Bailey Senator Indiana S5. Any Known Issues?

normskinormski

Hi all.

As Ive stated in a previous post, I'm collecting my new (second hand) van next Saturday.

Would anyone be able to tell me of any known issues with these vans I should be looking for BEFORE I sign to accept it

It comes with a 1 year dealer warranty (Discover Darlington) but I'd hate to get it home and find something I should have noticed, only to have to take it back.

Thanks in advance.

Norman

Edited by normskinormski

We got a new Senator in 2007. The water pipes were replaced as it was fitted with a bad batch of pipe that caused the water to have a funny tcp taste. Since the pipes were replaced we have had no problems.

Be careful when pulling the screen over the roof light as I let go of ours when it was under tension and it sprung back and broke a piece of plastic off the surround.

I found that a 110Ah battery was too tight in the box so I opted for a 85Ah.

Make sure the fridge vents are with the van, to put on the outside when the weather gets cold.

You will need the water pipe to go into a container to use the onboard pump.

The van has been faultless apart from the above and has been serviced each year with no damp problems.

Enjoy your new van.

Graeme - also from Durham :)

They are known to suffer front and rear panel stress cracks.

Make sure the top rear corners in the van are not damp and check around the front windows.

Get a FULLY detailed damp report, DONT accept "there is no damp" you want to be given a Damp Report with all the readings marked on it.

If its still on the original tyres they'll be ready for a change.

Bailey had a spate of cracks where the front/rear ABS panels meet the roof - ask to see a recent damp report. Ours was fixed under warranty and hasn't re-occurred.

Make sure you get the plate for the microwave, the pickup pipe for the water inlet

Check the floor of the gas locker, especially around the base where the left hand gas bottle sits. there were a few which cracked.

locker dooors can leak. see if there are any water in any of them. the best fix if an 'eyebrow' to stop the water coming into the seal

make sure the fridge cools on 240v

If that sounds like a lot, then relax - its a good caravan. we're had ours for 5 years now.

PS. make sure you get the alko lock and the associated bag. make sure you also get the side lift jack. both are original equipment.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

All have been noted and everything suggested will be thoroughly checked out.

Looks like I'll have to source a different battery as the one in my ABI Northstar is an Orange 120Ah but I'll try to squeeze it in first.

Graeme - also from Durham :)

Gods allotment :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

OK, so I collected my caravan yesterday and absolutely love it!

Came with a nice shiny new set of tyres as the old ones were four years old so the dealer opted to replace them for new ones.

It didn't come with the original Alko hitch lock but did have a brand new unused wheel lock, the type that fits into the reciever so there's a nice bonus :).

Has a DVD player built in (not too sure if it was original equiptment but it's a good quality unit).

The freezer door has snapped on one of the hinges and is going to be sorted under warranty so all good there.

Also the blinds between the living area and bedroom don't go up so that'll be a phonecall back to the dealer to get sorted.

I had a look at all the panels around the van and all seems A OK there.

Obviously the TCP tasting water test can't be checked on until I actually hook up to some water but I'm not too worried over this,

Has the fridge vent winter covers.

Has a fully stamped warranty book, damp test and all the paperwork seems to be in order.

So all there is to do now is road test it this coming weekend (probably Ripon)........Looking forward to that bit :)

Again thanks very much for all the advice from everyone for arming me with a big checklist. .....The salesman must have thought I was a bit "anal" but ask me if I care!! :D

Norman. :)

It didn't come with the original Alko hitch lock but did have a brand new unused wheel lock, the type that fits into the reciever so there's a nice bonus

Enjoy your new van. I'm still very happy with ours.

Its the alko wheel lock which came with the senator as standard.

Hi all.

OK, so I collected my caravan yesterday and absolutely love it!

Came with a nice shiny new set of tyres as the old ones were four years old so the dealer opted to replace them for new ones.

It didn't come with the original Alko hitch lock but did have a brand new unused wheel lock, the type that fits into the reciever so there's a nice bonus :).

Has a DVD player built in (not too sure if it was original equiptment but it's a good quality unit).

The freezer door has snapped on one of the hinges and is going to be sorted under warranty so all good there.

Also the blinds between the living area and bedroom don't go up so that'll be a phonecall back to the dealer to get sorted.

I had a look at all the panels around the van and all seems A OK there.

Obviously the TCP tasting water test can't be checked on until I actually hook up to some water but I'm not too worried over this,

Has the fridge vent winter covers.

Has a fully stamped warranty book, damp test and all the paperwork seems to be in order.

So all there is to do now is road test it this coming weekend (probably Ripon)........Looking forward to that bit :)

Again thanks very much for all the advice from everyone for arming me with a big checklist. .....The salesman must have thought I was a bit "anal" but ask me if I care!! :D

Norman. :)

Sounds like you've got yourself a good un there :)

Hope the weather is better next weekend than today, when you try the new van out.

Graeme.