Tom Tom - Activation Of Maps

chrisheg

Hi

We are currently touring in the South of France. After using them for several years (too mean to update!) my tom tom is now telling me I need an activation code to use my European maps. I still have access to US maps etc. . I contacted TOM TOM and they tell me that I need m product code before they can help. I can find my product code on the box my tom tom came in!!". Of course I carry this box around with me along with the box for my kettle and toaster etc (not!!) Therefore my rather expensive tom tom is a waste of money etc until I return home and can access this code or purchase new maps. . Tom-Tom customr services were a total waste of time and money in emailing and phoning. .

Grrrr!!!

Have you tried linking your TomTom to the website through a computer or laptop? I do this and the website picks up my personal product code from within the depths of the TomTom.

Updating your maps is not as expensive as you think, my Go 730 is 4 years old and I got 18 months of new European Maps ( new map every 3 months) for £39. 99 which was cheaper than buying a new device .

Anytime I have contacted TT customer services I found them pretty good and when my 730 went faulty 2 years ago they arranged a collection for repair within 2 days and it was returned to me within 9 days repaired and F. O. C

Edited by neil and lena

Hi

We are currently touring in the South of France. After using them for several years (too mean to update!) my tom tom is now telling me I need an activation code to use my European maps. I still have access to US maps etc. . I contacted TOM TOM and they tell me that I need m product code before they can help. I can find my product code on the box my tom tom came in!!". Of course I carry this box around with me along with the box for my kettle and toaster etc (not!!) Therefore my rather expensive tom tom is a waste of money etc until I return home and can access this code or purchase new maps. . Tom-Tom customr services were a total waste of time and money in emailing and phoning. .

Grrrr!!!

This is a real worry if you are saying TomTom maps that you have bought and have been using for some time, for no reason, demand a product code before you can continue using them! I assumed that once I had purchased a map it was mine to use as long as I wished!

But as "not so big john" says - link up to a computer and I'm sure your TomTom Home will pick up all the codes you require! I would be very interested to know what happens. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Unfortunately, I did not not bring the compter cable for my tom tom. This is the first time i have have actually taken a laptop with me but not the one that has my tom tom account linked,

Unfortunately, I did not not bring the compter cable for my tom tom. This is the first time i have have actually taken a laptop with me but not the one that has my tom tom account linked,

You can access Tom Tom home on any laptop just search the home page on google and sign in with your Email address and Password and a suitable USB to mini USB lead that fits your device will be available at any of the French Supermarkets at a few Euros

does the product code mean the serial number of the satnav, if so it is on the bottom of the tomtom. I work as a lorry driver going all over europe, and when i had a similar problem it was sorted on the pc through the serial number

Same with the garmin

The tom tom is linked to an email address not a particular computer. Just install TT home on the computer you are using and connect to TT using a standard USB to mini USB cable log using your normal email address. Did you originally download the maps or as they are old were they bought on CD. If on CD the serial was on the CD box. If downloaded the program will show what maps you have. Like you my French maps were old and I didn't update before this year's holiday. I was amazed how many routes had changed. Unlike us the French seem to build new roads all the time. Don't download new maps while in France unless you have free wifi!

Hi Thanks for the replies and suggestions. On returning home I found the device ID and even with it the website would not activate the maps and linking the tom tom to tomtom home on the pc would not sort it. I had to phone tomtom and they agreed to put the original map on to my account for me to download. Sorted now thanks but very disappointed with tomtom customer services attitude.

Hi Thanks for the replies and suggestions. On returning home I found the device ID and even with it the website would not activate the maps and linking the tom tom to tomtom home on the pc would not sort it. I had to phone tomtom and they agreed to put the original map on to my account for me to download. Sorted now thanks but very disappointed with tomtom customer services attitude.

Perhaps the cost of updating your device might be worthwhile so that you don't encounter this problem again .