Christmas In Spain

We are going to Spain for the first time mid November to 18Th of February.

Could anyone recommend a nice site to spend Christmas and New Year on, or near the south coast?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Stan

What sort of site are you looking for? Quiet and peaceful or a big party? Are you staying put or touring? we travelled round the coast of Spain during December to March 2008/9. (see our blog, link below)

NB as well as Christmas and New Year, the Spanish celebrate Epiphany on 6 January, which is the day most Spanish kids get their presents. Many coastal resorts have a decorated boat arrive carrying the three kings, followed by a procession through the village/town.

What sort of site are you looking for? Quiet and peaceful or a big party? Are you staying put or touring? we travelled round the coast of Spain during December to March 2008/9. (see our blog, link below)

NB as well as Christmas and New Year, the Spanish celebrate Epiphany on 6 January, which is the day most Spanish kids get their presents. Many coastal resorts have a decorated boat arrive carrying the three kings, followed by a procession through the village/town.

Hi, thanks for your reply. We are heading straight down south from Bilbao. We are not party animals by any means, but a bit of something going on would be nice.

We were thinking of 3 weeks somewhere around Malaga and then moving on to a site for Christmas near Marbella, not that we are going to join the jet-set, but it would be nice to see how the other half live. Moving on in the New year to spend some time in Portugal, but this being the first time I'm not sure of anything. Any advice would be good. I have looked at your Blog before, you are well travelled (very envious) I will have look at it again.

Thanks John

Stan I am going to take February out and travel down to Spain, it would be good to know your intended route and possibly stay in touch during your travels, will you be writing a blog at all?

Falconer

Stan I am going to take February out and travel down to Spain, it would be good to know your intended route and possibly stay in touch during your travels, will you be writing a blog at all?

Falconer

Were of back out again January and this will be our 4th winter out there, last winter for the first time we took the ferry both ways to Spain but next year were driving down through France and taking the Ferry from Bilbao home as I actually enjoy the drive from Scotland and we never hurry only travelling 4-5 hours a day max and if we feel like staying put for more than 1 night on route we do so.

Stan if your going to Portugal I can recommend Camping Turiscampo which is 3km outside Lagos, an excellent well run site with good facilities and friendly staff . http://www. turiscampo. com

Hi Neil, had a good look at the site and we think its lovely, its now in my favourites and I think we will be giving it a go, so thank you very much for that.

Have you got any more like that up your sleeve?

Kind Regards

Stan

I think there is a new site called Camping Marjal (or very similar) opening soon, if not already.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Falconer

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I think in February we will be in Portugal as we get the ferry back home from Santander on the 18Th.

Our plan is to stay on a couple of sites in Spain and a couple in Portugal but we haven't got anything definite as yet, although I think the one that Neil & Lena recommend in Portugal is a good contender.

I am all for keeping in touch on our travels but a Blog, I wouldn't know where to start I'm afraid. I am a late starter with computers,but maybe I could find out.

Kind Regards

Stan

Hi Neil, had a good look at the site and we think its lovely, its now in my favourites and I think we will be giving it a go, so thank you very much for that.

Have you got any more like that up your sleeve?

Kind Regards

Stan

Stan if you order the ACSI camping card for 2012 you will be able to make some good savings on site fee's and Turiscampo accept the card, as for a site for Christmas your spoiled for choice as there are that many however I can recommend this one http://www. campingcalpemar. com if you can get on . its very very popular but not a huge site but with excellent facilities and also accepts ACSI

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I think in February we will be in Portugal as we get the ferry back home from Santander on the 18Th.

Our plan is to stay on a couple of sites in Spain and a couple in Portugal but we haven't got anything definite as yet, although I think the one that Neil & Lena recommend in Portugal is a good contender.

I am all for keeping in touch on our travels but a Blog, I wouldn't know where to start I'm afraid. I am a late starter with computers,but maybe I could find out.

Kind Regards

Stan

Thanks for the reply Stan and the very best of luck with your trip, we start from Calais at the begining of Feb and are hoping to get into Southern Spain in four days (three night) not sure of a route yet and dont know if its best to travel down the west or East side of France.

Let us know how you get on either via here or pm me kgypps@uwclub. net

Keith

3 days will get you as far as the French/Spanish border in comfort. If you want to go to the south coast of Spain in 4 days then you will be cream crackered by the time you get there! What's the rush? Marbella is great if you like that but there are no decent sites with spaciouse pitches. Camping Cabapino is near Marbella and it's ok as a site, but the pitches are tricky if you have a large outfit and they have a regular infestation of poisonouse catapillars in February. Camping Marbella is a bit scruffy but the pitches are (sort of) ok. We have given up with Marbella simply because of the poor sites.

