Never, Ever Take The Wife To A Caravan Shop...tale Of Woe

littlebasher

Where we store the caravan, also happens to be a Swift main dealer.

Yesterday, and for the first time ever Mrs Basher decided to come through the sales area to get to our caravan parked out the back in the storage yard. To my dismay, she started eyeing up a selection of new vans and subsequently demanded that i fetch the keys so she could have a look.

She has now come to the horrifying conclusion that our current van (a 6 berth fixed bed) no longer suits are requirements, instead she wants a fixed bed but with a full bathroom behind it (ours has one of those little washrooms at the side of the bed).

Having settled on a few choices, Elddis Avante 540, Elddis Rambler 19/4, Lunar Ultima SE etc she now wants me to swap our van for one of those

What's a man to do

Are there any other suggestions that may sway her, or make her so indecisive that she abandons the plan all together?

I'm happy with what we've got, and it's only 2 years old anyway!

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's a man to do

If Mrs Basher has decided that's what she wants then I suggest you give in gracefully! I'm certain you've been married long enough to know when you're beat!

Good luck - sorry I'm on her side, us girls have to stick together.

MumnTed

Agree with her (as you must ;) ), and then ask how she is intending to pay for the upgrade, which must also include a heavier tug (and then . .....take cover :ph34r: )

What's a man to do

Are there any other suggestions that may sway her, or make her so indecisive that she abandons the plan all together?

I'm happy with what we've got, and it's only 2 years old anyway!

If you do not concede to her wants and needs, you will be the loser!! Those women have ways and means to getting us men to conform!! :blink: The repel all boarders and withdraw all privileges, now!! littlebasher do you want to risk that??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have my sympathies last year I fell into the same trap and finished up with a Unicorn Valencia. That isn't the problem as we love the van, it's the best we have ever owned by a long long way.

The problem is how do I admit she was right, it will set a precedent that could come back to haunt me.

Been there got the T-shirt . ... dropped into the local dealers for some fuses . .. 68p for a pack of three . .. Mrs E decided that a "quick look" was an idea . .... 30 minutes and X£000's later we had a new van . ..... :) bloody expensive fuses they were :)

tell her. .. do you remember that special night in (where ever ) and how everytime you look at your van it reminds you of her, that your van and (wife) have the same sleek lines, great body, and the tinted windows remind you of her dark eyes, and you couldnt bare to lose those memories. ........ if she doesnt melt. ..... you will need to hire a contract killer. ..... or of course take it like a man, and pay up,

i hope you enjoy your new van LOL . . love Stu

Ah, but i'm not convinced she's thought this through

The van we have now is considerably larger than her suggested replacement. I've asked her how she'll cope cooking my tea with less worktop space, all for the sake of a big end bathroom!

I'm worried she'll miss the space, the last two vans have been big old twin axles. .plus i don't fancy having to buy another awning, nor get insulted when it comes to talking PX prices for vans i consider inferior to mine!

Edit, just seen our Ebay watching list. .Full of Super Siroccos, not quite what she was talking about earlier and i'm pretty sure the car would have some reservations as well!

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB

Well if you broach the subject of the tow car and insist on a bigger one then be warned. When a woman says 'You go right ahead and buy what you want' it does not actually mean you can go out and buy what you want to.

If Mrs. Basher is anything like my OH, tell her you think it's a brilliant idea and really

look enthusiastic. She'll change her mind just to disagree with you!!! :rolleyes:

Marc.

What's a man to do

If Mrs Basher has decided that's what she wants then I suggest you give in gracefully! I'm certain you've been married long enough to know when you're beat!

Good luck - sorry I'm on her side, us girls have to stick together.

MumnTed

Ditto :D Denise

As a wife, I have to say, that often when I make a suggestion for something new and expensive and my hubby enthusiastically agrees I often back off thinking of the cost involved.

You mention the size of the kitchen area. When we/I came up with the idea of an end bathroom on the back of our fixed bed we went with the Bailey Barcelona to give us the extra kitchen space. I can't understand a four ring cooker, a fridge that is bigger than the one I have at home and then no room to dish up.

If Mrs. Basher is anything like my OH, tell her you think it's a brilliant idea and really

look enthusiastic. She'll change her mind just to disagree with you!!! :rolleyes:

Marc.

OBJECTION! We don't do that. ...... do we????? ;)

So true, its the way they are built.

OBJECTION - again! We're not 'BUILT' we are feats of wonderous design & don't you forget it! :P

MumnTed

OBJECTION - again! We're not 'BUILT' we are feats of wonderous design & don't you forget it!

Sorry, can't agree with that, too many major faults not found at PDI.

Mine has no isolator switch for the hot air supply, the pressure release valve sticks and then releases suddenly, and its floor has delaminated.

Hi,

Keep going folks, O. H. is watching T. V. --- and i am having a good laugh at these posts !!

david1220

I have been having real problems with the firmware on wife, I emailed her mother for tech support, you may find the response helpful.

