Is Worth Removing Mattress And All Soft Furnishings

Jackyboy

We are away in the van next week for 10 days and it will probably be our last trip this year as we have run out of annual leave :angry: :angry: . This will culminate a fantastic first year of caravaning, where we have visited many new parts of the country that we may not have gone to if we hadn't got the van and met loads of friendly helpful folk along the way. In fact I'm not sure I can go without the van until our probable next trip in early Feb, so I may resort to taking it out of storage and just towing it around every so often (I know I'm a sado).

When we get back, SWMBO thinks we should remove all the soft furnishings and mattress from the van and store them in the house, is there any need for this ? or is she being a bit overkill as it is a reasonably new van. :)

Edited by Jackyboy

It may save you losing them if the caravan was 'on somebodies wanted list', much less attractive without the soft furnishings and mattress.

On a happier note it could prevent the items getting cold and damp in storage :unsure:

I Don't do winter storage anymore as so many sites are open all year,giving it a run out brings the warmth back in,when I did I never took any soft furnishings home I just stood all cushions, matresses etc on there sides away from the sidewalls of the van,put a few of those condensation tubs from poundland around the place,never had a problem,

We usually take most of the cushions out for winter, also take the wheels off.

Put fridge winter covers on, and put a mouse trap inside, just in case.

We usually take most of the cushions out for winter, also take the wheels off.

Put fridge winter covers on, and put a mouse trap inside, just in case.

Blimey Xtrailman, if I mention the word mice to "her" she will want the whole van fumigating in the new year, I might keep that one from her ;) . Are the fridge vent covers generic or made specific for Bailey?

. Are the fridge vent covers generic or made specific for Bailey?

Take a paper cutout/rubbing of your vent and use it as a pattern when you buy winter covers.

If you have space in the house for your soft furnishings go ahead.

Edited by Lefthand Down

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Blimey Xtrailman, if I mention the word mice to "her" she will want the whole van fumigating in the new year, I might keep that one from her ;) . Are the fridge vent covers generic or made specific for Bailey?

My old 2004 senator covers fit, you just need to buy Dometic ones, not sure if they have different sizes.

Cost around £10/£15 i believe.

I use this trap in the caravan, its more discrete, put some silicon on the hinges though.

http://www. toolstation. com/shop/Cleaning%20&%20Pest%20Control/Pest%20Control/Trip-Trap%20Mousetrap/d260/sd3217/p60863

Edited by xtrailman

We have never taken cushions or matresses out over winter and never had problems. Also as Slimseydy said a lot of sites are open all year and if you can grab a weekend or three away over the winter it is a pain to put them all back.

ATB

Chris

We have never taken cushions or matresses out over winter and never had problems. Also as Slimseydy said a lot of sites are open all year and if you can grab a weekend or three away over the winter it is a pain to put them all back.

ATB

Chris

Keep thinking we should try and get away for at least a couple of weekends over the winter, I quite fancy a little winter touring, as you say 6sense, thats a good reason to leave them all in, still if you plan well ahead, you can replace the interior the weekend before, ready for a quick get-away the weekend after, not really sure if I relish dragging all the soft furnishings and mattress up stairs to the spare room and then back again. These are the occaisions when we wished we could keep the van on the drive all the time !