Lnb Change

Halohodge

How easy is it too change a standard LNB two one with Easy Find indicator incorporated.

Also are high definition dishes more difficult to set up as I have real problems aligning it up, it a 80 cm dish.

Dont think you can just swap the lnb. I think the set top box has some trickery in it to make easy find work, so you need and easy find box and dish.

I use a standard sky dish that they install on houses and generally have no problems setting up.

Edited by SamP

There is no such thing as a "high definition" dish. Some dishes are better than others depending on make and cost.

Signal quality depends mainly on Receiver and LNB. Generally, the bigger the dish, the better it will perform as you travel further south.

In most of the UK (including Worcestershire), a 40cm (wide) dish with a basic LNB will be adequate for all the Freesat (or Sky) channels assuming of course that you are aiming it at the Astra 2 D satellite at 28. 2˚ East of south (for Freesat & Sky).

Once you start venturing as far south as the Pyrenees you will need something approaching an 80cm dish and preferably a better quality LNB (with lower noise figure).

To set it up, check out my "Idiots guide" (no disrespect intended) on the following attachment.

Aiming a mobile Dish. doc

We have a 64cm Triax dish with an Inverto Ultra Twin LNB off eBay which will push the signal strength and quality bars nearly to the end of the scale on my Sky HD box in most places in the UK we have visited.

Connected up between the Sky box and TV with an HDMI lead gives us perfect HD viewing while we are away. :)

Edited by Griff

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Once you start venturing as far south as the Pyrenees you will need something approaching an 80cm dish and preferably a better quality LNB (with lower noise figure).

There is little difference in commercially available LNBs as most quoted performance figures are for advertising purposes.

An extra 2 cm on dish diameter will out perform the difference between the best and worst LNBs as it's all down to dish size rather LNB and receiver sensitivity.

Edit:

Sky LNBs are probably the worst of the lot being built to a price for a fixed reception area with known parameters.

Edited by beejay

Beejay is absolutely right. If you travel outside the UK (or to northern Scotland or Ireland) go for the largest dish you can conveniently pack but bear in mind that, as dish diameter increases, the "focal angle" decreases, so alignment becomes more critical. LNB "noise figure" is largely meaningless, since it is measured under ideal conditions in a laboratory at a single spot frequency. Pure marketing hype. See explanation here: http://sam-radford. me. uk/lnbs. htm

Go for a standard 40mm neck LNB on a dish with that type of fitting (i. e. not Sky).

Here's the little-known "trade secret": a long 40mm neck allows for focal adjustment. Most LNBs have a short neck, requiring you to file away the clamp in order to optimise the focal position!

If you travel a significant distance East/West, you will have to adjust the LNB "skew" (rotational position). However, the focal point, once set, will never change, so you can add packing pieces or mark it to keep it the same.

You'll find more information on all of this in the Technical Section of my web site: http://www. satcure. co. uk/tech/

Edited by SatCure