Sign in to follow this  
redmoor

Gas Question...

We use our caravan all year round - we had several feet of snow however last Christmas and couldnt get out of the drive let alone away anywhere. We use blue gas - we have used this during the winter without problems, but with the dire predictions of another winter like the last one, should we move over to red gas - if so, can you just use red gas all year round?

Thanks in advance.

Short answer - yes. Propane can be used all year round (if you look at houses which aren't on mains gas, they use propane in either the tall cylinders or bulk tanks). You'll need to change the pigtails leading to your regulator if it's a bulkhead mounted one, as the fittings are different between propane and butane

I have once, many years ago, had the situation where I had to cuddle a blue butane bottle inside my coat for 5 mins or so to get it to gas. This was a bottle on the A-frame and not in a locker but it was only a sharp night time frost in late and sunny cloudless October. I use propane all year round these days.

Butane (in the Blue cylinder) stops boiling at about +2 degrees, so low temperatures will stop the flow of gas.

Propane (in the Red cylinders) continues to boil down to -48 degrees so will supply gas in cold weather.

It is probably easier just to use one gas,Propane, if you use the van throughout the year.

Edited by Brecon

I think you will find that most 'vanners use propane, that was one of the reasons for standardizing on 30 mbar. Use it all year round, it's cleaner if just veeeery slightly more expensive. Regards Peter :)

I think you will find that most 'vanners use propane, that was one of the reasons for standardizing on 30 mbar. Use it all year round, it's cleaner if just veeeery slightly more expensive. Regards Peter :)

Incorrect.

Stand alone propane regulators work at 37 mbar. Butane is 28 mbar. The standardisation at 30mbar is so that either can be used NOT because most caravanners use Propane !

I too use Propane all year round !

Edited by Shirl250

Hi i used the Butane last year on a trip to Blackpool, and woke up feeling very cold no Gas, Its in the front locker on my van and still wouldn't gas, so i ended up changeing to Propane. Stick with Proane you will not have any problems

How easy is it to switch?

You take your (empty) blue Butane cylinder to your Calor stockist as normal, but instead of asking for a replacement blue Butane cylinder, ask for a red Propane cylinder (or even better, a Calor Lite cylinder - same amount of gas, lighter bottle).

If you have a bulkhead mounted regulator, replace the pigtail - e. g.

http://www. leisureshopdirect. com/caravan/gas/product_28683/gaslow_propane_easy-fit_high_pressure_hose. aspx

If you have a bottle mounted regulator, replace the regulator - e. g.:

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Mbar-Propane-Calor-Regulator-Handwheel/dp/B00448EV40/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1316990474&sr=8-4

As propane bottles are screw in rather than clip on, get a regulator or hose with a handwheel (as above) to screw it in with rather than having to faff around with spanners. When you run out of gas at 1am and need to change bottles in the driving rain, having to do this with a spanner is a pain in the backside. Some say that if you have the pigtail, get a stainless steel version rather than the rubber hose.