What Do I Need 4 Sat Tv?

GT60

Hi we go to Scotland all the time and some places we cant not get freeveiw (digital tv) due to the area so we have thought of getting a sat Kit so we can watch freeveiw tv (Not sky or free sat etc)

What do we need to acheive this and can anyone recommend something?

Thanks

Edited by GT60

Hi. You can ONLY get freeview through your aerial, the alternative is freesat and a normal sky dish. If you are nowhere near a mast, then it has to be sat. That is unless you want to do it through your computer. :(

http://www. maplin. co. uk/camping-and-caravanning-satellite-suitcase-system-217921

Out of stock and overpriced at £99 but this is available at other outlets/places. I paid £50 for mine (Maplins) 2009

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

As Lefthand Down pointed out a tad over priced. Got mine about 6 weeks ago from Aldi £49. 99, not sure if they are still be available but worth a phone call.

As above, only paid sixty quid for ours at Maplins about four, maybe five years ago, i even use it in the house when Freeview plays up.

Costs, how much do want to pay? couple of quid or a couple of hundred, free standing, automatic and mounted on the roof, list is endless, depends on the depth of ya wallet.

Bit of a black art setting up at first, but dead easy when you eventually master it.

Do it at home first, as it spoils it for some who love to see us struggle and provide them with free entertainment when you are on a site, "you know who you are".

So the above about Maplin and Aldi sats is all i need or do i need the freesat or sky thing also?

Thank you

Ps seen the sat in Aldi but thought i better ask if i need anything else first>?

If all i need is the Aldi sat do i just plug it in to the tv and then i have a picture?

Edited by GT60

You get a dish which you set up pointing at Astra 28.

You get a freesat box. Cable to connect and various brackets and fittings.

You connect it to your TV and turn it to AV.

Just a matter of learning how to point it in the right place after that.

It is very important to get the cable and connectors in good working order because a bad joint will mean NO Signal.

When Setting up point due EAST and gently turn towards South direction with Freeview Box turned on ant TV on AV. ASTRA 28 is first one you will find.

If you start SOUTH and turn EAST you will find the wrong satellites.

As you get used to it you will find better ways of fixing your dish. Some have poles others use tripods.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

At the risk of being a little pendantic, the required satellite is Astra 2D at 28. 2˚ East of South.

Don’t be misled, that is where Astra 2 is parked over the equator. For the necessary co-ordinates for your location and "Idiots Guide" for aiming the dish, see this attachment.-

Vin Blanc

Aiming a mobile Dish. doc

This might be useful http://www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk/ It is very comprehensive and taught me all I know about the subject. I have never failed to get a signal yet and that includes France and Spain although Spain is limited due to where we are and the size of the dish.

Hope this helps and good luck pointing the dish. Remember to move it very slowly.

Roger

At the risk of being a little pendantic, the required satellite is Astra 2D at 28. 2˚ East of South.

Vin Blanc

You are exactly right but if you turn from south direction you trip over two or more other satellites on way round to 28. 2.

http://www. aldi. co. uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys2_20473. htm

May still be available but do make sure it operates on 12 volt.

http://www. aldi. co. u. ..buys2_20473. htm

May still be available but do make sure it operates on 12 volt.

So if i bought this i would not need anything else apart from the TV?

Why 12 Volts? i am always on hook up

sorry to be a bit slow on this

Edited by GT60

Most are 12 volt and I use mine from the battery. The TV is 12 volt as well.

If you are on EHU then no problem.

The kit is all you need.

The only problem some have is attaching the dish to a post/stake/pole attached to the van. If you check the TV forum this post is in you will get info on how others have dealt with this.

And the TV TIMES? Has your TV got a scart lead connection?

Edited by Lefthand Down

You are exactly right but if you turn from south direction you trip over two or more other satellites on way round to 28. 2.

You also are exactly right however, you have fallen into the same trap (your not alone) of assuming that the dish should be aimed at 28. 2˚ E of S.

(Reading your post again, I suspect that you already know this and that it's only the way your post is worded that has lead me to that assumption).

Only if you were in Eindhoven in the Netherlands would you aim the dish at 28. 2˚ E of S.

If you read the attachment you will see that I have advised working from East towards South and that the Azimuth angle depends entirely on one’s geographical location.

See www. dishpointer. com

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

If it's the camping sat in a case it works off either 12v or mains both connectors are supplied

Remember to get good connections in the plugs and sockets.

At first it is worth putting the cable from the LNB direct to the Sat Box (through the window). That way you can confirm it works.

Adding additional plugs and sockets will add to the chances of a bad connection.