Which Type Of Smoke Alarm?

Eddles

Hi all,

Which type of smoke alarm is best for caravans? The ionisation (standard) type or the optical (aka toast proof) type? I guess optical would be best as it won't go off in case of cooking but I don't know whether it would detect the type of fire that would happen in caravans? I could use a heat sensor alarm but I'm deaf and the specific alarm designed for the deaf I'm getting don't have a heat sensor as part of their range. Tried to search the forums for this but couldn't find anything.

Many thanks for advice!

Despite their potential for 'false' alarms, might I suggest that what you want in a caravan is sensitivity. Most modern alarms can be temporarily disabled whan cooking etc. so I wouldn't be afraid of going for ionisation. A caravan fire could be well established whilst waiting for a heat sensor to react. Prior to retirement, in a previous life working at a University, a couple of student kitchen fires (leaving stuff on hobs/toasters) were detected by corridor ionisation sensors before the local heat sensors had reacted.