Caravaning La Manga

We have not stayed at La Manga, as we decided it was not for us. A huge site with many over-wintering Brits. There is a review at this link.

North of Alicante we stayed at Kiko Park, Oliva, a very relaxed and pleasant site with manynationalities present. The scenery at Cabo do Nao, Calpe and inland from Benidorm is good. South of Cartagena is camping Cuevas mar, at Palomares, near Mojacar. We arrived there for an overnight and stayed a couple of weeeks. Another very relaxed site with a mixture of nationalities and plenty of stunning scenery around.

NB if you have time to travel around, get away from the coast, which can be very overdeveloped in places. Inland Spain, just half an hour from the coast, is a different world.

Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but hope it helps.

Try http://www. campingflorantilles. com near Torrevieja its inland from the coast but not far and just of junction 754 of the AP7

We used La Manga for the last two winters and its a good site with clean although a bit dated toilet / shower facilities but as the previous post says it very big and has many British overwintering there .

Edited by neil and lena

We have stayed at La manga 2 years ago and had booked for 3 weeks. However, we left after 6 days as it definitely was not for us. As mentioned a very large site chokka with ralliers during the winter. 50% of the site is used by the Spanish and is known as the 'shanty town' not unkindly but due to the plethora of outbuildings shades etc they have erected for the sun. The site is also prone to a lot of wind unless you can find a pitch that is sheltered. It is a windsuurfing base for the same reasons. I accept many of the ralliers loive it and go every year but w felt that Bingo at nights etc was not our scene.

We moved to a site called Los Madrilles near Puerto do Mazzaron, just down the coast. A lovely site and very well looked after. Much nicer. However, beware it does not allow dogs, if you have one.

http://www. campinglosmadriles. com/

• 2 months later...

Dont bother with La Manga

Try this new site,it only opened in june this year its the best, i am here till april next year . You have water elec and waist on your own pitch . I have middle size pitch caravan car and still half pitch left all for 8 euros a night . Have a look on there web site www. campinglomnte-alicante. es I have someone next to me they came from La Manga and they are staying here till march next year. Have a look for PILAR DE LA HORADADA about an hour south of Alicante

Denn

Dont bother with La Manga

Try this new site,it only opened in june this year its the best, i am here till april next year . You have water elec and waist on your own pitch . I have middle size pitch caravan car and still half pitch left all for 8 euros a night . Have a look on there web site www. campinglomnte-alicante. es I have someone next to me they came from La Manga and they are staying here till march next year. Have a look for PILAR DE LA HORADADA about an hour south of Alicante

Denn

Don't advertise it too much or it might become another La Manga. It's hard enough finding good winter sites that aren't full of Brits and Bingo!

We have been to la Manga for the last 4 years and will be there again for three months starting on December 31.

If you have tried it and decided that it was not for you then fair enough, but to condem it when you have not been is stupid. .

Of course there are many Brits there as the Camping Club has a rally with around 140 pitches, there are also Dutch and German as well.

Half the site is a Shanty Town but many are owned by Brits but the rally section is good with serviced and hedged pitches.

We go on the Camping Club Rally which as far as we are concerned suits us, however if you like Bingo then do not go because there is NONE. There is however good walking, cycling, dinners and dancing. There is an excellent restaurant with great views of the Mar Menor.

Many people arrive who have only booked for a couple of weeks and wished they had booked for longer and there are also people who it does not suit.

Mike

Edited by MikeCooke

We have friends who go for the Spring months and have done for years. ..they really rate it for accessability and cycling up and down the front!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We have been to la Manga for the last 4 years and will be there again for three months starting on December 31.

If you have tried it and decided that it was not for you then fair enough, but to condem it when you have not been is stupid. .

Of course there are many Brits there as the Camping Club has a rally with around 140 pitches, there are also Dutch and German as well.

Half the site is a Shanty Town but many are owned by Brits but the rally section is good with serviced and hedged pitches.

We go on the Camping Club Rally which as far as we are concerned suits us, however if you like Bingo then do not go because there is NONE. There is however good walking, cycling, dinners and dancing. There is an excellent restaurant with great views of the Mar Menor.

Many people arrive who have only booked for a couple of weeks and wished they had booked for longer and there are also people who it does not suit.

Mike

Mike,

Is there much integration between nationalities at La Manga?

We haven't been. .. but our only knowledge came from two couples we met at Lake Garda in 2010.

They loved the place. .. but their attitude at Lake Garda was one of we're Brits and we'll surround and drive away all these foreigners that are about the site!

They were so bigoted we were appalled!!

TIA,

G.

Mike,

Is there much integration between nationalities at La Manga?

We haven't been. .. but our only knowledge came from two couples we met at Lake Garda in 2010.

