Front Locker Strut

billy scott

Hi I am thinking of fitting a gas type strut to my front locker of my Ranger 407

does any one know of a type of stay I could use

fed up of locker door hitting me on the head

there is a lot about but seem just for windows or cupboards and I dont know if they would do the job

billy

Hi Billy, I think I would start by measuring the gap open, then go down to a breakers yard and find one off a car that's somewhere near. Alternatively get a piece of aluminium rod 5/16 dia and bend it to suit. Good luck. Peter :)

as said a breakers yard will have plenty . You might need to fit one either side to stop it twisting if only one side is supported .

Dave

billy one thing to factor in is a car tailgate strut WILL be a lot stronger than the caravan type ones so go for one off a car with a lightweight tailgate ie small fiat etc or you may not hit your head but will struggle to close the locker door, also the fixing points will have to be very strong, also dont forget to get the knuckles that the strut fits onto, sure i have seen some vans with a centrally mounted strut this may be easier to fit etc, jim

Billy

Have a look at Gas Struts UK website. They have caravan gas locker struts and fitting advice etc

Frank

Archived