Tow Ball On Caravan

Hopes Dad

I have just driven from Newport to Fishguard, along the M4 & have spotted loads of Caravans out & about.

As I pulled onto the motorway I thought I was seeing things when I noticed a 'van with a towball fitted to the rear. I thought i was seeing things, so I have kept an eye out & spotted another 2 with towballs.

They were neatly fitted & even painted White to blend in. I have been thinking about this all afternoon & can't think of why they would be fitted.

So curiosity aroused, any idea what they are for?

Pulling the caravan backwards onto a driveway? Probably in conjunction with a draw bar.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

seen it in france back in the 80s renault espace towing a tabbert with a little halfords erde

type trailer on the back

I would be anxious to know what it was attached to. The chassis usually is well under the back, maybe it was done for a laugh? If it was a Circus 'van then that would be a different thing. best wishes . Peter :)

You could use it for a towball mounted cycle rack?

That would be really useful! I tow at 70% or so, so could cope with a little weight at the back.

Cheers, great answers.

I did think it maybe to do with winching a caravan onto the drive, but I would have looked at a neater solution myself, so sort of ruled that out.

The bike mounted carrier would be the most logical, or as LHD said using a draw bar to pull onto a drive way.

Hopefully someone who has one maybe along to offer up an idea, other than that they maybe part of a circus, but it was strange to see 3 in probably 2 hours.

If it is used to pull a small trailer as well it would be impossible to reverse without risking serious damage.

I have a Photograph (Gallery) of a small hand winch and used it to pull my van on and off the driveway. (has a ball fitted to attach to front of van)

A simple hitch fitted instead would be fine if the van had a ball on the back. :)

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

If it is used to pull a small trailer as well it would be impossible to reverse without risking serious damage.

I have a Photograph (Gallery) of a small hand winch and used it to pull my van on and off the driveway. (has a ball fitted to attach to front of van)

A simple hitch fitted instead would be fine if the van had a ball on the back. :)

I thought the same thing, I'm nervous towing something 7mtrs long that I can see, imagine towing another trailer you can't see!

You have just given me a brilliant idea, talking of winches. I'm going to use a small pull lift I have for pulling my caravan out of the dip it sits in in storage.

It beats the polite convesations me & the wife have:- " Are you pushing dear?" " yes honey, I am. Should I try a little harder?" " oh, if you could, that would help me tremendously" " no problem, you just have to ask" :rolleyes:

http://www. caravanta. ..r-moving-a-van/

Here is my winch. B)

Maybe filling in the dip is also an option? ;)

Edited by Lefthand Down

It is of course illegal to tow two trailers in the UK except for recovery work or if you are a showman.

Here is my winch. B)

That was my thinking, the winch would have to have a hitch on it as most have a ball. I can see an advantage in being able to drag/push a van from the rear, perhaps this is how people put them nose-in on a pitch without a MM.

It is of course illegal to tow two trailers in the UK except for recovery work or if you are a showman.

Passed a very long convoy in Dorset last month on the to the Steam fair. A steam traction engine pulling a flatbed trailer which was in turn hitched to a caravan. A real showman's train. To make it even more interesting there was a portaloo cabin strapped to the flatbed trailer and a passenger sat on the loo with the door open so he could see where he was going! I would have enjoyed it much more had it not been on a narrow country lane with very few passing opportunities and a long queue behind it.

Here is my winch. B)

Thats perfect! I'm going to order up one tonight. I didn't think of fitting a ball to the hitch, more of lashing it around the hitch & another hook around something on the car! :blush:

I must have mis-read your post, it looked like you said fill the ditch in! Never!

Thanks for the advice

If you had followed them, perhaps you would have seen a new world record attempt like this:

Cheers

Lol, I'm just going to type that into the towing weight calculator. ..................... Vectra + Pageant + Challenger + Lexon +...............

These attachments can't be for winching the caravan backwards up a drive. I did that for years before we could afford a mover and our drive is 1 in 10.

Swift told me at the time that the ONLY safe way was to put two straps around the axle tube as close to the wheels as possible and join them behind the van and then to the winch cable - NEVER TO ATTACH THEM ANYWHERE ON THE CHASSIS. (We left the straps on the van permanently and wrapped them around the rear stays).

So what these folks are sticking the towballs onto can't be safe unless it goes all the way to the axle - all sounds pretty dodgy to me!!

• 6 months later...

In South Africa the 70's and 80's we saw many cars towing caravans having lightweight speed boats hooked behind them. We thought it looked fantastic, but now I shudder to think of the possible consequences, especialy considering they were legally driving 100km/h (more than 60mph) and that they sometimes overtook heavy (ok, even heavier) vehicles on long stretches. It has long since been illegal I've been told. The caravans were mostly the robust, South-African built Jurgens caravans, built from the 1950's onward.