Caravan Insurance & Alarm Clause

SamP

Hi All

Our new caravan has an alarm fitted. If I claim the insurance discount for it then it is stipulated that it must be on when left unatteneded. This is not possible for me because the storage yard move the caravn in and out the compound for us, and don't have the remote fob to deactivate/activate the alarm. Also, when it goes into storage the battery is not allowed to be connected, to reduce the risk of electrical fires apparantly.

I was wondering if anybody else has this problem and have you been able to get around it. The alarm discount is worth £70 to me. As the storage site is a Gold CaSSOA rated I was hoping they might write it into my policy that the alarm does not need to be activated whilst in storage.

If I have to then I will cough up the extra 70 quid, but it might be worth a try,

Your thoughts please.

Sam

Hi All

Our new caravan has an alarm fitted. If I claim the insurance discount for it then it is stipulated that it must be on when left unatteneded. This is not possible for me because the storage yard move the caravn in and out the compound for us, and don't have the remote fob to deactivate/activate the alarm. Also, when it goes into storage the battery is not allowed to be connected, to reduce the risk of electrical fires apparantly.

I was wondering if anybody else has this problem and have you been able to get around it. The alarm discount is worth £70 to me. As the storage site is a Gold CaSSOA rated I was hoping they might write it into my policy that the alarm does not need to be activated whilst in storage.

If I have to then I will cough up the extra 70 quid, but it might be worth a try,

Your thoughts please.

Sam

Hi Sam

If the insurance does not do what you ask, then just change the insurance company, there are ones out there that will insure without these

clauses, as they tend to bump up the premiums just to reduce them for the alarm discount etc.

If you do change, and they ask why you are changing, then tell them, as the more they are told, they might do something about it !

Radiotwo

I can't see how you can expect a discount for a fitted alarm that you do not use except when out of storage.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I would have thought the alarm would need to be activated for any alarm discount. I do think its dissapointing though that your storage insists on battery disconnection for storage. While it is understandable to want to reduce fire risks, as far as I understand it, some caravans of a certain value can only be insured with a tracker fitted, which in turn works through the alarm and thus needs the battery connected. So unfortunate they have this rule.

Alex

the battery is not allowed to be connected, to reduce the risk of electrical fires apparantly.

Whilst this may have an element of truth the cynic in me thinks it's more to do with the fact that the storage site owner doesn't want to keep having to respond to any false alarms.

Will HIS insurance company accept FULL liability for any caravan that is stolen from his yard because the alarm has been disabled ????

(Bet he hasn't got theft cover)