Thetford Cassette - Warning Light

smiffy

I've a 2011 Elddis Avante 540.

The red warning lamp on the top of the flush is not longer working. I first noticed this within a few days of taking delivery and the vendor supplied me with a replacement thetford cassette.

However a few trips on the light has stopped working again.

I beleive that there is a float inside the cassette which then completes the circuit thus illuminating the lamp.

Is it possible to manually bypass the cassette float to check that the lamp / circuit is ok?

post-6400-0-03989800-1316696168_thumb.jpg

Hyundai SantaFe CDX+

when the tank is empty :) if you open the hatch and look "forward" you can see the float . . simply a white mechanism on the end of an arm. As the level rises the float rises and moves a tiny magnetic bit around in an arc. It is this magnetic bit getting close to the "reciever" bit at the back of the enclosure that puts the light on.

If the "reciever" unit has moved to the wrong position, the light won't come on. .. so check that for security.

If the float can't move due to paper etc then the light can't come on.

BUt most of all . . if "over enthusiastic" sloshing of fresh water when emptying has occured the magnetic bit may be long gone . . :( No idea if that part is obtainable, but taking the top off the container is easy enough if you can get the part.

HTH

Contact Thetford direct

Clearly this is a design fault

In my humble opinion that statement is absolute rubbish. If it was a "design fault" then every single user would have the same problem . .. the forum would be full of moans, and as the thetford cassette has been around a long time, everyone would be aware.

Why do so many folks here simply have a mantra "blame the makers" or "sale of goods act" when there are usually simple and effective solutions . .

Edited by Entwood

when the tank is empty :) if you open the hatch and look "forward" you can see the float . . simply a white mechanism on the end of an arm. As the level rises the float rises and moves a tiny magnetic bit around in an arc. It is this magnetic bit getting close to the "reciever" bit at the back of the enclosure that puts the light on.

If the "reciever" unit has moved to the wrong position, the light won't come on. .. so check that for security.

If the float can't move due to paper etc then the light can't come on.

BUt most of all . . if "over enthusiastic" sloshing of fresh water when emptying has occured the magnetic bit may be long gone . . :( No idea if that part is obtainable, but taking the top off the container is easy enough if you can get the part.

HTH

In my humble opinion that statement is absolute rubbish. If it was a "design fault" then every single user would have the same problem . .. the forum would be full of moans, and as the thetford cassette has been around a long time, everyone would be aware.

Why do so many folks here simply have a mantra "blame the makers" or "sale of goods act" when there are usually simple and effectife solutions . . one of which is to read the manual . .. in which it clearly states NOT to be over enthusiastic with the cleaning . ...

Sorry but if it didn't work the first time, nor in the replacement cassette, the clearly there is an issue with it and Thetford should be made aware of it

At no point did I mention about SoGA or refunds/replacements etc

It worked when purchased = design OK

Replacement worked when fitted = design OK

Lots of other units work fine = design OK

Both stopped after a number of trips = possible user error ???

There are other possibilities of course, but "design" is not one of them IMHO

We had a problem with our cassette some years ago now -- and it was due to a build-up of "stuff" on the float switch.

- We removed the top [4 x head screws] as if you were replcing the seal, and also took of the seal so we could look in side.

The stuff appeared to be cardboard -- but on investigation decided it was it was toilet paper [ some was pink] which hadn't disintegrated and had formed a solid surface over the switch.

Tried to leaver it off with a pointed knife but it didn't work -- had to -- as you did change the cassette. At the same time we then changed completely to Thetford toilet paper. .. which dissolves completely in a few mins.

Since then we have had no problems.

Might be a help -- dont know. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

I'm a bit puzzled. You have a brand new caravan and part of it is not working. Why are you taking the cassette apart yourself? It is the dealer's problem.

I'm a bit puzzled. You have a brand new caravan and part of it is not working. Why are you taking the cassette apart yourself? It is the dealer's problem.

The dealer gave him another cassette and the problem came back again after 5 days hence why i said to contact Thetford

If it is a user porblem clearly the dealer is not telling the OP about it

How many people know if their warning light works? I don't. I never let it get that full. I can't be faffed filling with water to check.

How many people know if the light work. I don't. Never let it get that full and never tested with water.

The new orange styled cassettes have the alarm float assembly mounted a bit further down the liquid level than the previous yellow type cassette.

