Tesco Double Clubcards Points Promotion Ended, News For Eurotunnel Users

ValA

Quote:

"
Britain’s biggest supermarket chain announced it was scrapping its double Clubcard points reward offer, meaning the scheme will revert to one point for every pound spent. The number of multi-buy promotions will also be scrapped.
Tesco said it would increase the exchange rates on Clubcard vouchers for the most popular rewards, which include deals at Pizza Express, Café Rouge and Strada, from three to four times the value.

Read more:

For all of you who use Tesco vouchers towards your Eurotunnel crossing, let's hope that Eurotunnel is one of the companies where the 'exchange rate' is increased to four times the voucher value - otherwise it means an awful lot of spending to cover the cost of a return Eurotunnel crossing for car and caravan.

I do all my spending on a Tesco credit card, which I pay in full each month. That way the vouchers cost me nothing and I don't have to shop at Tesco.

I do all my spending on a Tesco credit card, which I pay in full each month. That way the vouchers cost me nothing and I don't have to shop at Tesco.

John

Same here and I rarely shop in Tesco for food so all my points are acquired at the lower rate any way and I still manage to get enough points for a couple of crossing on Eurotunnel a year. It would be nice if they did increase the exchange ration back to X4 but even at X3 its still an amazing deal.

I suspect that most Club Card points are redeemed instore. Tesco are losing customer share and even Waitrose (of all places) price match them on many lines. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out but if we suddenly see a Christmas 'Double Points' we will know its not working!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I suspect that most Club Card points are redeemed instore. Tesco are losing customer share and even Waitrose (of all places) price match them on many lines. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out but if we suddenly see a Christmas 'Double Points' we will know its not working!

David

Suspect points will remain low. I hear rumours of a price war to start next week starting with Tesco. It is the clubcard savers who will pay for it!

Went shopping in Tesco's today, and came to £99. 69, had multibuy savings of £8. 85 plus a £12 off coupon if spent more than £80.

Got 188 points worth £5. 64 with 3x deals.

So net cost of £73. 20, that's over 25% off, makes you wonder what their profit margins are.

Pete

I have started buying my diesel there again. I spend around £150 a week on fuel, downside is that you only get 1 point for every £2 of fuel. Still, the points stak up nicely. Whichever way you look at it it is still a good scheme, Tescos is not a cheap place to shop, which is why the scheme is so generous. If you want cheap shopping, go to Aldi. I do :D

Edited by jan69c

There are other ways to earn Clubcard points such as recycling your aluminium cans in there machines (not at every store), Tesco credit card, Womblings and others.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I have started buying my diesel there again. I spend around £150 a week on fuel, downside is that you only get 1 point for every £2 of fuel. Still, the points stak up nicely.

Get a Tesco Credit card and use that for fuel, you then get 1 point for £1.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

John

It would be nice if they did increase the exchange ration back to X4 but even at X3 its still an amazing deal.

David

I have always wondered who pays for these x3 deals.

If a Eurotunnel crossing costs £150 and that reduces to £50 worth of Tesco points who pays the other £100?

Does Eurotunnel absorb the difference, if so, why, as it is Tesco who are getting the sales that provide the points?

Or does Tesco make a payment to Eurotunnel related to the ticket value, if so, how much?

I have always wondered who pays for these x3 deals.

If a Eurotunnel crossing costs £150 and that reduces to £50 worth of Tesco points who pays the other £100?

Does Eurotunnel absorb the difference, if so, why, as it is Tesco who are getting the sales that provide the points?

Or does Tesco make a payment to Eurotunnel related to the ticket value, if so, how much?

It's a way of Eurotunnel getting more cars on board. I haven't travelled yet without the train having spare capacity.

If Eurotunnel fill an empty place they cant sell at £150 then they make £50, there is no £100 to loose.

It is also good advertising, it lets us experience how easy and trouble free the crossing is compared with ferries.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

It's a way of Eurotunnel getting more cars on board. I haven't travelled yet without the train having spare capacity.

If Eurotunnel fill an empty place they cant sell at £150 then they make £50, there is no £100 to loose.

It is also good advertising, it lets us experience how easy and trouble free the crossing is compared with ferries.

You're right, Tesco could be making a small contribution to the cost, or Eurotunnel may be taking the complete hit to fill empty spaces.

As far as the restaurant vouchers are concerned, my understanding is that Tesco does make a small contribution, but the restaurant takes most of the hit on its margins. The food costs are only part of the restaurant equation, and their costs are wholesale, but the discount is on the higher retail price, so they are not losing as much as you think. The staff are there anyway so no extra cost there. By the time you pay for drinks they are happy to have had your custom for several reasons. They do make a profit, they've got you through the door and may come again, a busy restaurant is more attractive to passers by than an empty one, and the staff have more opportunity to earn tips.

For most of the deals I suspect it is about filling empty capacity, Lower margins are better than no sale.

Gordon

Edited by Geemac

Damn - been waiting for a Tesco to open near us so as to cut our 'ferry' bills with their vouchers - so what happens yesterday we got a brand spanking new 'Express' on our estate ---- :wub: :wub: :wub:

There are sometimes occasions when it is not "best value" to use Tesco deals for a sea crossing. I cannot comment on the cost of shipping a caravan but these are real figures from my past bookings.

Eurotunnel - paid for with Tesco deals - cheapest I have obtained was £66. 00 on way, so £22 worth of Tesco vouchers.

P&O - cheapest crossing - £31. 25 on way.

Now here is the quirky bit. Sometimes, Tesco vouchers are worth double their face value in store - so £22 worth of vouchers are worth £44 in store in certain departments. In this case, and with a cheapo crossing on the Pride of Canterbury (my favourite), it is better value to spend the Tesco vouchers in store and pay cash to P&O.

It is worth remembering some years ago, the Tesco vouchers were valid on P&O Dover - Calais, but not any more. Also, Tesco vouchers were worth 4 x face value when spent on deals. Still it is summat for nowt, more so when using the can recycling machines! One item at a time please!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

It is worth remembering some years ago, the Tesco vouchers were valid on P&O Dover - Calais, but not any more.

Russell

Indeed they were, and also P & O Hull/Zeebrugge/Rotterdam crossings which I use. But it was very badly managed by P & O. They were filling empty spaces, as we have discussed, but then lost money by not filtering the ferry fare from the rest of the ticket. It was too good to last.

The Tesco crossings had to be booked by phone, and if you also booked an eveing meal and breakfast these were added to your ticket and paid for with vouchers. So the meals were quarter price as well as the crossing.

The best and cheekiest I ever did was book crossing, evening meals, breakfasts and upgrade to club class, all at quarter price because of the vouchers. The free alcoholic and soft drinks cabinet was worth more than my upgrade. Even more absurd, the lady on the phone said they were running a special promotion of a bottle of champagne and chocolates in your cabin for £25, would I like that. I added it to the ticket and so paid with vouchers for that as well. No wonder it had to end!

If they got their act together and filtered the ferry crossing only I would still be very interested at 3 for 1. But those were happy days. :)

Gordon