Automatic Or Sequencial Gears

marjill

I have a 1. 9 cdti automatic which has a sequential alternative. Those who have an automatic gearbox with the option of using the sequential option, when do you use iether the automatic option or when do you use the sequential option, and which option produces the best fuel economy. I have experimented wlth using one then the other, but cannot decide when or if using iether is anymore efficient. :unsure:

I use the auto all the time. I have only used the sequential to hold on to a gear if doing a long climb. Don't know which is more efficient but I do know which is easier ;)

During towing on local and single carriageway roads I leave it in auto, occaisionally when on motorways and other DCs I will use sequential as at 60Mph it may not shift up to 6th itself. In traffic its not worth it, no real difference in economy.

Leave ours in auto, unless it is a long downhill section, when I occasionally use the sequential gears

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Leave ours in auto, unless it is a long downhill section, when I occasionally use the sequential gears

That's exactly what I do in my Santa Fe. Before the Santa Fe I had a Honda Jazz automatic with tiptronic paddles, and using the auto was actually more economical than the manual version of the Jazz.

Always use the sequential when towing as my autobox "learns" the way you drive and when towing it thinks as i've got my foot down more at a slower speed that i'm out for a bit of a thrash and won't change up until near the redline which is no good with a van on the back!

Try them both and see what is best for you. Personally I leave mine in auto 90% of the time. But then going uphill and I think I need to change down but the auto thinks not, I will do it manually. I could always use the kickdown but it uses too much diesel if I? use it too much.

I have a Diesel Citroen C5 auto 2ltr and this year towed from the south coast to Switzerland and back - never took it out of auto. Returned 30mpg.

Alan

I use auto most of the time but switch to sequential when on twisty "B" type roads (not towing), as it allows me to hold a gear and get improved throttle response and use brakes less.

As for fuel economy, I havnt noticed any difference.

As above. Auto most of the time, but sequential when I want more control, usually on long hill climbs or descents.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I have noticed a massive difference in economy using seq and cruise over auto and auto/cruise. Dont know why, it shouldnt be as long as the box isnt constantly hunting gears. At sixty using the computer Im getting about 5 - 6mpg better towing or solo.

I have noticed a massive difference in economy using seq and cruise over auto and auto/cruise. Dont know why, it shouldnt be as long as the box isnt constantly hunting gears. At sixty using the computer Im getting about 5 - 6mpg better towing or solo.

Hi all,

I agree with Thingy, the first car I had aut/seq gearbox on was the Volvo XC90 and as with the Sorento after this, I soon learned that on long Autoroute driving, esp towing, I could drive the car in or out of cruise more economical than Auto/cruise. Catch ya later,indoors.

I am with the majority - leave it in D most of the time but knock it down a gear when going up long inclines as left to its self it is very 'lazy' at changing down - must be something to do with its american roots :rolleyes:

As to economy its that low already it makes no noticable diference :o