Speeding (again)

jonbev

i know this has been covered before many times but, at least 1 site seems to be clamping down at last.

Been at west Ayton CC, scarborough for the weekend .

5mph limit to be strictly enforced, an a4 sheet given to all arrivals stating 5mph, 1st gear at all times, offenders will be asked to leave site and / or suspended from the club, loads of warning signs of 5mph 1st gear at all times .

however from what i say roughly half took not a blind bit of notice !!!

why is it because you have a private number plate, a new 4x4 or a coachman it entitles you to thrash your unit round site at 20 mph ?? yes, these were the worst offenders, counted 4 one after another leaving today that had some or all the above criteria plus countless solo cars over the weekend.

cant see how the suspension or eviction from site can be enforced however, didnt appear to be policed at all, maybe they are relying on other members "grassing"

has anyone noticed sites tightening up on this elsewhere recently ?

But, some folks dont do their cause any good, i mean who in the right mind would allow their 2 kids, below 4 years old to randomly cross the road from pitch to shower block in the dark ? dad was filling the aquaroll up totally oblivious to what the kids were doing 30 feet away :rolleyes:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We usually only visit Club site for the odd short stay but we are currenly touring Scotland and have so far stayed on 6 Club sites and without doubt there are some members that do seem to disregard the speed limit although I am not sure you can fit them into neat categories. I think its a good idea to hand out leaflets on arrival but clearly it only has a limited affect. A bit like the leaflets that are meant to be handed out to dog owners about keeping dogs on leads and not exercising them on site. Unfortunately its not a perfect world. Perhaps they should use these, placed around the site roads?

David

IMG_2130.jpg

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Personal plate, 4x4 and Coachman! We are not the ones you saw, promise! Funnily enough I think it is the campervan people who have most difficulty going slowly. It's also difficult for manual gearbox front wheel drive cars going up hill to go very slowly as they fry clutches. It's all about observation and care.

i managed to go round at or below the speed limit, fwd and towing . yes now and again it requires a brief slip of the clutch and a dab on the brakes.

its no different to crawling along in a queue of traffic on the road really.

some people on site really do just take the p*** with their speed

The most effective speed stopper is the sleeping policeman/road hump/road ramp every 100 yards and they don't cost a lot of money especially if constructed with concrete. If you want to drive your car and/or caravan at speeds in excess of 20mph over one then so be it.

Alternatively you can create a bottleneck, that is you narrow the roadway to give precedence to traffic one way and the next one gives traffic from the opposite direction precedence.

It is not rocket science to make traffic slow down,pieces of paper are ineffective it is physical measures that enforce speed limits.

Regards.

Col

. ..except that a Range Rover can go over a hump - that would destroy a normal car - at unabated speed. ..

Personal plate, 4x4 and Coachman! We are not the ones you saw, promise! Funnily enough I think it is the campervan people who have most difficulty going slowly. It's also difficult for manual gearbox front wheel drive cars going up hill to go very slowly as they fry clutches. It's all about observation and care.

Same here it was'nt me either. I. m a big advocate of the 5mph limit and i will tell any speeders myself what i think of them never mind the wardens. Its 5mph for good reasons.

peter.

I do agree that there are some campers, both MH owners and tuggers who seem to have little idea of what speed they are doing. I guess part of it is due to the fact they have just come off the motorway at 60-80 mph and feel that 20-30 mph is almost stopping. The other factor is that the CC does not allocate pitches and so new arrivals can often be seen tearing around trying to find a suitable pitch. Of course they pass the good one and charge all the way round to get back before someone else pips them to it. On leaving a number are also anxious to get home and so it is 'chocks away'.

I make no excuses for them. I have been myself 'reprimanded' on a site for going too fast. I thought I was not, but as it was down a steep hill I accept things moved a little faster than I thought with the 'shed' kicking me in the back. However, I accepted it gracefully and wish more wardens were as attentive instead of sitting in their offices peering at their computer screens.

forgot to add there are sleeping policemen on this site. slightly staggered, ie not full width of road so youd hit the right one first then the left straight after,painted yellow and black too and with a ramp warning sign adjacent. not particularly steep but enough to make you notice ( unless of course you dont care about banging your car and van about). daresay if they were too steep there would be complaints.

the wardens are doing their best and know its an issue but some members just dont care.

i think if one or two were made an example of and banned from site or suspended then more MAY take notice.

i know where i work theres a 15mph site speed limit and it is enforced and if you are caught speeding or on the phone at the wheel you are banned from driving on site for 28 days minimum.

as i said earlier, know idea how it could be enforced on a club site

. ..except that a Range Rover can go over a hump - that would destroy a normal car - at unabated speed. ..

Indeed they can. When I owned a P38 small road humps would fit inside the track of the vehicle but full width humps still caused a jolt if driven over too quickly.

It is the Warden's responsibility to ensure that the site's T & C's are adhered to and he/she/they should not hesitate to discuss instances of speeding with people who flout the rules.

The signs that flash up your speed (often seen in towns and villages) are another deterrent, it means everyone else can see whether or not your are exceeding a set speed limit. Causing :wub:

Regards.

Col

I always tow on site at 5mph. Admittedly easy as the unit moves at that speed on tickover and for most slopes adjusts itself. Solo I nearly always drive at 5mph. I say nearly because when last away for a couple of weeks I caught myself changing up to second without thinking. Within 50 feet I realised what I had done and changed down.

