Looking For Help/advice

Virgin Tourer

Hi peeps go easy on me as i`m a virgin. ..on here!, I am curently looking to purchase a tourer and im looking for advice on what to look at and what to avoid, firstly the car i have a mazda 6 09 model 2 litre diesel car, I am looking at a 4-6 birth caravan i have a budget of 3-4k dont really want to go mad on my first purchase in case its not for me.

Now basiclly(ahem) will this car be adequate to pull the average 4-6 berth? and what will this car pull weight wise?, also what do i need to look out for when purchasing as i`ll be looking at both private and trade.

Just to add do caravans become cheaper to buy through the winter or is this a myth??

If anybody can point me in the right direction i would be eternally grateful!!.

Hello and welcome to Caravan Talk. :)

IIRC the Mazda 6 2. 0 diesel will tow 1280kg @ 85%. This is not a rule but a guideline, it means that the fully loaded weight of your caravan should not exceed 85% of your car's kerbweight. You will therefore need to be looking at a 'van that weighs approx. 1000/1100kg empty.

I think you will struggle to find a 6 berth caravan within that weight range. Other members may know better (?) So a 4 berth 'van is the better option. What to look for? Spongy floor-usually near the entrance and the sink areas,any signs of damp-check round windows/vents/cupboards and bathroom as well as the front and rear corner wallboards. If you buy privately it will be a good idea to ask a mobile caravan tech to check the caravan before you buy ie: gas pipes,electrical systems and connections and the running gear.

Buying from a dealer will give your more protection but. ..........you need to carry out the same basic checks and a dealer should give you an up to-date gas safety certificate.

If you are still unsure take someone with you who is more experienced and knowledgeable. Do not rush into the decision to spend your money.

Caravans are usually cheaper in the winter.

HTH.

Regards.

Col

VT

If you are looking for a 6 birth, given the weight limits you have you may want to look at an Avondale Dart 556/6. We had one for 6 years and the weight unladen was 1070 kg and its max weight was 1300kg. You may find that other companies such as Bailey offered a similar product, but I don't know what weights their vans would came in at.

Have a look around and see whats about, but you may find that your budget will not stretch to the Dart.

M

Hiya we have a 1999 Swift Classic Baronette 4 birth and the unladen weight is only 950kg, which is very light. We purchased this caravan from new and the "Classic" range are light and I think the Bailey Champagne around that year were slightly heavier. With your budget you may be looking at caravans 1995-1999. Caravans then were a lot lighter than today. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Much appreciated guys n galls,great advice of which i will take on board, by the sounds of it i may be better off going for a 4 berth, its all very tecnical :wacko: , not one to be put off though and ive promised the two little ones and the strife!

Bbc how much cheaper are caravans through the winter?by this i mean is it a significant amount?

Ta!

If you are looking for a 6 birth, given the weight limits you have you may want to look at an Avondale Dart 556/6.

M

I agree, the dart 556 6 is probably one of the lightest and best 6 berth vans (but I'm gonna say that, I own one ;) ). Something to think about though is Avondale went out of business in 2008. Most spares are still available for now.

If you get time, check out the classified ads on here to get some ideas on layouts.

I know it's being pedantic but BIRTH refers to a baby being born BERTH refers to a bed for the night. :) :) Peter

I know it's being pedantic but BIRTH refers to a baby being born BERTH refers to a bed for the night. :) :) Peter

It wouldn't be the first time someone gave birth in a caravan berth. LOL :D

Hi peeps go easy on me as i`m a virgin. ..on here!, I am curently looking to purchase a tourer and im looking for advice on what to look at and what to avoid, firstly the car i have a mazda 6 09 model 2 litre diesel car, I am looking at a 4-6 birth caravan i have a budget of 3-4k dont really want to go mad on my first purchase in case its not for me.

Now basiclly(ahem) will this car be adequate to pull the average 4-6 berth? and what will this car pull weight wise?, also what do i need to look out for when purchasing as i`ll be looking at both private and trade.

Just to add do caravans become cheaper to buy through the winter or is this a myth??

If anybody can point me in the right direction i would be eternally grateful!!.

Avoid Avondale and Coachman, they don't use stainless steel awning screws, can be a problem as the caravan gets older.

Buying private will save you a lot of money, but take someone along with you who knows caravans, and what to look for.

Damp is the cancer for caravans.

Archived