They loved the place. .. but their attitude at Lake Garda was one of we're Brits and we'll surround and drive away all these foreigners that are about the site!

They were so bigoted we were appalled!!

TIA,

G.

With the Dutch yes as I have played Golf with them many times. There is less contact with the Germans who for instance have separate Boules pitches but there are site organised events in the Restaurant that are open to everyone.

It is a large site with over a 1000 pitches so there is room for everyone.

Mike

With the Dutch yes as I have played Golf with them many times. There is less contact with the Germans who for instance have separate Boules pitches but there are site organised events in the Restaurant that are open to everyone.

It is a large site with over a 1000 pitches so there is room for everyone.

Mike

Am I to take that as a qualified "not really"?

The Dutch (I lived there for 3 years) will talk and party with anyone. ... without an excuse!!! ;) ;)

G.

Mike

Would agree with Mike's comments about La Manga, we have been there for the last two winters on the C&CC Rally and certainly enjoyed the site and the surrounding area especially the cycling .

However were giving La Manga a rest this winter and going to Camping Raco at Benidorm for a change but plan to return winter 2013

Am I to take that as a qualified "not really"?

The Dutch (I lived there for 3 years) will talk and party with anyone. ... without an excuse!!! ;) ;)

G.

When you consider that you are on a rally which has 140 pitches and all situated in the same designated area then there is little oppotunity to mix with any other nationalities. There are enough things going on on your own patch.

Mike

Would agree with Mike's comments about La Manga, we have been there for the last two winters on the C&CC Rally and certainly enjoyed the site and the surrounding area especially the cycling .

However were giving La Manga a rest this winter and going to Camping Raco at Benidorm for a change but plan to return winter 2013

We will be trying Benidorm after La Manga which will be early April for a couple of weeks, we also like Kiko Park as well but only for a week or so.

Mike

When you consider that you are on a rally which has 140 pitches and all situated in the same designated area then there is little oppotunity to mix with any other nationalities. There are enough things going on on your own patch.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Sounds like it's not for us then!

G.

You could always join the German Rally :rolleyes:

Ha ha! :D :D

I just like a bit of cosmopolitan interaction!!

I've heard European Bingo can be quite entertaining!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

G

Edited by chapmag

Ha ha! :D :D

I just like a bit of cosmopolitan interaction!!

I've heard European Bingo can be quite entertaining!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

G

Sorry but no Bingo whatsoever, there was until a couple of years ago which were organised by the site but they had a police raid and discovered that they had no licence.

The site organised Karaoke could be up your street as you will get Germans and Dutch as well as Brits.

not me though.

Mike

Oh Dear, so sorry if I have upset the La Manga fans. It was not meant as a criticism of La Manga. Everyone has a different taste in sites and pastimes. We have always preferred small quiet sites where there is a mix of nations. We tend to avoid rally sites and sites where there is organised activity for that very reason. I know full well that many people do like the La Manga type site, I have met many on their way there who go every year. I have also met many who avoid it at all costs. Each to his own.

Sorry but no Bingo whatsoever, there was until a couple of years ago which were organised by the site but they had a police raid and discovered that they had no licence.

The site organised Karaoke could be up your street as you will get Germans and Dutch as well as Brits.

not me though.

Mike

Mike!

You mis-understood/misjudged me!

I hate Bingo, Karaoke etc etc etc. ...

I just find it extremely enjoyable sharing an expresso, or a glass of wine, or an aperitif, or just a common or garden Beer as the sun sets!

I am always interested to learn how other nationalities live, especially when at home.

I find it intriguing even beguiling!

That said, I can only put up with the overbearing/noisy Dutch for so long!

Great party people, but I had to work with then for 3 years. .. hence the novelty has well and truly worn out! :D :D

G.

It is a matter of personal choice. I know some go to the Rallies every year, but it is not for us. Too much 'little Englander'. In winter the Spanish side is more or less closed. Also although maybe not so relevant in winter time, the sea water is not too clean as there is little contact with the actual sea. It is more an enclosed lagoon. It is also very windy and a neighbour offered me poles like crowbars which he used to hold his awning down. If it is relevant to you then there is an English speaking doctor on site, but is expensive. There are also 2 good supermarkets close by as well as one on site. We also maybe hit a bad time but found the restaurant area filthy with rubbish.

Bluntly far better sites are available in the area, but again if you are in the rally mood, then go for it.

I think the biggest influence on me with regard to the people that liked La Manga. .. albeit just the ones we met at Lake Garda.

Was the fact that we bought a daily English paper, when I lent it one of the two ex- La Manga couples (before I gave it away to the English Couriers on site) and the wife nicked the quiz section out of the centre of the newspaper.

Needless to say she didn't get another loan of the "daily" paper and was very sheepish from then on!!!

G.