Least that is my experience.

Therefore the alarm comes on when there is still some way to go before the cassette needs emptying.

We regularly have the alarm coming on without causing problems.

I agree that the problem could be too much water sloshing about during cleaning, in fact somewhere in the instruction manuals they do mention this.

Brian

Hi,

Speak to Thetford but have the serial no of the cassette to hand.

I had this on my Sterling Emerald and it looks like the same as the picture you displayed (C250). There was a fault on the pcb at the rear of the tank holding area and the test is to hold a magnet to the pdb and for someone else to check the light in the van.

I spoke to Thetford and a replacement pcb was sent out the same day and received the next. It's a simple pull out and push fit the replacement

I agree that the problem could be too much water sloshing about during cleaning, in fact somewhere in the instruction manuals they do mention this.

Brian

oops, i could be guilty of this forever sloshing the can to get rid of all the nasties that don't want to leave , but in all fairness I think mine still works,but I do encourage my family to inform me when the poop pot gets near the top, as when the warning light comes on pulling it out of its housing nearly pulls my arm out of its socket

You can test the float by filling the cassette (water is preferable!) and testing the magnet with a screwdriver on the outside of the case. If it feels like the float is working then you should suspect the reed-switch or the power supply to it. It is located inside the compartment where the cassette fits.

We have the same problem - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I would also say that it comes on much sooner than previous toilet lights. I think it is designed not to be filled so full. Ours is a 2010 model.

Hi

We had and still do have this problem too. Thetford were great, they sent out new replacement parts, floats pcb, holder for pcb new sticker for switch area. I replaced the lot and it still doesn't work when the cassette has anything in it. To test it easily just put your hand through the hole when its empty and move the float up. Don't forget to wash your hands afterwards.

It too believe it's a design fault and dont care who says otherwise. My wife uses copious amounts of toilet paper and because the float is closer to the opening the paper impedes it's movement. If that's not a design fault then I don't know what is?!

Hi

We had and still do have this problem too. Thetford were great, they sent out new replacement parts, floats pcb, holder for pcb new sticker for switch area. I replaced the lot and it still doesn't work when the cassette has anything in it. To test it easily just put your hand through the hole when its empty and move the float up. Don't forget to wash your hands afterwards.

It too believe it's a design fault and dont care who says otherwise. My wife uses copious amounts of toilet paper and because the float is closer to the opening the paper impedes it's movement. If that's not a design fault then I don't know what is?!

When you put chemical into the empty cassette do you also add one liter of fresh water?

This tends to assist in the breakdown of waste and paper because it covers the waste and paper in chemical.

Brian

When you put chemical into the empty cassette do you also add one liter of fresh water?

This tends to assist in the breakdown of waste and paper because it covers the waste and paper in chemical.

Brian

Yes Brian I always do that. It's when it starts to fill up it causes problems. To be honest I don't bother with the light anymore and empty it on a regular basis.

Never had any problems with mine. . it works every time. I do use the Thetford paper though, so perhaps that helps.

I have never had problems with my toilet, I only use ordinary toilet paper which breaks down easily, don't go down the road of buying expensive paper, I take out the tank and give it a good shake one day and empty it the other (2 day cycle) have nothing to complain about. Regards Peter :)

Lots of other units work fine = design OK

Mine failed very early on, as did those of several other people I know. We all use the old 'look through the hole' method instead!

Guest SimplySimon

Firstly I am happy to say that our loo warning light works just fine.

When our warning light comes on (usually just after getting ready for bed after a few beers) I tend to pretend that it's not me that has to empty it and snuggle down to dream of cheap loo rolls, self emptying toilets and chemicals that don't smell of bubblegum!

Later, my wife wakes me to let me know that the loo is full, I say that I'll empty it first thing in the morning and return to my dreams of tilting caravans and huge lorries buffeting me as I drive a steady 40 mph down the M3.

Next morning, hangover in tow, and pretend not to notice the red light, we decamp and at 11:55 I conveniently remember that I need to empty the offending toilet cassette. With trepidation I unlock the toilet locker and remove the suspiciously light cassette and wheel the receptacle, just 50% full, to the emptying point, which just proves a point which is: the red light is for STOP, don't empty me yet, wait until you are ready.

Oh yes then I drive back along the motorway at a legal 60 mph and check my profile to see what my day job is :)