Some folk are ridiculous though. Many wardens I am sure are not adhering to the speed limit on caravan club sites with the tractors.

Indeed they can. When I owned a P38 small road humps would fit inside the track of the vehicle but full width humps still caused a jolt if driven over too quickly.

It is the Warden's responsibility to ensure that the site's T & C's are adhered to and he/she/they should not hesitate to discuss instances of speeding with people who flout the rules.

The signs that flash up your speed (often seen in towns and villages) are another deterrent, it means everyone else can see whether or not your are exceeding a set speed limit. Causing :wub:

Regards.

Col

yes i thought of the flashing speed signs as also, guess it all comes down to cost and suppose members wont accept pitch fee increases to cover such items. and its like the speed camera scenario, slow down when you know its gonna get you then speed up straight after

I have often gone around a site solo at 5mph with some dimwit moving side to side behind me as if looking looking to pass or else shaking there heads and gesturing for me to get a move on. I love it but it annoys me to see them accelerate if they are turning onto a different track. They can't all be stupid. These types are simply selfish B's.

The club I am with had signs made saying drive at walking pace.

It amazed me how fast the stewards had to run to catch offenders. :rolleyes:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

When we were on the C&CC site at Devizes this year the pitch we had was next to a speed hump. Now if you drove over the speed bumps at the speed limit they were fine, any faster then you would have to brake for the bump. And most of the drivers were having to brake.

Get rid of sleeping policemen. They would have to be very severe to restrict to 5mph so why not just go the enforcement route? Signs displaying the vehicle's actual speed would provide evidence for onlookers or warden.

Take the ramps at Callow Top in the Peak District for an example. About 2mm clearance for my motor movers/jockey wheel, mudflaps on car grounding heavily even solo and any slight bounce on the car's suspension smashed something less forgiving and more expensive into the tarmac. Placed at intervals up a long and extremely steep hill, they are the worst clutch burners I've ever seen. My auto box was smoking with 1700kgs.

I too have seen some poorly deigned ramps that allowed the caravan to drop off the other side with a severe jolt. I watched many vans drop off these ramps at Great Malvern CC. They were not all going fast. One guy just crawled over a particular ramp and I watched him bounce as he came off the other side (like many others). Result was two broken glasses. When I left I drove across the main grass area to avoid the two worst ramps. Ridiculous.

IMO the CC could usefully employ a guy with speed gun to travel between sites. Caught over 10mph - warning. Caught twice - off site. Publish results in club mag.

Are the speed limits to allow the 20mph child cyclists that ride

around and around (often the wrong way) to do so in greater safety

(Cynical head on today)

I too have seen some poorly deigned ramps that allowed the caravan to drop off the other side with a severe jolt. I watched many vans drop off these ramps at Great Malvern CC. They were not all going fast. One guy just crawled over a particular ramp and I watched him bounce as he came off the other side (like many others). Result was two broken glasses. When I left I drove across the main grass area to avoid the two worst ramps. Ridiculous.

IMO the CC could usefully employ a guy with speed gun to travel between sites. Caught over 10mph - warning. Caught twice - off site. Publish results in club mag.

some of the worst speed humps are those that are diagonal too the road. Saw some at blackshaw moor CC site last weekend. They cause the worst type of flexing of the caravan body as one whel is going down while the other is going up makeing the van rock violently from side too side. Not a very clever design at all by a club that is supposed too know all about caravan design.

peter.

What a good idea Easy T.

That would sort out the kids guilty of speeding on bikes at 3 or 4 times the limit and thin them out a bit, of course speed ramps were only ever put there for them to use as launch pads to see how high they can get. ....bring it on!

Oh sorry. ....were you thinking that they would be immune from such speed checks?

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Are the speed limits to allow the 20mph child cyclists that ride

around and around (often the wrong way) to do so in greater safety

(Cynical head on today)

I think it more likely you have your troll's head on.

We were at the Wharfedale CC site in Grassington a couple of weeks ago and had no sooner walked thro' the reception door when we were advised of the penalty if caught speeding above the 5 mph posted speed signs. Immediate eviction and no second chances. Whilst I applaud such measures IMHO it does raise the question as to how such action can be enforced and what the legal position would be if the "offence" was challenged. Suspension or eviction from the CC would be an option I suppose.

We were at the Wharfedale CC site in Grassington a couple of weeks ago and had no sooner walked thro' the reception door when we were advised of the penalty if caught speeding above the 5 mph posted speed signs. Immediate eviction and no second chances. Whilst I applaud such measures IMHO it does raise the question as to how such action can be enforced and what the legal position would be if the "offence" was challenged. Suspension or eviction from the CC would be an option I suppose.

The site wardens opinion is absolute. Don't even think of arguing with him.

Taking a different tack, one could argue that the 5 mph limit is too low and is a sort of parallel to those motorway signs you see that say 'accident ahead - 50 mph' when the accident is about 3 or 4 counties away. They become a useless deterrent. I reckon there are many residential areas in the country where the number of children playing easily equals those at a site but where the limit may be as high as 20 mph.

I am not advocating that we support the speedsters but 5 is VERY low and almost impossible to gauge on your speedo

Archived