Edited by Ian Hastings

I also intend to spend 120 days in Spain, Portugal this winter. hence I need some advice on gas bottles, supplies, etc.

I appreciate UK gas bottles once empty are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

So what do you long term caravanner's use in Spain for gas supplies?

I also intend to spend 120 days in Spain, Portugal this winter. hence I need some advice on gas bottles, supplies, etc.

I appreciate UK gas bottles once empty are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

i take 2 x 10 kilo BP Lite bottles which keep me going for a long time - use the electric for heating if necessary and most of the cooking (george foreman, microwave etc)

Assuming you don't get electric inclusive, pay the deposit (about 12Euro) on a Spanish gas bottle and use cheap Spanish gas (12Euro for 11Kg). Keep the bottle for future use. Use a Spanish bottle regulator (10 Euro max). We've done it for years.

We use the Spanish gas also but I think you may have a problem getting your first bottle. They seem to have tightened up the rules regarding initial supply. Once you have a bottle you won't have any problems exchanging it and the price is wonderful.

Roger

We got our first Spanish bottle from Villanova Park campsite three years ago. No problems getting it, but there was a €60 deposit on the cylinder!! On top of that, if you ever want to surrender your cylinder and get your deposit back you can only do it at the place you got it!!

That said, it was a worthwhile investment as it saves the worry of running out of gas in Spain, and Spanish gas is cheap and very easily obtainable at almost any petrol station. There are two types of cylinder/supplier, Repsol (which is ours) and Campsa. Either is as good.

We carry a full UK cylinder as well as our Spanish one. We use the Spanish one while in Spain, with the UK one as a reserve for when we run out in the middle of cooking ( does anyone run out at any other time?). Then in the UK vice versa.

The Spanish cylinders have a different attachment to Calor gas cylinders, a push on top rather than a nut and spanner. You will need a different gas pipe attachment, which can easily be bought for a few Euros at any caravan shop in Spain. We got ours from the caravan shop just down the road from Villanova Park. Provided your caravan is not too old you will have the regulator fixed in the caravan, probably above the terminal in the gas locker. Your new pipe will screw onto the gas terminal below the regulator, in place of the Calor pipe. Then when you need to change cylinders you detach the pipe from the terminal rather than from the cylinder. Sounds complicated but once you have done it it makes sense and is easy peasy.

You can do as Ivan does, and use electric as much as possible, but remember the low amperage in many Spanish campsites.

Many Spanish and other EU campsites are now charging for electricity via the meter. You may pay anything up to 0. 5 Euro per KWH in Spain and possibly more elsewhere. If this is the case, (and I am referring to winter) you need to use gas for heating and cooking. The nights are quite cold so 1 or 2 Kgs of gas per night will be consumed. You need Spanish gas. The deposit on a 12Kg Repsol bottle was only 12 Euro last winter in Oliva so the deposit clearly varies, but the gas is cheap at just over 1 Euro per Kg.

Edited by Ian Hastings

just checked with La Rosaleda site where we are going to this winter, they tell me deposit in Conil is 30€ and to exchange is 15€. lot cheaper than what i have just paid for my BP bottle!!!

Stan if you order the ACSI camping card for 2012 you will be able to make some good savings on site fee's and Turiscampo accept the card, as for a site for Christmas your spoiled for choice as there are that many however I can recommend this one http://www. campingcalpemar. com if you can get on . its very very popular but not a huge site but with excellent facilities and also accepts ACSI

I think you have got it wrong here about the ACSI card and Turiscampo, we went this year (and will be again next) but its the Camping Cheques scheme they are in. They also do very good deals for 30 nights and unlike some sites they dont require payment upfront or in cash but do give a discount if do ( pay cash)

Edited by David in Cheshire

I think you have got it wrong here about the ACSI card and Turiscampo, we went this year (and will be again next) but its the Camping Cheques scheme they are in. They also do very good deals for 30 nights and unlike some sites they dont require payment upfront or in cash but do give a discount if do ( pay cash)

They accepted the ACSI card in March 2010 as I used it for a 2 week stay , although the previous year 2009 when we attended the C&CC Rally they were not taking it .

From what you say they must dropped the ACSI card this year .

Edited by neil and lena

I think you may have a problem getting your first bottle.

As in the UK, you can often pick them up in Sunday markets.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

As in the UK, you can often pick them up in Sunday markets.

This may be your best bet. When My wife and I wanted a bottle a couple of years ago they wanted to see proof of Spanish address and bank account before they would issue bottles. It seems they are tightening up in some places.

When we drive over we take 6kg propane bottles. Anything bigger won't fit into our gas locker. Does anybody know if this size bottles are available in campsites? We have had to make do with taking a few bottles and being sparing which both uses space up for storage and means we are always worried about running out before we return.