Vauxhall Frontera 2.3d

northernblue

""12mnths mot 6mnths tax £500,""

Not a lot to lose so maybe don't do an indepth analysis and go for it if you want it.

Had a new 2. 3d in 93, kept for 9 years and 109k on the clock. Bought a 2. 2ltd in 2002 which now has 111k on it. Towed to Spain each year over the pyrenees etc. Other than minor problems sorted out under warranty, had to buy an exhaust and a widow regulator.

Go for it.

Pete

at N reg it is unlikely to be a 2. 3td, more likely the TDS or 2. 8tdi I would have thought.

at N reg it is unlikely to be a 2. 3td, more likely the TDS or 2. 8tdi I would have thought.

You may be right, but the 2. 8 TDi was release during the "N" reg year, so the 2. 3 TD may have been available or it could have been old stock. The 2. 8TDi was a brilliant engine, the same as the Isuzu Trooper, but fitted with an intercooler. . We had a 2. 8 TDi Sport S and could it pull. We did many trips down to Switzerland with ours. The 2. 3 TD is a bit of a smokey engine most of the time. The 2. 8 TDi would only give heavy smoke if the peal was floored.

Is there any evidence of the timing chain and tensioner being changed recently?

The timing chain and tensioner setup is VERY weak on these engines.

It totals most of them.

It is not a job that can be done with the engine in situ because you cannot remove the sump without either dropping the front axle or removing the engine altogether.

HTH.

Rgards.

Col

Edited by BadbackCol

If you go for it I would count in the cost of a new chain as well, reason I say this is because a neighbour who also tows was going to get the timing belt sorted out next week (booked in) on their Galaxy 64k and it went on the way home last week car is being scrapped because the cost of repair outweighs the value of the car.

well i went past the car again this morning (one of my customers) on the back it says 2. 3 intercooler, i`d asked about the chain last night, he said it had been looked at with a view to changing it but it wasn`t needed.

They start to get noisy at about 100,000 miles.

How can he tell by looking at the chain whether or not it needs changing? X-ray vision?

You should also change the engine oil every 4,500 miles/12 months using Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w-40 or Magnatec 10w-40 A3/B4 (or equivalent) The sump holds 5. 5 litres.

Regards.

Col

For £500 you will not be expecting a pristine-never-goes-wrong-starts-on-the-button-mega-reliable vehicle.

If you fancy buying it then do so and if the LR weather forecast is right it could be a useful tool.

If nothing goes seriously wrong with it by Spring 2012 you can sell it on and get your money back.

Regards.

Col