Going For The First Trip

harvomark

Download a check list from one of the club sites. Unless already booked, don't go too far.

Relax and don't blame the missuse and kids if things don't quite go to plan. ..and ENJOY

We had our first trip a couple of weeks ago and as the above post says,try not to go too far and take your time.

Took us a while to set things up so I have done three laminated lists for hitching up,checks prior to departure,and setting up as I found I was meeting myself coming back.

I know these are available from elsewhere but these suit my needs.

If you want a copy of them you are welcome,if you PM me I will send you one of each if you enclose your e-mail address. .

Of course you can adapt them to your own requirements as you see fit but it will give you something to work from.

They are in . odt ( Open Office ) format but if you want them in Word just let me know and i will convert them for you.

Ian

I've been towing a trailer tent for the last 8 years, had practice towing, reversing the caravan etc it's actually when i get on site, getting all the bits and bobs working, do you do things in an order? The awning is there an art to fitting these things?

I've been towing a trailer tent for the last 8 years, had practice towing, reversing the caravan etc it's actually when i get on site, getting all the bits and bobs working, do you do things in an order? The awning is there an art to fitting these things?

As far as the awning is concerned,mark what all the poles are for with a marker pen whilst at home.

Laminate the instruction sheet.

It's much easier then.

Ian

Pack the beer first,and don't leave your electric hookup lead behind as we did on our first trip !!

Also make sure it's cold. .. So don't forget to run the fridge on 12v. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

On or first time out we arrived at the site, levelled, steadies down, gas on, ehu connected, aquaroll filled and transferred to onboard tank, toilet cassette charged etc. etc. .Checked the caravan club guides to be sure all was ok. Cooked dinner and ate with a celebratory bottle of wine. When it came to washing up we had no water. Surely flushing loo twice, washing hands twice and peeling spuds would not use 20 litres of water? Were we going to have to fill the water tank twice a day? A quick check revealed that the system drain taps were still open!

I am 4 trips into my life as a caravaner, it does get easier and the trips do get more relaxing. ........ Those initial trip snare all about finding grove and getting routine for arrival and departure. As pointed out earlier you really can't blame the wife and kids for everything "will" cause you stress. ..........our 4th trip was argument and stress free and was one of the best family weekends we have ever had.

If you have and use an Akko wheel lock make sure it is lined and fitted before proceeding with the rest of set up. If you don't be sure it won't fit. If you ain't got one. Pat on the back for getting first bit right. Otherwise slowly carefully is cheaper and faster

If you have and use an Akko wheel lock make sure it is lined and fitted before proceeding with the rest of set up. If you don't be sure it won't fit. If you ain't got one. Pat on the back for getting first bit right. Otherwise slowly carefully is cheaper and faster

I did that on my first trip out van all set up then realized i hadn't put lock on so legs had to come back up etc

Don't go too far on first trip - in fact our first trip of every season is fairly local

When hitching up just take your time and double check everything.

Same goes when on site - every now and then just take a moment to gather your thoughts.

If you can, have a practice run with awning before the trip and mark / colour code the poles. It will make the job a lot easier next time.

Never be afraid to ask site wardens / fellow 'vanners for help and advice - that's how we all learn.

Most of all - ENJOY!!

Phil

We're also just two months and four trips into life as caravanists (blogging about it at http://www. shirker. co. uk) and still learning. Went local first but then ventured further afield. By trip 4 we had the 'van set up an ready to go in 30 minutes from arriving, including the awning, which we were suitably chuffed with). We keep forgetting things but nothing too crucial yet.

If you can, have a practice run with awning before the trip and mark / colour code the poles. It will make the job a lot easier next time.

I find a quick method of marking poles is with different colour electrical tapes wrapped round a couple of times near the joint of the tubes . Using the same colour on both sides of the joint but different colours for different joints is a quick and easily way and highly visable .

Dave

I got my next door neighbour ( seasoned vanner) to go through the van with me when I first got it, It took us 3 hours from A frame to back lights, But first local trip to a CL We were set up in 20 mins, The next trip was then in a field and had a coffee in my hand in 15. Just take your time and keep an eye on your loading. and have fun,

Thanks for the reply's but may be at a disadvantage as the kids & missus want to help, at least i can then blame them :D after reading the topics on the site and the check lists Ian kindly emailed me i'm really looking forward to it, can't take any longer than putting up the trailer tent with extensions etc.

Thanks.

you say your wife and kids want to help? that's great! use each ones strengths. young kids love to explore yes? get them to locate water tap,showers, toilet desposal point, then when you have the legs down they can show you where the water is and help fill the aquaroll,

Back from the first trip, enjoyed it, lovely site in Welshpool, everything worked except the flush on the toilet (Now sorted thanks to this site) put up awning, can't beleive how easy it is, so much better than a trailer tent. looking forward to my weeks holiday in cornwall. Towing wasn't a problem even down the country lanes and only took two attempts at reversing on the tight pitch (with audiance) :rolleyes: overall nice weekend.

Archived