Picasso 2.0hdi Downsize Van

robbo7720

Hi,

as a follow on to my other posting about towing 1250kgs with my picasso 2. 0hdi. With your fantastic feedback i have changed my mind. thank you all for that. :)

This is the reason why i joined this site for experienced feedback.

i am now downsizing the caravan to 1045kgs unladen and i'm expecting around 112kgs with containers and personal stuff in the van which takes the laden weight to 1157kgs .

85% mark would be 1105kgs which is meaning i'm 52 kgs heavy.

This makes me to 89% . Please again as i have never had a van before please give your professional experienced opinion.

once again many thanks

ps easier option is to get a new car ( can't do both )

I think you will be O. K. with that. Just be careful not to overload with water in the onboard tanks (which some on here seem to prefer) if you have one. Also do do a proper noseweight check with the usual stick and bathroom scales. as often recommended on here. Keep it as high as you can up to the recommended limit. Happy towing. Regards Peter. :) :)

The 85% rule really is only a guide, and would refer most, if taken as a guide to those inexperienced at towing. Theoretically it is possible to tow at 100% but shouldnt ever be over, for a domestic car/caravan combo. At 89% you should be OK, if inexperienced, you would still be inexperienced at 85% so just take your time, travel slowly until you get the feel of things, and read up on the problems that can occur or the effects you can get through loading badly, this will indeed be as critical, if not moreso than the actual weight ratio. Keep your car as heavy as possible, within its limits, and pat attention to your noseweight.

Things I would suggest you read up on are:

The Bow Wave effect. Can be disconcerting to new towers but its perfectly natural.

Snaking, what it is and how to combat it.

Unsettled ride, up and down, or side to side. Learn the causes.

And don't overload the van with Hollands Pies.

At least when towing with a Picaso it is quite a tall vehicle and so it punches a decet sized hole in the air for the van to follow through, furthermore, the Picaso has a very short rear overhang and that always makes for a better and more stable tow.

As for your proposed weights. ........... spot on!

Bonne chance

Your picasso will cope with that weight without any problems and as Thingy says the 85% is only a guide line. Put more weight in the Picasso if you want that will keep it in shape, as I have said before COMMON SENSE is the most important thing, and just incase you have not worked it out the removal of the rear seats will lighten your picasso by 30kg. take your time until you have served your towing apprenticeship.

StevenJ

Hi,

as a follow on to my other posting about towing 1250kgs with my picasso 2. 0hdi. With your fantastic feedback i have changed my mind. thank you all for that. smile.png

This is the reason why i joined this site for experienced feedback.

i am now downsizing the caravan to 1045kgs unladen and i'm expecting around 112kgs with containers and personal stuff in the van which takes the laden weight to 1157kgs .

85% mark would be 1105kgs which is meaning i'm 52 kgs heavy.

This makes me to 89% . Please again as i have never had a van before please give your professional experienced opinion.

once again many thanks

ps easier option is to get a new car ( can't do both )

Hi Robbo,

From memory (I owned and towed with two Xara Pics) your figure may well be out. I towed around 1400kgs with mine and from memory the car has a kerbweight of around 1600kgs, or just less, which means that you will be well within the 85% figure,

Regards,

Ian,

(Sat in a caravan in Throckley and about to get a bus into the Toon. ...Wetherspoon's Union Rooms here I come :D ).