Bailey Pegasus - Mover In Front Or Behind Axle

littlebasher

Now that i'll shortly be getting a new Pegasus 534, where are owners putting the motor mover

In front of the axle or behind?...Does the spare wheel carrier stop it going behind even!

Where's yours ?

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB

Its usual to fit the mover in front of the wheel to minimise spray from the wheel onto the mover

Powrtouch do a bracket conversion to move the spare wheel carrier towards the rear on the Alko chassis usually needed when twin axle 4 unit movers are fitted

I had my Reich with inboard mounted motors fitted to the rear of the axle, this takes around 4kg of the nose weight.

As my caravan has the fixed bed, i also removed the ALKO carrier and put the spare wheel in a easily accessible place under the bed, where it rests nice and clean.

The wheel is also further to the rear than it was originally.

The other plus is you increase the payload allowance by the weight of the mover, 7kg i think?.

The downside is the ALKO jacking points need to be removed with most movers, however with my model i can still use the jacking points with my carajack, you should also be able to use a kojack lite.

As my Reich is a powder coated galvanized version with stainless steel bolts i don't see corrosion as a problem, and as my rig tows nose down, the mover gains a little more road clearance.

My POWR was fitted by the dealer in front. I discussed this with POWR due to noseweight issues and they advised to leave the mover in front.

It was the noseweight uncertainty i was worried about - i've read that the Pegasus is hard to get to an acceptable noseweight, i therefore didn't want to be adding to the problem by putting the mover in front of the axle.

Chances are that's where it'll end up anyway, on my last caravan the spare wheel carrier and the jacking points dictated that i pop it on the front.

Guest Candy1664

I recently fitted a Powrtouch HD to my Peg 534 in front of the wheels. No fitting issues, no noseweight issues, no ground clearance issues.

oh. ..and it works!! :D

our reich is in front of the axle. noseweight is acceptable at around 75-80kg

Guest Candy1664

With Mover in front of axle I find best towing stability at 85-90Kg, but I find moving stuff around really makes a huge difference to the NW so I can quite easily control it.

Had our mover fitted to the rear of our series 7 Burgundy, moved the spare wheel under the fixed bed. No problems in 2. 5 years

Our 2011 Lunar has a Reich mover also fitted behind the wheels, and again the spare wheel goes under the fixed bed.

In both cases removed the spare wheel carrier completely and sold them on.

You can get a simple mounting bracket from Reich that fits onto the cross bar and allows the ALKO jack to be used. I had this fitted to my present mover.

as said earlier the Reich uses top quality material. I have just been under the caravan to oil/grease the mover and was very pleasantly surprised to to find everything as new. Then again the motors with the Reich are mounted inside the chasis in a high position away from wheel spray.

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

Similar to other members, had my single wheel PowrTouch mover fitted to the rear wheel of my twin axle caravan. The PowrTouch sales guy at the NEC Caravan show where I ordered my caravan said this position was better for turning a twin axle van with a single drive unit. He recommended that nose wheel be wound up as far as you can take it taking some on the scrubbng effect off the front wheels making the turning easier.

I have found this to be exactly as he said and have had absolutely no problems.

Yes I too had to have the spare wheel carrier and a drain pipe moved to allow this fitting.

I was also concerened about noseweight as my Pageant S6 Limousin rolled off the production line with a 80lb noseweight before anything like gas bottles and stuff loaded up so on the rear axle was in line with keeping the weight off the forward end.

If I were you I would get the dealer to weigh it with your Gas bottle(s) in and Battery on and make a judgement then. From mine and a number of other members experience on the Valencia, the published exworks noseweight is (or was) not always what you got. I had 105kg in the condition that Bailey weigh it as "exworks" - carpets and all moveable accessories under the rear bed. Bailey had advised before I ordered that it would be approx 88kg. I think the movers are better in front of the axle but in my case with such a large variance from the spec and a target 90kg limit on the car I found loosing the mover weight of about 4kg was extremely useful so that with the battery on and the mover behind the wheels I was at 92kg (no gas) compared to 100kg in front (no gas). Bear in mind that it is not just taking off 4kg from the nose weight but also avoiding putting 4kg on - so you will "win" about 8kg by putting behind the wheels with a powr touch vs infront.

