Battery

Stringvest

Just gave the van once over and found that nothing works on 12 volt.

Hooked up the meter shows full, and every thing works, unhook and meter drops to nothing immediately.

No blown fuses, no trips tripped, checked connection to battery good and tight, battery charging light on, and new 110amp battery 2 months ago.

Is there any thing else I can check? I haven't got any test meters or another battery charger!

Had booked to go to a CL with out EHU for three days on Saturday, will have to cancel now and swap to one with EHU

Thanks.

Is there any thing else I can check? I haven't got any test meters or another battery charger!

Unfortunately I think you do need a multi meter to check the battery and the output from the charger to diagnose properly.

Sounds like the battery charger is at fault . As said you need to used a multimeter at the battery and see if there is any charge going into the battery at the teminals when on EHU. If so you could use a external battery charger to charge the battery before you go to get you over the three days while away .

Dave

Just gave the van once over and found that nothing works on 12 volt.

Hooked up the meter shows full, and every thing works, unhook and meter drops to nothing immediately.

No blown fuses, no trips tripped, checked connection to battery good and tight, battery charging light on, and new 110amp battery 2 months ago.

Had booked to go to a CL with out EHU for three days on Saturday, will have to cancel now and swap to one with EHU

Thanks.

Just a quikie to say you don't need a meter--solder a couple of wires onto a 12volt bulb and use that to determine if there is a voltage.--use it on your car battery to see how bright and you have a basic checker

This is all you need and they sell at Maplin as well. http://www. amazon. co. uk/Digital-Multimeter-MultiTester-Screen-Leads/dp/B004HSSJXG

One of the 3 most important tools for caravans. The other 2 are WD 40 and Duct Tape.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Just a quikie to say you don't need a meter--solder a couple of wires onto a 12volt bulb and use that to determine if there is a voltage.--use it on your car battery to see how bright and you have a basic checker

Are you serious? if so lets hope the bulb is brighter than you are <_<

As meters are dirt cheap you should have one.

Look for a fuse adjacent the battery, sometimes there is one fitted.

Your charger sounds like its working, as you have a "full" reading when on mains, it sounds like your battery isn't suppling a voltage because a fuse has blown.

It is connected properly?

Red cable to +ve.

I have been having battery problems for weeks now, ive got a 2 year old Elddis odyssey 244, and the 110ah batt has been going flat in the space of 2 days, we do a lot of dog shows so dont use EHU much. After every trip I would plug the caravan into the mains to charge up the battery and lo and behold it would go flat again almost straight away. As a trained sparky i put an amp meter on it and tried to find where I was losing the charge, no real surprises emerged other than the radio switching itself on everytime the 12v switch was flicked. Much head scratching took place and much money spent on new batteries all to no avail.

So i decided to find out what sort of charger was fitted to the caravan in case there were any known problems with it. When I looked at the manual I discovered in rather small print the following "THE BATTERY CHARGER FITTED TO THIS CARAVAN IS NOT SUITABLE FOR CHARGING A BATTERY AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR TRICKLE CHARGING AN ALREADY CHARGED BATTERY",

Problem solved, I now use a "Ring" smartcharger to charge up the battery after every trip, but I ask you, what bloody use is a battery charger that wont charge a battery????? and why wasnt this not insignificant piece of information made more obvious to the user, To say I am hacked off with Elddis (they have cost me over £200 in batteries) is an understatement.

I bought a meter, no reading at the battery at all, borrowed a charger and that showed the battery needed charging, we have used it when it was working to run the lights on the odd comfort break, I couldn't find any fuses any where other then those at the board under the seats and one on it's own near the battery box, that hadn't blown but I changed it any, that didn't fix the problem, so it does seem to be the charger at fault.

So I suppose next thing is buy a charger, any recommendations please?

At least it's fully charged now so should see us through the weekend, CL owner was very good and said it we have a problem she'll run a lead out to us.

As you have a 110ah battery you could go for the Cetek MSX7000 (7amp) or the Numax 'Connect & Forget' Leisure battery charger (10amp). Both are multi stage intelligent chargers which can be left connected permanently. I have the Numax charger and can't fault it but Cetek are a very popular brand.

