8342mat

So the van i am to purchase is currently having a service before i officially take ownership.

Yes you guessed it, they have found damp in the area of the side front window and door.

The current owner has asked for the repairs to be done under warranty, which has been agreed by Coachman.

Campbells who are carrying out the service, and repairs, would not give me details to the extent, as i am not the owner at this time.

Now i suppose the fact the damp has been found, and to be repaired under warranty before i take it is a blessing.

My question is should i proceed with the purchase ?

Mat

So the van i am to purchase is currently having a service before i officially take ownership.

Yes you guessed it, they have found damp in the area of the side front window and door.

The current owner has asked for the repairs to be done under warranty, which has been agreed by Coachman.

Campbells who are carrying out the service, and repairs, would not give me details to the extent, as i am not the owner at this time.

Now i suppose the fact the damp has been found, and to be repaired under warranty before i take it is a blessing.

My question is should i proceed with the purchase ?

Mat

You have a choice which is always good. Cancel the sale. You are well within your rights. OR if you still want the van re-negotiate the price in view of the problem.

I would walk away from it if I was you.

Jt

Coachman Pastiche

Hi Matt, I would personally take it as a blessing in disguise and immediately withdraw from the purchase. Spending 1000's of your precious pounds should get you a top quality van but in this situation, I would always be left wondering if another dose of damp (even more serious than this) is just around the corner. .....

There's a lot of good quality vans on the market but I would personnally look elsewhere. Good luck.

Hi Matt. Not sure what my final decision would be in your case, but I know I would go back and renegotiate to see if the deal can be improved - only then can you really sit down and make the decision in my view. You can go for another caravan, but how do you know whether or not the next caravan has had similar damp repairs. At least it sounds like the current owners were not trying to hide anything from you.

Last month I sold my caravan back to the dealer I bought it from - and I did make a loss as I discovered 2 lots of damp over the summer and it was no longer covered by any warrenty. The dealer has repaired both sets of damp and put the caravan up for sale advertised as immaculate - as I am sure it is now its repaired! It has already been sold - and I wonder if the dealer let the new owners know about the samp repairs? Not a chance - unless they were specifically ask I guess. How do you know any second hand caravan has been damp repaired? You don't - unless you are in the lucky position you are in now. Its a gamble with any caravan - you just have to use your judgement - and regardless of what anybody will tell you on this site, any caravan can leak (foreign caravans & Alu-Tech included) - but some just don't soak up the damp & rot unless they have a non-wood construction. At least you know this one has had a repair by a good dealer under warrenty.

Good luck anyway - whether you buy this caravan or another, I hope you get a good one that serves you well.

The trouble is you don't know how much damp. I had damp in my van when it was 4 years old. Readings were 19 to 22 in top rear corner. Much different than say readings of 25+ or 30+. If readings had been higher I would have been looking to get rid. 2 years on and no recurrence.

Thank you for the replies so far.

I am fortunate in that i know the people who are selling the van, and the reason behind it being sold.

They contacted me as soon as they were told and have been straight up without any consideration to trying to hide anything.

I had seen the van prior to the service and there was no smell, other than that of a new van only used twice, even the plastic is still on the floor, and certainly no visual sign of anything wrong.

Now the cause of the ingress is from the window being ill fitted, or a faulty/ failed seal. The later a known fault confirmed by Coachman when i spoke with them today, and already mentioned on this forum.

I guess the positive side is that it is not a "structual" failing, more an accessory, thus appropriate repairs should eliminate a return.

Mat

Mat,

I would get a full detailed reading of all the flush windows (do a check by yourself getting meter just under the blind) , the fault was down to an apprentice packing the windows over the built in seals before installation, I have had all my flush windows removed and resealed at Coachman including the door, I now have a water tight seal again.

Paul

8342mat

Mat

My Oct 2010 Amara is going in for its first service this Monday and although I have asked them to check for damp (which the service includes) this 'The later a known fault confirmed by Coachman when i spoke with them today' that you mentioned, I would like to know what that fault is please.

If any other owners out there know of any other common faults would you please let me know so that when I take the van in I can make double sure that they will check for these.

Rickg,

Sorry for the late reply, work and update of the forum and all that.

Had a long chat with Mr Baxter (Coachman) on the phone.

In short NO Amara is effected as it does not have the seizt flush windows.

It is these that the apprentice thought he knew better how to fit.

Laser, Pastiche and VIP 2010 and some 2011 "could" be effected but Coachman are not sure how many were subjected to the seal, and sealent around the windows being forced, rather than following the natural llne of the window hole.

Apparently a visual check will not reveal anything.

Unfortunately it is damp that will give it away.

He assures me that any repair will be covered by the remaining water ingress warranty, and not a shortened dealer one.

In my case still 5 years to run.

My wait for delivery still goes on with the caravan at Campbells, as Coachman only deliver parts once a fortnight !!!

Once i have it a Powrtough HD mover to be fitted, then we are up and caravanning again, in time for the winter season.

Mat