Tail Light Fixings Missing - Any Ideas

Tom85

Hi

My 1998 Swift Challenger needed a new rear tail light cluster, so I purchased a new genuine Brittax lamp, went about fitting it, and found there were no fixings in the rear panel for the screws to screw into! At present they are held in with a bit of duck tape rolled on itself to be double sided, obviously not a permanent solution!

Does anybody know what fixings I need to purchase?

Many thanks in advance!

Tom

Hi Tom, I presume that you were not able to get a genuine Swift replacement or otherwise the fitting would be a reversal of the removal. If you cannot use the holes in the Britax, may I suggest Sikaflex or a good quality Sanitary grade silicone sealant available in white/ cream. Otherwise a bit more info and perhaps we can help. Peter :)

Hi Tom,

Had the same problem with my Abbey, I scratched my head and came up with HOLLOW WALL ANCHORS. You can buy from a good caravan shop,B&Q, or Screwfix. It makes a better job than

what SWIFTS can come up with.

Dave

THey had a type of clip which I know as an R clip. However, it appears my dad made that name up, as nobody else knows what I mean!

Looking at the clip from the side it looks like a capital R, with a hole through the centre. On the rear hole there are two flanges which grip the thread on either self tapping screws or machine screws.

These are the ones, although yuo might need a different size.

Looking around, I think they are called "Spire" clips.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Car-Body-fixings-x-8-No8-U-clip-No-8-self-tapper-/390345211543?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae2633e97

Many thanks!

The Brittax cluster is the correct one for the van, somebody had changed it for an incorrect item so they weren't a matching pair.

The holes are all in the correct place, but there is no fixing in the grp rear panel, just a hole.

I had a thought - I bought a dog guard for my old Citroen Picasso, you had to drill holes in the trim and insert a rubber fixing that had a thread in the end, when tightened it acted a bit like a rivet.

I will do some googling and see if I can find the things for sale anywhere. It will mean changing from the self tapper to a machine screw of course.

Does anybody know what these fixings might be called?

THey had a type of clip which I know as an R clip. However, it appears my dad made that name up, as nobody else knows what I mean!

Looking at the clip from the side it looks like a capital R, with a hole through the centre. On the rear hole there are two flanges which grip the thread on either self tapping screws or machine screws.

Thats interesting, thanks. Googling R-clip isn't helpful unfortunately, as r-clips are widely used for retaining pins etc.

Would the clip to which you refer fit though the circa 10mm hole in the panel and hold in place? I suspect the original fixings are rattling around in the panel somewhere, and theres no way to get into it!

I think these are the things! I'll have to measure the hole to be sure, and buy some correct size machine screws!

I'll give it a go and report back.

Are the holes in the back panel about 10mm diameter?

and the screws about 50mm long and M4 thread (i think) ?

If so they are the same as mine, when you take out the screws

the rubber cavity fixing falls down inside the back panel and is lost forever.

Go to your Swift dealer for them and steady yourself, I think I paid £1. 98 each. :angry:

Try Googling "fixing and fastenings" not had a chance to check myself but when I wanted an unusual fixing I found it there. Regards Peter :)

Would the clip to which you refer fit though the circa 10mm hole in the panel and hold in place? I suspect the original fixings are rattling around in the panel somewhere, and theres no way to get into it!

The ones on my Swift ( albeit, somewhat older than yours) clipped over the lip, rather than through the holes.

Just seen your link. ..they might do it also.

The ones on my Swift ( albeit, somewhat older than yours) clipped over the lip, rather than through the holes.

Just seen your link. ..they might do it also.

I think I know the ones you mean.

I'll give the "rubber nuts" a go I think, found some bumpf on the web that says they offer a waterproof seal when fully tightened, so thats a big plus.

I would use this .

johson_091045.jpg

It is sprung, and so the wings fold down, then spring back up once they are behind the surface you wish to fix to.

or these are good but probably a bit "Heavy duty".

Hollow-Wall-Anchor-KS-HA007-.jpg

These are the ones, although yuo might need a different size.

Looking around, I think they are called "Spire" clips.

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item5ae2633e97

The look just like part of the fastning system that holds the underbody tray on to my Rover. The other part doesn't have a screwthread as such but they do twist in till they lock.

Bigneil I think the heavy duty ones in your photos are the ones I would go for. If you have to take the fitting off again for any reason, at least they would be captive. Seemples :D

Hi !

Just ask your Dealer. The fixings you require are readily available from all good accessory shops.

They aren`t very expensive and easy to use as long as you put them into the hole from the outside. I have to admit that the first time I used them I tried to put them in from the inside of the cavity, which looked to me like the correct way,but dropped two down into the cavity and they were lost forever !

Bob

The rubber 4 mm nut go in from the outside but do not push on the screw as you tighten it or the rubber nut will pop through the hole and disappear into the bodywork .

Dave

This has reminded me that I need to sort out my light fixings! I'm not so clever at repairs, so I am grateful for all the info.

Archived