13 Pin Socket To Caravan Electrics

billy scott

Hi can any one tell me if this is right

changed to 13 pin socket today never had a 12s on car

when I got home tried out the system

Fridge 12v system lights up on fridge but all other 12 volt in caravan dont work lights etc and the batterie charging indicater went to zero

regards Billy Mauchline

You don't say type of Van you have but there is often a switch marked 'Car' & 'Van' which would need to be set to 'Car'

eg. Swift group Vans of recent years.

hi bbrown

the charger indicater is on at all times when connected to lesure batterie when 240v conected it rises to over 13v

but when I connected the 13 pin socket the indicater went off and no 12v lights

Billy

my abbey (swift) as to have the rocker set to van for the 12 volt to work. middle Is off and car Is to use the car battery for power, Its very confusing, I even have to set It to van when I'm towing for the charger to work

Hi can any one tell me if this is right

changed to 13 pin socket today never had a 12s on car

when I got home tried out the system

Fridge 12v system lights up on fridge but all other 12 volt in caravan dont work lights etc and the batterie charging indicater went to zero

regards Billy Mauchline

Thats absolutely how it should be and quite normal. The car takes preference over the vans 12v system when attached.

Jt

Coachman Pastiche

Hi Jt

will the 12v battery in the caravan be charging when the 13 pin is connected you would think the indicator would show charging same as 240 v when on ehu on site

Billy

Hi Jt

will the 12v battery in the caravan be charging when the 13 pin is connected you would think the indicator would show charging same as 240 v when on ehu on site

Billy

Yes with the engine running. But maybe not exactly the same voltage depending on the cables from the car relay and via the vans wiring. You should certainly see a change on the voltmeter reading when starting the car engine.

I don't think you do see a reading on the volt meter when connected to the car while running, i recall when i had a charging problem, i had to take a reading across the battery terminals.

Probably due to the relays inside the caravan.

You should not see anything on the vans 12v system when the car is connected. Exception being the fridge line and the recharge circuit assuming the cars engine is above idle. Relays isolate the vans supply when car connected.

Jt

Coachman Pastiche

My meter shows no voltage when connected to the car . Only shows any voltage when the master battery switch is turned on .

Dave

You should not see anything on the vans 12v system when the car is connected. Exception being the fridge line and the recharge circuit assuming the cars engine is above idle. Relays isolate the vans supply when car connected.

Jt

Exactly correct

Thanks evryone for your replies I was just worried I was getting a short or I had not connected up properly

Yours Billy

Archived