Recommended Tyre Pressure

Bigneil

I'm sorry to bring this up, as you probably get asked this all the time. My van is an old Elddis shamal 4 berth. Don't know what year, don't have a handbook, nor can I find the plate with the weights stamped on it.

S7000063.jpg

I would like to know what the recommended tyre pressure is? or if there is a formula for weight Vs tyre size. ? and also I'd like to double check the weight with you guys, I googled about and came to the conclusion that this van weighs 762 kilos with a MTPLM of 996 kilos. anybody want to take a guess at the year.

As a rough guide -

Max laden weight of van (kg) x max pressure of tyre (PSI) = approximate pressure PSI (PSI)

Max load of BOTH tyres (kg)

so if van weighs 996 max,. tyres are rated at 600kg each max @ 47PSI, then

996 x 47 = 39PSI (approx)

I would usually err on the side of caution and stick a couple of PSI extra in - safer to have too high a pressure, than too low!

I went out to look at the information on the tyre walls, and have come to the conclusion that I need new ones. ..the previous owner has fitted car tyres

155/80 78S . ...... :( the load index code is stating a max of 425 kilos per tyre = total of 950 which is lower than my MTPLM of 996 kilos.

EEEK !! I drove an 80 mile round trip the other day as a test voyage.

A few words of advice. ..

Don't forget to check the DOT codes on all tyres (even new) there should be the word DOT, then a code of several numbers/letters, then a 3 or 4 digit code in a box.

The code is in the format of week/year (WWYY or WWY), and is usually only on one side of the tyre.

The 3 digit codes are pre 2000, so legally should no longer be on the road.

So if the code reads 2307, that is the 23rd week of 2007.

Tyres can legally be sold as new when upto 3 years 'old' as long as they have not been fitted previously!

We do NOT keep tyre stock for this very reason, and always insist that the tyres our wholesaler supply us with are under 1 year old!

You should change your tyres once they are 5 years old - by the DOT code - NOT by the date they were fitted.

Always buy 6 or 8ply tyres, NOT 4ply, even though for a caravan that is as light as yours - 8ply have side walls that are twice as strong as 4ply, and take a lot more weight, which means you can run at a lower PSI (much safer IMHO).

If a tyre says 155/80R13, they are 4ply. If they say 155R13C, they are 8 ply - the '/80' is irrelevant for caravans.

8ply tyres will take a much higher PSI than 4ply (65PSI as opposed to 40-something!).

Hope this helps

I went out to look at the information on the tyre walls, and have come to the conclusion that I need new ones. ..the previous owner has fitted car tyres

155/80 78S . ...... :( the load index code is stating a max of 425 kilos per tyre = total of 950 which is lower than my MTPLM of 996 kilos.

EEEK !! I drove an 80 mile round trip the other day as a test voyage.

Erm. .. 425x2 is 850Kg!!! Much lower than 996Kg!!! :unsure:

Dont forget the Spare if you have one . Same old story of using car tyres on a caravan and not got a clue about load indexs . :rolleyes:

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have my new tyres on. :) . 8 ply with a max load of 600kg each.

they have a max pressure of 65 psi so if i am doing my sums correctly . ...

996 X 65 = 53. 95 so basically 54 psi ?

Tyres can legally be sold as new when up to 3 years 'old' as long as they have not been fitted previously!

You should change your tyres once they are 5 years old - by the DOT code - NOT by the date they were fitted.

So, on that basis, a 3 year old "new" tyre could be fitted giving only two years use! :huh:

I bought four new tyres on 7th September and they are dated coded 3611 and they were made in Germany!. Can't get fresher than that! ;)

So, on that basis, a 3 year old "new" tyre could be fitted giving only two years use! :huh:

Spot-on!! That's why we don't keep stock - we order everything fresh from the wholesaler!

• 9 years later...

Thanks Kevin but note you are replying to a 9 year old thread. 

But the info may well help someone in the future. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion