Advice On A First Ever Caravan Max 1050 Micro

robbo7720

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase my first caravan the camping thing with a tent is now starting to get me down :( in the rain every year along with how long it takes to get organised to pitch. I'm hoping the caravan is a hitch up on go.

advice would be warmly appreciated . 5/6 birth if i was being picky well she is being picky a bathroom where the shower does not share with the wc still don't understand that ( think these caravans were invented by blokes we stand up you girls will get wet after someone has been in the shower. :)

also the shower how is that operated by a electric pump is the water flow slow?. I have a million and one questions so please bare with me.

I'm planing on vias plage next year southern France is this advisable for a first outing for a experienced driver but inexperienced at towing.

What to expect when towing a caravan i'm expecting it to be just the same as driving my car foot to the floor and go . Does snaking happen much and if so what do you do at this point.

There will be more questions but for now that will do . :)

Many thanks

David

You have not mentioned what car you plan to use and this will define to a great extent what you can tow. Diesel tugs are usually better than petrol as they have higher torque at lower revs, but that does not mean to say a petrol car will not do the job very well. However, petrol tuigs will use more fuel when towing. Once you have an idea of the weight of van you feel you can safely tow then you can look at what is available in that range. If it is a normal meiddle of the road length and weight then there will be compromises in every layout. Some have large washrroms at the expense of living area, others have small washrrooms with bigger lounges and beds etc. Look at as many as you can.

Some showers have excellent flow rates with water others are poor, often due to apoorly installed system rather than design faults. Separate washrooms are good but do ensure you can shut the door and pick up the soap, it has been known for some larger members of the public to get stuck. However far more important is to try the beds. If they are to be put up each night make sure you are shown how it is done and do lie on them. There is nothing worse than not getting a good night's sleep. If it is a fixed bed, check the width, some are not doubles as claimed, unless you are midgets.

I do admit that when i bought my 1st caravan in the mid 70's we did 1 night at a local site and then headed off to Holland and Germany. Quite a learning experience so going abroad as a newbie is possible, but if you have never driven on the right before, do take your time and do not panic. Possibly a more sensible approach would be to stay in the UK for the 1st year and then go for it.

Most modern vans do not snake unless loaded very badly, they also usually have towhitch stabilisers so you need a towball that will accept that. Watch the speed limits even if others are flying past you,. There are idiot caravanners as well as car drivers.

Just take your time and do not jump into buying a van that you are not fully happy with. Do not believe everyhting the salesman tells you and make sure you get a warranty that is worth the paper it is written on.

Good luck

I am a new caravaner too, welcome to the club. I towed my van on an 80 mile round trip as a test run, and found it to be rather scary at first, there is quite a lot to think/worry about at first. and unless you have a large heavy towing vehicle with bags of horsepower then you are going to notice a significant difference in your acceleration and breaking.

My van is 750 kilo with a max laden weight of 960 kilos (a smallish 4 berth) and my tug is a 6 seater turbo diesel car (105 BHP) and discovered that more horse power would have been nice. as 5th gear was only possible on the flat or downhill and uphill was down to 4th. and I could feel the van wobbling and bumping which made me a little nervous at first.

You have not mentioned what car you plan to use and this will define to a great extent what you can tow. Diesel tugs are usually better than petrol as they have higher torque at lower revs, but that does not mean to say a petrol car will not do the job very well. However, petrol tuigs will use more fuel when towing. Once you have an idea of the weight of van you feel you can safely tow then you can look at what is available in that range. If it is a normal meiddle of the road length and weight then there will be compromises in every layout. Some have large washrroms at the expense of living area, others have small washrrooms with bigger lounges and beds etc. Look at as many as you can.

Some showers have excellent flow rates with water others are poor, often due to apoorly installed system rather than design faults. Separate washrooms are good but do ensure you can shut the door and pick up the soap, it has been known for some larger members of the public to get stuck. However far more important is to try the beds. If they are to be put up each night make sure you are shown how it is done and do lie on them. There is nothing worse than not getting a good night's sleep. If it is a fixed bed, check the width, some are not doubles as claimed, unless you are midgets.

I do admit that when i bought my 1st caravan in the mid 70's we did 1 night at a local site and then headed off to Holland and Germany. Quite a learning experience so going abroad as a newbie is possible, but if you have never driven on the right before, do take your time and do not panic. Possibly a more sensible approach would be to stay in the UK for the 1st year and then go for it.

Most modern vans do not snake unless loaded very badly, they also usually have towhitch stabilisers so you need a towball that will accept that. Watch the speed limits even if others are flying past you,. There are idiot caravanners as well as car drivers.

Just take your time and do not jump into buying a van that you are not fully happy with. Do not believe everyhting the salesman tells you and make sure you get a warranty that is worth the paper it is written on.

Good luck

car is a picasso

Try this towing calculator link. just tell it, make and model of car, then make and model of van (or if not listed you can enter it's weight manually), then it will work out weather you can tow your intended van, and what the predicted performance is likely to be.

http://www. towcar. info/index. php

Picasso is 1375 kilo which restricts your maximum safe van towing weight to 1186 kilos when fully laden . ... you didn't say what engine you have .

Try this towing calculator link. just tell it, make and model of car, then make and model of van (or if not listed you can enter it's weight manually), then it will work out weather you can tow your intended van, and what the predicted performance is likely to be.

Picasso is 1375 kilo which restricts your maximum safe van towing weight to 1186 kilos when fully laden . ... you didn't say what engine you have .

As above but engine size/model detail will affect the actual tow car details regarding kerb weight.

2. 0 hdi diesel

Another towcar/van matching site is:

http://www. whattowcar. com/

However, it is intended for the Dutch market so check that your car is correct. Also use it as a guide only.

A 2 litre diesel will have good power and torque for towing but you need to check the kerbweight of your model. Also check the manufacturer's maximum towing wieght which is listed in your car handbook. Some cars have reduced towing wieghts. All the main caravan Organisations recommend a trailer weight not exceeding 85% of the kerbweight of the towcar, but this is not a legal requirement. You can go up to 100% of the kerbweight. It is recommended because the lighter the trailer compared to towcar, usually the better stability. Of course loading the van can make a bid difference, especially if it is badly done. Note also the weigth of trailer you look at is the MTPLM, or the total weight when loaded. There are a number of vans around 1200 kg total weight which would be suitable although you may be pushed to find one with a separate shower. In that size they tend to be combination units. You may also want to have a look at EU models as they often give more space for alighter weight, provided you are happy with the usual lack of an oven.

You also do not state which Picasso model you have. A quick check suggests it is a C4 model which has a kerbweight of 1600 kg or more giving you more scope in model choice.

Archived