Caravan Side Reflectors

JTcamer

Hello,

I left the key in my caravan door when I opened it and it has dented the side of the caravan. ...

I am going to put a reflector over the dent, I have seen a few people doing this.

The question is do side reflectors have to be amber/yellow by law of can I go for white?

Jason

I think you will find AMBER is the order of the day for side reflectors ! Just so people don't think that a 22 foot wide vehicle is in their path B)

JT, Its my guess you have a Swift caravan with the flip key. I did they same with ours, well not me but the missus did it!!!

I fitted a piece of the quidgy pads for motorcycle fuel tanks. If you use a steel edge and a new stanley blade, cutting at an angle, you get quite a professional finish. Swift now do a longer door catch to prevent the problem after many complaints.

Edited by Seaman

Amber reflector or a small vent stuck with double sided tape might be less obvious so high up .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I think you will find it depends on the hight of the reflector.

I had a small dent in my new at the time van, and i covered it up with an amber one, and like wise the other side to match, now when i took it for it's service this year, at my dealer who is an NCC aproved workshop, they informed me that the reflector should be white as it is above a certain hight, cannot remember the exact details.

But as the dent has my signiture underneath the reflector in permanant marker, removing it and putting a white one might upset my proof of "it's mine officer, see that's my signiture under that one there, and there", not only that but i will have to fork out anther couple of quid to buy the blooming things.

But as the dent has my signiture underneath the reflector in permanant marker, removing it and putting a white one might upset my proof of "it's mine officer, see that's my signiture under that one there, and there", not only that but i will have to fork out anther couple of quid to buy the blooming things.

Good tip :)

I have dented my van with the awning and are intending to stick an amber reflector over the damaged area, you now tell me that it might be at the incorrect height about 7 feet from the ground,does anybody know the rules on this.

I have dented my van with the awning and are intending to stick an amber reflector over the damaged area, you now tell me that it might be at the incorrect height about 7 feet from the ground,does anybody know the rules on this.

The only info that I have found is here and it refers to IVA testing of all trailers, The stipulated requirements for side reflectors (on p. 36 of the manual) gives the maximum permitted height of 1. 5m for reflectors "or if the shape of the bodywork makes it impossible, 2. 1m".

The side reflectors should be Amber, but the rearmost reflector may be Red if it is within 1m of the rear of the trailer. There is no mention of white reflectors being permitted, as inferred in post #6 above.

Despite all this, I very much doubt that the average Police Officer would (1) know the pertinent legislation for side reflectors, and (2) even if he did, would probably just give the offending motorist a warning - unless he was having a very bad day!

Regards,

David

If I covered all the dents in our old van, it would be a giant reflector. ... Why not try a decal or something. ... Got to be better than a bit of orange stuck 4 ft in the air. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

The question is do side reflectors have to be amber/yellow by law of can I go for white?
Reflex markers:

Amber on the sides.

Height 250mm to 900mm.

Position, at least one in the middle third of the length.

Spacing, no more than 3mtrs from either end (including drawbar).

White on the front.

Red on the rear.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Good idea putting reflectors on to hide dents, but my van would look like a dalek if I did that :lol: :lol:

Same here, my caravan's got cellulite :lol:

Compass Shadow 1988

but my van would look like a dalek if I did that
Like this Dalek motorhome?

Dalek MH.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

• 3 years later...

Amber reflector or a small vent stuck with double sided tape might be less obvious so high up .

Dave

Dave

Any ideas where I can buy 2 small fake vents to stick on my Lunar to cover 2 dents on the offside?

Edited by thensum

Reflex markers:

Amber on the sides.

Height 250mm to 900mm.

Position, at least one in the middle third of the length.

Spacing, no more than 3mtrs from either end (including drawbar).

White on the front.

Red on the rear.

Is there any difference in regulations for obligatory reflectors and regulations for additional ones?

Police and other emergency vehicles have reflective panels all over them - as can any private vehicle - only blue flashing lights are prohibited.

Is there any difference in regulations for obligatory reflectors and regulations for additional ones?

Police and other emergency vehicles have reflective panels all over them - as can any private vehicle - only blue flashing lights are prohibited.

Reflectors should be Amber or Yellow on the side White is not permitted except facing forward on the front panel. They should be no more than 3m from the front and 1m from the rear. At least one in the middle third and no more than 3m

apart. The rearmost reflector if combined with the function of the rear lights etc can be Red.

Continuous reflective tape (conspicuity markings) such as those seen on trucks are prohibited on smaller trailers.

Edited by Towtug

http://www. legislation. gov. uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/11/maden

Continuous reflective tape (conspicuity markings) such as those seen on trucks are prohibited on smaller trailers.

I wonder why that would be, as surely anything that improves visibility (using the correct colours) has to be acceptable?

I have a boat trailer, and a significant portion of the frame has an amber reflective stripe along the side, and at six metres overall length, I would have described that as a smaller trailer. Red and white reflectors are mounted fore and aft on the side mudguards, and of course there are the obligatory red triangles mounted onto the trailer lighting board.

Gordon

According to ECE R48, side reflectors must always be amber and located no more than 900mm above the ground (unless this is impossible due to the geometry of trailer, in which case 1500mm is permitted as an exception).

IMO I think the more you can be seen the better .

Why should reflectors be limited in some cases but a HGV trailer has to be marked out with yellow reflective Tape .

Front facing lights should be white but US imports usually pickups have a number of Amber lights across the cab and US trailers the same but pass IVA tests .

There seems no set levels for the Regs .

Dave