Lady Margarets Cc Site, Chirk, Wrexham

MEG55

Anyone been to this Site recently? What is it like? How easy is it to get to I will be travelling the motorway until A55, A483 and A5 what are these a roads like?

Is it a good Site for parking up the car and walking from the Caravan? Is it peaceful?

Any comments welcome

This is a very nicely kept site and yes with the exception of the odd distant sound of a train VERY peaceful. Easy walk to the village and The Hands hotel does a discount for club members plus the food is excellent value. Just beware if the site is full a couple of the pitches will require more than a standard 25 metre mains hookup. Great stopover for us if going to Wales. It surely has one of the most elegant approach roads around. You will see what i mean as you approach Chirk castle.

Definitely no probs with the roads you mentioned. The final approach as with many just requires a little patience.

Enjoy

Edited by JTS

Coachman Pastiche

It is a few years since I last visited this site but if you enjoy walking there are several different ways you can go from the site including one where you walk along the canal tow path through a tunnel. We were there for 5 nights and only used the car once.

ElBeardo :)

And there's good walking right from the front gate (or before) and things to see like aqueducts and viaducts and aforesaid castle. Oh and look out for the Red Kites around the site which compensate for the board factory down the road. That factory surely doesn't help local tourism but can't be seen from the site. It's best to try and ignore it, it does make you wonder how such a horrible development got permission in such a lovely spot.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

When we last visited, we had the delight of the odour of chocolate from the nearby Cadbury's factory. I expect thats gone now that Cadbury's were sold off? Sometimes the approach roads gets partly blocked by outfits parked up because they have arrived too early and lack of forward planning. :blink:

Hi Meg55

Lady M's Park is a LOVELY site. We had a seasonal pitch there a few years ago and made a return visit in February 2011. The roads you mention are all good ones and you should have no problems at all. We find it a very peaceful site, some people mention the sound from the chipboard factory in the town, but we never heard more than a low hum when it was quiet at night - certainly NOT intrusive. The site is a great one for walks. The walk through the canal tunnel, it runs under the site, and then over the aqueduct to Chirk Bridge is a fun one but I'd recommend a torch for the tunnel. We prefer to stay in the woodland dell pitches rather than on the, more open, main grassed area.

If you fancy travelling a little further afield Chester and Shrewsbury are both lovely cities and are easily accessible by train, the rail station is only 5 minutes walk from the site, you will pass it on the way there. Alternately you can drive to either the A5 to Shrewsbury or the A483 to Chester which you will have passed on your route to the site. Both Shrewsbury and Chester have park and ride services which I would advise using as parking is not easy. The Chester park and ride is signposted from the A483.

I would recommend Llangollen for a visit too, see my review for more details, again I'd recommend the walk to Dinas Bran Castle and along the canal. Llangollen, also, has a very good Tourist Information Office.

You can read my review (Tim and Cary) and lots of other favourable ones here:

UKCS/sites/reviews. asp?revid=5244

and

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/topic/45274-chirk/

Our review is the same one at both links but there are lots of differen comments from lots of other folk which you will find helpful.

Have a lovely time.

Tim

Been a couple of times and really liked it. Handy if you like canals. A few pictures here http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/LadyMargaretsPark. htm

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I think if you asked the residents of Chirk if they would rather be without a caravan site or the chipboard factory, the factory would win hands down.

The site employs over 600 local people, and as such puts far more into the local economy than a few dozen caravanners. They have also been on the site for over 40 years, probably way longer than the CC site has existed there.

As for being a `horrible development`, I `ve seen a lot far,far worse, but then I don`t think it reasonable to expect an entire local economy to shut down so I can only see green fields and hear birdsong for the few days I visit.

Some people need to get a grip.

Been a couple of times and really liked it. Handy if you like canals. A few pictures here http://www. davidklyn. ..rgaretsPark. htm

David

Thanks for pictures, looks our cup of tea.