Good Idea/bad Idea

Thingy

Good or bad?

This refers to the Status 530 antenna and therefore presumably the 540.

We have designed an efficient, wide-band, log periodic dipole array with an integral electronic booster. With the addition of specially designed telescopic antennas, the 530 produces exceptional performance across all UHF, VHF and FM signals.

Good idea to add them, bad idea, cant reach the damn things. Even standing on the worktop with head out of the Heki, I cant reach the things to extend them, how on earth do they expect us to do this?

Edited by Thingy

Have said the same myself. Another thing is if you do extend the aerial out How do you go on when you want to change to vertical? My mast wont go up high enough to clear. The message is leave it in. :) Regards Peter

I dont use my ariel for TV owing to Sat but I leave it in the flat position and the telescopic ariel on the roof side i leave extended about 18 inches for the radio . Dont know if it makes a difference but its been left like that for nearly 5 yrs now . I to am vertically challenged and need steps to reach my ariel .

Dave

I have a 2011 Sterling Europa and the controls for raising and turning the Status aerial are in the wardrobe. Why would you try to adjust it through the roof light?

Why would you try to adjust it through the roof light?

|If you look closely, there are two telescopic antennae mounted on the side of the Status dish which have to be pulled out manually.

With the addition of specially designed telescopic antennas, the 530 produces exceptional performance across all UHF, VHF and FM signals.

|If you look closely, there are two telescopic antennae mounted on the side of the Status dish which have to be pulled out manually.

Not on mine. Everything is contained in a plasic housing. Below are the instructions for setting it up.

Status 530 directional TV

and FM radio antenna

(model dependant )

Firstly determine the approximate location

of the nearest transmitter and whether the

signals are horizontally or vertically polarized.

For assistance ask your site operator or check

antennas in the vicinity

1. Loosen the Mast Locking Collar and Wall

Bracket and raise the antenna. Turn the

mast to direct the Antenna towards the

TV transmitter.

The RED spot on the bottom of the mast

indicates the front of the Antenna.

2. When receiving vertically polarized signals,

rotate the winder anti-clockwise to cant

the antenna through 90°.

DO NOT over tighten or use undue force

on the winder.

3. Switch ON the Power Pack and the RED

LED will illuminate.

4. Check the gain control switch is set to

normal – NML.

5. Tune your television to the strongest

signal. You may need to adjust the

direction of the mast to achieve the best

quality picture.

6. Secure by tightening the Mast Locking

Collar and Wall Bracket

Edited by Robbie

Not on mine. Everything is contained in a plasic housing. Below are the instructions for setting it up.

Status 530 directional TV

and FM radio antennat

Quote from the status 530 manufacturer –

Status 530 Directional Antenna (Short Mast) - Digital and Analogue reception

With the addition of specially designed telescopic antennas, the 530 produces exceptional performance across all UHF, VHF and FM signals.

Can only suggest a quick visit to "Specsavers" then take another and closer look at your Status 530 aerial.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

Good or bad?

Good idea to add them, bad idea, cant reach the damn things. Even standing on the worktop with head out of the Heki, I cant reach the things to extend them, how on earth do they expect us to do this?

I haven't even tried to see if mine pull out, always had a good radio and TV signal with out them extended.

I read a post where some one said the extensions were for reception abroad?

Do you mean that you honestly cannot see the 2 chrome ends of the radio aerial sticking out about 30mm from both ends at the back of the aerial? Regards Peter :(

There are no chrome ends sticking out from my Status before people make snide remarks about Specsavers. I have taken a close up photo of my aerial and no chrome ends are visible. There is a small circle at the back of the housing that could only be seen using the telephoto lens on my camera. Whether this is the element I have no idea. http://i177. photobucket. com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/IMG_0999. jpg

The following is a reply from the Swift site.

"The Status 530 no longer has the telescopic elements. They were only used for VHF reception on the continent and are completely redundant here in the UK. You will see people on site with the elements unnecessarily extended, however they have no functional use whatsoever in this country."

The UK no longer broadcasts TV signals on VHF so for those of you attempting to improve TV reception then you are wasting your time. However, if you have an FM radio fitted and no seperate aerial then they may be of some value. Swift supply a seperate radio aerial on the front offside of the 'van.

Swift have stated that they have not used the radio reception part of the Status aerial since 2008.

Edited by Robbie

In order to clarify a couple of points, the following info is taken from the "Status" manufacturers manual.

FM Radio connection

Status is designed to receive FM radio when connected to

a car-style radio.

Important - You DO NOT need to extend the telescopics for FM radio reception.

VHF Television Reception (Overseas Only).

1…….Extend the two telescopic antennas

2…….Tune your TV into the strongest signal.

3…… You may need to adjust the direction of the antenna to achieve the best picture quality

4…….For fine tuning of VHF you may also need to adjust the length of the telescopics.

Important - VHF Television transmissions are ONLY horizontally polarized

Well, you live and learn all the time!

Vin Blanc!

"The Status 530 no longer has the telescopic elements. They were only used for VHF reception on the continent and are completely redundant here in the UK. You will see people on site with the elements unnecessarily extended, however they have no functional use whatsoever in this country."

The UK no longer broadcasts TV signals on VHF so for those of you attempting to improve TV reception then you are wasting your time. However, if you have an FM radio fitted and no seperate aerial then they may be of some value. Swift supply a seperate radio aerial on the front offside of the 'van.

Swift have stated that they have not used the radio reception part of the Status aerial since 2008.

Hi Robbie

I think your information post is likely to be more up to date than mine!

Regards Vin Blanc

There are no chrome ends sticking out from my Status before people make snide remarks about Specsavers.

Hi once again Robbie,

My earlier reference to "Specsavers" was never intended as a "snide" remark. It was meant simply as jocular banter. I'm sorry that you chose to take it so seriously. :angry:

Anyway, now we all know that the Status 530 is no longer fitted with the VHS telescopic dipoles, (I always thought they were for FM radio!).

Not that I really care, as I gave up using the Status a long time ago and bought a satellite dish.

Since then, I have never had cause to look back! Only forwards, usually peering up into the sky searching for Astra 2 @ 28. 2º east.

Even Specsavers can't help me with that one! :lol::D

Vin Blanc. .......Now where did I put my b….. glasses?

I bought a Coachman Amara in 2009 and the Status did not have the telescopic aerials for FM. Just bought a 2011 Unicorn Barcelona and this one does!!

Cheers

Paul

I bought a Coachman Amara in 2009 and the Status did not have the telescopic aerials for FM. Just bought a 2011 Unicorn Barcelona and this one does!!

Cheers

Paul

They must be using up old stock. :D