I Phone App For Leveling

Andy Sl

Has anybody used the iphone app level my caravan? according to the instructions all you do is place your iphone on the van floor and it gives voice commands until the van is level not much use if you cant get a signal

Has anybody used the iphone app level my caravan? according to the instructions all you do is place your iphone on the van floor and it gives voice commands until the van is level not much use if you cant get a signal

I doubt you'll need a signal to use this app, the iPhone can run the app without worrying about phone reception. Some applications require a connection to the internet to work correctly but I'd be surprised if this is one of them.

I saw a van that was up at the front end. It was a new caravaner.

He was just about to fit his awning so I suggested he check it for level first.

I have leveled it with my iPhone he said.

I lent him my Spirit Level. He wound the front down 3 inches.

Can these things be calibrated?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

i have a bubble app on my android again you need to calibrate with something that is known level and checked with a calibrated normal spirit level.

At work I fit temperary gantry hoists for the disabled (amongst other items) with a bubble leveling tool to make sure the legs are aligned properly. I have one of these in the van as they work just as well on the floor.

Edited by sgthakeswell

Hi Sam.

You do not need to keep it calibrated - it is only done once when it is initially set. As others have posted, no signal is required to be received for the ap. to work, as it is operated by the internal gravity sensor that switches the display screen from 'portrait' to 'landscape' when the phone is rotated.

regards,

David

Adding some new sockets etc in the new van tonight and when I removed a draw I found a very nice aluminium spirit level which the previous owner must have lost down the back of the draw - think I'll be sticking with this!

I tried a few apps on my android phone and the wifes iphone. I felt out with them as I didn't think they were sensitive enough even though some could be adjusted for that.

I have reverted to a minature spirit level which we keep handy in the knife & fork drawer.

Edited by Alansl

I use an iPhone App called (surprise, surprise) SpiritLevel

It has adjustable sensitivity, it can be calibrated with a known flat surface and measures to 0. 1 degree.

The free version is only single axis, so it requires turning 90 degrees once the side tilt has been sorted out.

I think it's fine.

Regards,

Steve

I use an iPhone spirit level app a lot for both my trailer and the 'van. Only checked the calibration once when first downloaded it and never had to do it again, and as said above, it doesn't need a signal - it's handy as I always have my phone on me but not often a spirit level.

Pounds an pounds for a gizmo to run an app.

What's wrong with a £2. 50 two way spirit level stuck to the front window sill?

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

I've said it before and I'll say it again - is it so crucial that the van is exactly level? I step away a few paces and use my eye. The van always ends up pretty level, water runs away, we don't fall out of bed, the wine in my glass is level - what more does anyone need?

(I do use a spirit level for DIY of course!)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - is it so crucial that the van is exactly level? I step away a few paces and use my eye. The van always ends up pretty level, water runs away, we don't fall out of bed, the wine in my glass is level - what more does anyone need?

(I do use a spirit level for DIY of course!)

Not everyone has calibrated eyeballs.

Looking at some of the caravans on sites, not many can use a spirit level either :D

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Its vital to us it is perfectly level; don't want doors deciding to swing the way they want, draws should open and close as the designer intended and water drain away cleanly.

Dont like bodged jobs of any sort full stop so leveling is no different, why not get it right when its so easy?.

Use a Stabilo short level; on van vertical side for cross axle and on awning skirt rail for forward and aft. Use Smart phone as telephone and WiFi hotspot.

Pounds an pounds for a gizmo to run an app.

What's wrong with a £2. 50 two way spirit level stuck to the front window sill?

Same here and easy to see, set mine up there with a sliver of plastic underneath to calibrate it as the window sill is not level :o

I've said it before and I'll say it again - is it so crucial that the van is exactly level?

We have a Bailey Unicorn, complete with "stylish" bathroom sink, and the answer is "yes", otherwise the sink doesn't fully drain.

FWIW I use a cheap two-dimensional level, but have the free iPhone level app (which I had forgotten about, and so haven't used, although I don't see why it should present any difficulties).

Same here and easy to see, set mine up there with a sliver of plastic underneath to calibrate it as the window sill is not level :o

I used three pea sized balls of blue tack, one under each corner.

Level the van with a builders level, then press the two way level onto the blue tack until it gave the same reading. Make sure that you do it while standing next to the jockey wheel or the angle will give an incorrect reading.

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I wrote this app for the iPhone called 'Level my Caravan'.

You don't need a signal to use it but it is best to calibrate it the first time you use it.

The main benefit using this app is that it will give you voice commands to wind up or down your jockey wheel until your caravan is level.

This means that you can place the iPhone on the floor of the caravan (leave a window open so you can hear it).

Paul.

Hi,

I wrote this app for the iPhone called 'Level my Caravan'.

You don't need a signal to use it but it is best to calibrate it the first time you use it.

The main benefit using this app is that it will give you voice commands to wind up or down your jockey wheel until your caravan is level.

This means that you can place the iPhone on the floor of the caravan (leave a window open so you can hear it).

Paul.

Are you going to post a link to share it with us?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.