I bought a meter, no reading at the battery at all, borrowed a charger and that showed the battery needed charging, we have used it when it was working to run the lights on the odd comfort break, I couldn't find any fuses any where other then those at the board under the seats and one on it's own near the battery box, that hadn't blown but I changed it any, that didn't fix the problem, so it does seem to be the charger at fault.

At least it's fully charged now so should see us through the weekend, CL owner was very good and said it we have a problem she'll run a lead out to us.

Did you check the voltage at the battery with the charger on and connected? Even if the battery is flat you will get a voltage from the charger.

If you do get a charger reading it may be a new battery you need not a charger.

You haven't used a generator on the van have you?

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Problem solved, took the cover off to see if I could see the charger and found two wires had come adrift in to it, hidden away so hard to find, they were very loose so I've reconnected and cable tied them in place.

Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated :)

Good feedback.

You can now take readings of battery volts whenever you like.

When the van has been off EHU (elec hook up) for a while you should see 12. 7 volts approx. :)

During EHU connection you should see 13. 5 volts approx. :)

If you do see 12. 2 volts or less a recharge is needed. (everything switched off.)

Enjoy. .......

I have been having battery problems for weeks now, ive got a 2 year old Elddis odyssey 244, and the 110ah batt has been going flat in the space of 2 days, we do a lot of dog shows so dont use EHU much. After every trip I would plug the caravan into the mains to charge up the battery and lo and behold it would go flat again almost straight away. As a trained sparky i put an amp meter on it and tried to find where I was losing the charge, no real surprises emerged other than the radio switching itself on everytime the 12v switch was flicked. Much head scratching took place and much money spent on new batteries all to no avail.

So i decided to find out what sort of charger was fitted to the caravan in case there were any known problems with it. When I looked at the manual I discovered in rather small print the following "THE BATTERY CHARGER FITTED TO THIS CARAVAN IS NOT SUITABLE FOR CHARGING A BATTERY AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR TRICKLE CHARGING AN ALREADY CHARGED BATTERY",

Problem solved, I now use a "Ring" smartcharger to charge up the battery after every trip, but I ask you, what bloody use is a battery charger that wont charge a battery????? and why wasnt this not insignificant piece of information made more obvious to the user, To say I am hacked off with Elddis (they have cost me over £200 in batteries) is an understatement.

Most caravans only charge to 13. 7 volts approx, even the Valencia, not many have a 3 stage charger, but swift did have a faulty batch of 3 stage chargers which boiled dry the batteries, not something thats going to happen charging at 13. 7 volt.

You should get more of a charge towing, i get over 14 volts, but as i'm always on mains its never been a problem, mover works fine with this set up.

Battery is now 7 years plus old.

If i was rallying i would always give the battery a full charge on a "proper" charger.

i bought a 20VDC panel meter for 99p on an auction site, does not need a seperate supply, and is backlit in blue, I now have an accurate way to check the battery voltage, and as others have said you can also see if your charger is working. I checked the accuracy of mine against my calibrated Fluke meter and it is spot on! Delivery was around a week from Hong Kong. I have built a small box for mine to sit in, and secured it to the tray above the door and hard wired it in, I will get a rocker switch, so that it can be turned off at night, although it does make an effective night light.

LOL, I always thought it would be a tube of silicone.

The Duct Tape is to stop things moving about that should not move.

The WD40 is to make things move that should move but won't.

This is all you need and they sell at Maplin as well. http://www. amazon. co. ..s/dp/B004HSSJXG

One of the 3 most important tools for caravans. The other 2 are WD 40 and Duct Tape.

What possible use can there be for that 40th Water Dispersant? If you mean penetrating oil, then use Plusgas, for a lubricant, 3 in 1 etc. WD40 does nothing well apart from the marketing hype.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you serious? if so lets hope the bulb is brighter than you are dry.png

I really don't see the need for you to be so rude!

If you read the first question on this thread he only needed to find if voltage was present or not---a bulb would be quite satisfactory for this.

Archived