We use the rear bed storage for most things and I can get the desired nose weight.

As said my advise: check the real weight with battery on and gas in and see if you need to fit it behind based on your car's needs and expected loading (although 100kg is the max the hitch should be used at anyway).

Bailey Unicorn S3 Cartagena, Volvo XC60 D5.

The dealer fitted my mover to the front of the wheels on my Unicorn Valencia. I found that the noseweight was too high to be able to load the caravan sensibly i. e. in the same traditional fashion that worked so well with previous vans, including the Senator. No way was I going to adopt some of the suggestions for balancing the van such as putting everything under the bed, putting gas bottles in the boot of the car (or in the bathroom), leaving front lockers empty. I want convenience, and everything in the right place.

The mover was refitted behind the wheels, saving 8kg. This entailed removing the spare wheel carrier and jack brackets and putting the spare wheel in the tray under the bed, together with a small trolley jack - far more convenient than the alko carrier - have you ever tried changing a wheel on the road? This netted a further 8kg. I did have to realign the drains to a position further back. This is the third van the PwrTouch has been on, so it's not looking pristine, but it works fine behind the wheels.

I can now carry two calorlites in the gas locker, use the other two front external lockers for the usual bits and pieces, let the missus load up inside the way she wants, and the underbed is free for anything else.

My target noseweight is 100kg which is the hitch limit, but usually find it around the 105kg mark which I'm happy with. But if I change my car and need to reduce the noseweight then I am now able to. Incidentally I found the Valencia tows better with a heavier noseweight.

I suspect many caravans of all makes are severely overloaded above their normal specification for both noseweight and MTPLM, but no-one worries too much about it.

I had the Powrtouch mover fitted behind the wheels.

I measured the noseweight before & after and it made about 10Kg Noseweight difference.

The mover works properly and over the season has not collected lots of dirt etc that needed cleaning any more than a front fitted mover on my previous van.

With Bailey shipping out vans with a noseweight around or greater than 100Kg, then the 10kg from fitting the mover behind the wheels was very valuable.

The dealer did not charge extra for the powrtouch bits required to fit the mover behind the wheels.

In the same circumstamces, I wouldn't hesitate to fit it behind the wheels again.

i found its a real small margin to get the best stability . i do agree its better slightly nose heavy for stability with these vans but got to be so careful not to overload towball weight on car . on our first tow with the pegasus loaded up the way we loaded our previous vans i was shocked to see 120kg on the nose . no wonder it towed like a pig first trip . i reckon 85-90kg to be the best for stability but im on the limit or just over on the towball.

there appears to be a fine balancing act on these vans between getting the stabilty right versus the correct noseweight,certainly in comparison to other vans we`ve owned that just towed perfectly weather you had 70kg on the nose or 90kg

at the nec i spoke to truma and they advised fitting my truma 's' infront of the wheels, this i did and no problems at all, noseweight was an issue when i first bought the van but by experimenting with loading it is no longer an issue. :)

Thanks for the comments, will have a play at the weekend and decide where to mount it!

BTW, what's the easiest way to get into the unit behind the fire

Guest Candy1664

If you lift up the bed there is a panel (4 screws) covering the side of the fire unit, take that panel off and you are in (careful when putting it back because it only fits properly one way!!)

If you lift up the bed there is a panel (4 screws) covering the side of the fire unit, take that panel off and you are in (careful when putting it back because it only fits properly one way!!)

Great, thanks for that. Wouldn't have thought of looking there

Popped it on in front in the end, couldn't be bothered to move the spare wheel carrier nor the plumbing that runs on the other side.

It's fully loaded now ready for a trip away - will be interesting to see what noseweight i get and how much moving around of awnings etc is required to trim it out.

• 6 months later...

Popped it on in front in the end, couldn't be bothered to move the spare wheel carrier nor the plumbing that runs on the other side.

It's fully loaded now ready for a trip away - will be interesting to see what noseweight i get and how much moving around of awnings etc is required to trim it out.

Refitted my Powrtouch HD to my Ancona today(between showers). Intention being to fit it behind the wheels. But this would of meant repositioning waste pipes and resiting the waste outlets, also buying the special plates to relocate the Alko carrier. It just wasn't worth it. Doin front of the wheels it went