Truman Ultrastore

Mellykay

I have just bought a Sterling Eccles opal 2004. Can anyone tell me if I can run the ultrastore water heater on electric instead of gas? Not sure what model ultrastore is in the van.

Your Truma ultrastore should have an 850 watt element which draws just under 4 amps current so is fine for UK sites. We never used gas to operate ours as it is a waste of money when you are paying for your pitch electricity. You can use gas and electricity together if you wish when you arrive on site to quickly heat up the water but I have never found it necessary. As with all electrical appliances remember the total current you are using if you also have your sspace heater on at 2 kilowatts and then the electric kettle etc etc as most sites have a max 16 amp connection. The water heater is something easy to turn off for a few minutes while you boil a kettle if you are worried. Don't forget to empty the ultrastore before leaving site.

Thanks Chrisy, sorry to be so thick, how do I change from using the gas to the electric as the thermostat dial only shows a O and the flame signal. In the cupboard on the electric panel I do have the water heater switch .

Edited by Mellykay

Mellykay

Before you use the Ultrastore on either gas or electric make sure it is full of water otherwise it could overheat and trip. Connect water to system, switch pump on and open hot water taps until water flows through each of them.

If using electric to heat the water just switch on the water heater switch and it should glow red. It has no temperature control and can be left on to look after itself

If you want to use gas then it is very important to make sure that you remove the cover from the external flue on the side of the caravan before you try to light the gas. Then move the gas control switch on the thermostat to the flame symbol. A little green light should appear in the thermostat to show it is working. You will hear the heater clicking to fire up at this time. If it fails to light on the gas it will normally show a little red light instead of green. Switch it off and wait for a while before trying again. Sometimes it will not light because of lack of gas and will take a few attempts. Always worth drawing gas through the system before trying to start the heater on gas.

No problem in using gas and electric together as Chrisy has said. Hope this helps

Frank

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi Mellykay

you should find the electric switch in the wardrobe amongst the main fuses etc. it should be marked "water" . also one marked "heater" for the fire is there

good luck!

Davidl

Thank you all for your helpful replies. Switching off the gas now so hope the electric system works.

Ok, turned gas off. Water heater switch on in wardrobe but 4hrs later only have cold water? Any idea why?

Mellykay

Is it working OK on gas? Is the electric heater switch illuminated?

Frank

Yes Frank works ok on gas and heater light illuminated!

Check heater fuse? Just because the light is on it does not mean the element is receiving power.

Check also for a RED reset button on the side of the heater. Maybe behind a sliding panel? :blink:

Se this post as well. http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/topic/54569-truma-water-heater/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by Lefthand Down

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow when I work out which fuse it might be on the panel.

If it's an Ultrastore, usually the fuse is in the same facia as the switch. Very rarely goes - usually if it doesn't work it's the element!

Freely available from all good caravanning stores (including our own), but unfortunately not cheap (Is anything Truma?)!

Don't forget to empty the ultrastore before leaving site.

Never done this, why do you think it necessary, other than to save weight?

All sorted, electric working fine. Thanks for your help everyone.

All sorted, electric working fine. Thanks for your help everyone.

What was the problem and the solution please?