Correct Awning Size ?

Phd

There is no tags or labels on the awning. We laid out the awning on the floor and measured it with a tape,we measured from end to end ( not Inc the mud flaps ) and it came to 930, so without sounding
Stupid, do I advertise the awning as a 930 ??
Many thanks ,( can you tell I'm new to c&c )
Gary.

Thanks again

Edited by Lefthand Down
Email address removed. PM will be a better and safe option.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is what you'd advertise it as, as these days alot of awnings now come in the CM'S format.

All the awnings i've had in the past have been in feet measuring the side of your caravan at the widest part, for example I have a 15ft awning on my 15ft caravan :)

Although just picked up a new awning a few days ago, couldn't find the size on it for the life of me but a small label on the inside says it's 825 which when I looked up online would suit a 13-15ft caravan :)

I'm not sure if 825 is the "ground to ground" measurement though or if it's just the length of the part that goes through the awning rail, not had time to check

Compass Shadow 1988

The measurement should be from the bottom of one pegging elastic around the edge of the awning to the bottom of the elastic at the other so it includes the mud walls but not the grey flaps thatfold inwards on most awnings. If that is what you have measured then you should advertise it as such.

In reply to mechs I also have a 15ft van but I have a 940cm awning that is a pefect fit, your 825 would be of no use. The important measurement is the one that starts on the ground and goes all the way around the awning channel and back to the ground.

The measurement should be from the bottom of one pegging elastic around the edge of the awning to the bottom of the elastic at the other so it includes the mud walls but not the grey flaps thatfold inwards on most awnings. If that is what you have measured then you should advertise it as such.

In reply to mechs I also have a 15ft van but I have a 940cm awning that is a pefect fit, your 825 would be of no use. The important measurement is the one that starts on the ground and goes all the way around the awning channel and back to the ground.

Oh right thanks for letting me know, just not had time to check as the one I seen advertised said 825 suitable for 13-15ft caravan although I did wonder how it could suit 13-15ft as that's obviously 2ft of a difference :) Like I say i'm not used to the whole measuring in cm's through the awning rail malarky :wacko:

Compass Shadow 1988

Oh right thanks for letting me know, just not had time to check as the one I seen advertised said 825 suitable for 13-15ft caravan although I did wonder how it could suit 13-15ft as that's obviously 2ft of a difference :) Like I say i'm not used to the whole measuring in cm's through the awning rail malarky :wacko:

It is all to do with the height of the van an how much slope there is on the front and back,

It is all to do with the height of the van an how much slope there is on the front and back,

No bother, i'll probably still try it next year just to see as it's an older 'van so doesn't slope at the front. It's an Abi Ace Ambassador. Just going to google it actually as i'm sure it's a 15ft awning i've currently got and it's slightly too big but does the job :wacko:

Compass Shadow 1988

The slope is only relevant if the awning rail goes all the way down before you hit he point where you insert the awning. Many vans have this halfway or more so the side part of the awning then drops vertically. The difference is not that much. Sod's Law always states your awning measurement is the boundary betwen 2 size ranges, but most advice suggest take the higher size.

Mine doesn't really slope as it's an older 1989 'van so is more rounded at the front and back but the awning rail does go all the way round. I'll check anyway sometime cos if there's anything "sod's law"" it happens to me :wacko:

Compass Shadow 1988