Dear Tech Support/Mother-in-Law

Last year I upgraded from Girlfriend 7. 0 to Wife 1. 0. I soon noticed that the new program began unexpected child processing that took up a lot of space and valuable resources. No mention of this was included with the product information. In addition, Wife 1. 0 installed itself into all other programs and now launches during system initialization, where it monitors all other system activity.

Applications such as Poker Night 10. 3, Football 5. 0, Fishing 7. 5, and Motorcycling 5. 0 no longer run, crashing the system whenever selected. I can’t seem to keep Wife 1. 0 in the background while attempting to run my favorite applications. I’m thinking about going back to Girlfriend 7. 0, but the uninstall doesn’t work on Wife 1. 0. Please help!!!!!!

I received this reply

Dear Troubled User:/Son-in-Law

This is due to a very common problem that generates many complaints. It is due to a primary misconception generally by male users. Many people upgrade from Girlfriend 7. 0 to Wife 1. 0 thinking that it is merely a “Utilities and Entertainment program”.

Wife 1. 0 is an OPERATING SYSTEM and is designed by its creator to run everything! It is also impossible to delete Wife 1. 0 and return to Girlfriend 7. 0. Hidden operating systems files cause Girlfriend 7. 0 to emulate Wife 1. 0, so nothing is gained.

It is impossible to uninstall, delete, or purge the program files from the system once installed. You cannot go back to Girlfriend 7. 0 because Wife 1. 0 is designed to disallow this.

Some have tried Girlfriend 8. 0 or Wife 2. 0 but end up with more problems than in the original system. Look in your Wife 1. 0 manual under “Warnings - Alimony/Child Support.” I recommend that you keep Wife 1. 0 and work on improving the situation.

I suggest installing the background application C:\YES DEAR to alleviate software augmentation. Having installed Wife 1. 0 myself, I also suggest that you read the entire section regarding “General Partnership Faults (GPFs).” You must assume all responsibility for any faults and problems that occur, regardless of their cause. You will also find that GPF’s are cyclical. The best course of action is to enter the command C:\APOLOGIZE. Avoid excessive use of C:\YES DEAR because ultimately you will have to give the APOLOGIZE command before the system will return too normal anyway.

Wife 1. 0 is a great program, but it tends to be very high maintenance. Wife 1. 0 comes with several support programs, such as Clean and Sweep 3. 0, Cook It 1. 5 (which replaces Burn It 1. 0), Trash 4. 0, and Do Bills 4. 2.

You must, however, be very careful how you use these programs. Improper use will cause the system to launch the program NagNag 9. 5. Once this happens, the only way to improve the performance of Wife 1. 0 is to purchase additional software. I recommend Flowers 2. 1 and Diamonds 5. 0 should this happen.

WARNING!!!!! DO NOT, under any circumstances, install SecretaryShortSkirt 3. 3. This application is not supported by Wife 1. 0 and will cause irreversible damage to the operating system.

Yeah, I know its an old un.

Having risen from my beauty sleep a vision of true beauty - I know I am but daren't look in the mirror until things have unwrinkled. ..... I find that there are a few things that need addressing here. .....

Mine has no isolator switch for the hot air supply, the pressure release valve sticks and then releases suddenly, and its floor has delaminated.

Oh dear, me thinks that not enough attention has been paid to the manual that MUST have been available on delivery for a couple of those points. Delamination is more serious, most of us that suffer from this dreaded ailment also find that things appear more southern than northern and a good iron wouldn't go amiss. .....BUT you must never mention this within hearing or you will get a good dose of the two items below.

What is dishing up?

There are two meanings to this: 1 when a gourmet repast is placed onto plates & given to best beloved. 2 What happens when delamination or other dreadful ailments are mentioned within hearing, often resulting in the 'dishing up of a thick ear'.

You could try giveing her a thick ear.

peter.

Yes, you could TRY! Many have tried & failed miserably & have had all privilages withdrawn.

MumnTed

Um! I experience fuses blowing witout any apparent cause as well as the above. I cant work it out.

I was going to get the tool box out but thought better of it when I saw the vodka bottle . ....................

I have been having real problems with the firmware on wife, I emailed her mother for tech support, you may find the response helpful.

I received this reply

Yeah, I know its an old un.

Carry out a full hard drive format - go to another country and load a decent operating system.

SIMPLES

I have a cunning plan. .......................... :ph34r:

Make her a nice cup of coffee/tea with a few biccies and 'offer' to sit down and discuss her 'brilliant' idea for upgrading your 'van.

You will need a notebook and pencil because you want to 'make absolutely sure' you have both weighed up the pros and cons.

After she has finished enthusing and gushing about the new caravan you mention that the car will also have to be upgraded and this will also mean another £5-£6k has to be found.

This Is The Cunning Part-.You ask how the extra money will be found or funded. Suddenly she has to make a decision and it is worth reminding her that if the whole thing goes belly up. .....It Was Her Decision. You are merely the dutiful husband who wants only the best for her but harsh economic reality must be faced and it also worth remembering that spending £5k on your home will pay better dividends in the long term.

It Worked For Me. ;)

Regards.

Col

Archived