it to work (even with a signal booster) so perhaps I will set about it and take it off all together so the cover fits more snug. I am in a fairly exposed position with open fields around and did have worries that the cover would be a problem either flapping around or ripping in the wind.

It is firmly attached to a long cable on it's underside.

Before you try to remove it ask someone to have a look at it for you. At £90 it seems a waste not to find out what may be wrong with it first.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

IMO the status omnidirectional flying saucer is pretty useless for freeview in all but the strongest signal area, which generally is not where you go caravanning. Dont think you will miss much by removing it. It was however very good for my DAB radio.

IMO the status omnidirectional flying saucer is pretty useless for freeview in all but the strongest signal area, which generally is not where you go caravanning. Dont think you will miss much by removing it. It was however very good for my DAB radio.

I hardly ever watch TV at home. In the van OH is never interested in watching it either. Bought a new TV for the van last year :rolleyes: . We use it for the built in DVD player to watch videos. We have watched about 5 videos during the last 10 weeks away. That is on 4 different sites. Each time I retuned the TV just out of interest and found a good digital reception using the status aerial. May just be coincidence but, on the few occasions that I tried with the older TV in digital reception area (just out of interest again whilst setting up the dvd player) it has worked fine.

I hardly ever watch TV at home. In the van OH is never interested in watching it either. Bought a new TV for the van last year :rolleyes: . We use it for the built in DVD player to watch videos. We have watched about 5 videos during the last 10 weeks away. That is on 4 different sites. Each time I retuned the TV just out of interest and found a good digital reception using the status aerial. May just be coincidence but, on the few occasions that I tried with the older TV in digital reception area (just out of interest again whilst setting up the dvd player) it has worked fine.

The flying saucer i had on the previous van was useless for me, maybe there was something wrong with it. The new vas got a fancy directional status up/down twisty swivel thing but will probably stick to sat dish as i find it easy to setup.

Same here, mine was useless, i got a blanking plate & took it off. Now i use a tripod & old sky dish. Best move i ever made . :-)

Thanks for fast replies!

I had not thought of that option . It will be a bit of a lump still on there and may make the cover fit badly though.

It seems fairly useless anyway as I have not managed to get it to work (even with a signal booster) so perhaps I will set about it and take it off all together so the cover fits more snug. I am in a fairly exposed position with open fields around and did have worries that the cover would be a problem either flapping around or ripping in the wind.

Are you using a Freeview TV, some areas are digital only

my flying saucer works fine.

Guest SimplySimon

Never bothered with a cover on advice of a few - on the basis if windy it will flap against the van and in time scratch the surface ?

Never bothered with a cover as it makes such an awful racket as you drive down the motorway!!!

No we feel that as we use our caravan at least once a month a cover would soon be relegated to being used as a cover for the collection of road bikes, which, like weeds, seem prolific in our garden ;)

I recall that you can separate the whole dish leaving the "plinth" like base still firmly fixed to the roof.

There is a stainless steel grub screw under the dome that clamps it onto the plinth's spigot. After loosening this the dome assembly including coax wire draws out upwards; providing they left a big enough roof hole for the coax plug to exit; I had to take the plug off mine.

They provide a red plastic blanking plug that seals the plinths hole but any trimmed down plastic container will do as long as you tape it down so it cant blow or get knocked off.

As JTQ says :)

if you don't have the white plug for your Frisbee 315 (red for 530) then someone on here recommended using wine bottle plastic corks,

I removed the lot as we couldn't get a signal in the areas we go to & fitted the blanking plate (I use a real aerial)

see the accessories web page for grade

000192.jpg

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Archived