Should My Swift Challenger Have Twin Electrics ?

Craig1803

Ive just bought my first van, 1990 Swift challenger 450/5. Ive figured pretty much how all of it works now.

The only thing that won't work is the fridge on 12v, but from reading bits on here and the internet I'm guessing its because it needs to be connected to the car power to do this?

The caravan only has 1 x 7pin plug on it for single electric towing.

Was twin plugs an optional extra back in 1990 or has the plug been removed for some reason?

If it was never fitted, how hard is it to add one on. I assume the relay bit for the charging is part of the tow bar installation so its just wiring up at the caravan end to fridge positive and earth, and battery positive and earth ?

the car is twin 7 pin, the caravan is single 7 pin.

my new car coming november is 13pin, so i will need an adaptor then.

The issue i have at the moment is there is no 12s plug coming from the caravan to power the fridge and charge the battery, which I'm trying to future out why?

For a fridge to work on 12V you will need a split charge relay in your car plus twin sockets . Do you have twin sockets on the car?

The fridge should only work on 12V when the engine is running to avoid flattening the battery.

You will need to run a 12V from the split charge relay to the fridge plus a separate earth return back to the car. Do not use the existing earths. that the lights use. .

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

From memory, having only just returned to caravanning after almost 20 years away from it, 12N and 12S were standard from the early 1980's onwards, when rear fog lamps on vehicles became mandatory - the blue wire in the 12N used to provide a 12V supply to the caravan for lights, pump, etc. , but was reallocated to fog light supply for the van. As another poster has said, sounds like your 12S has been removed (for reasons I can't begin to imagine. ....). One thing to check may be that the 12V stuff in the van hasn't been rearranged to work off the old 12N wiring - try putting the rear fog lights on your car on when the van's connected to it. .........

Caravans originally never used to have two plugs and only had one plug for the towing lights as caravns never had batteries fitted in the caravan as standard . If the caravan originally came with just one plug then I would check the fridge to see if it is 12v input before you start fitting another plug and wiring up . Fridges fitted with no 12v feed were only gas fridges . If so you would need to fit a 12v /240v/gas fridge to use it on 12v while towing . You could fit a battery charger while on EHU to keep the battery charged and put a bottle of frozen water in the fridge for when you travel to keep the fridge cool.

Dave

Hi, The Caravan originally would have had 12n and 12s plugs, look for a second wire that would have been for the 12s, (possibly under the A frame/ under front bunks ? ) it may have been cut back? Perhaps there is a fault in the fridge 12v circuit or the previous owner only had the 12n socket on his car.

Do all the roadlights work ok from the 12N ?

Sounds like you need a caravan electrical expert to check it all out if you aren't sure of your skills, good luck !

This year caravan originally had twin electrics with a charger and battery, I had one

Caravans originally never used to have two plugs and only had one plug for the towing lights as caravns never had batteries fitted in the caravan as standard . If the caravan originally came with just one plug

Dave

So sounds like the electrics have been mucked about with, as has been said perhaps the previous owner only had 12N electrics (though why he didn't just get 12S fitted is beyond me) As bordeauxderek has suggested, get a caravan service engineer to check it out - probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get the mains (if it has it) checked and certified as well, on the basis that if the 12V side has been, erm, 're-engineered', then other systems may be a bit suspect. ...... :mellow:

Hi

The 1990 range of swift vans "did Have" an "S" plug to charge the van Battery and run the fridge

Drawing inclosed

dave

Ps the file is to large for a down load

contact me via a pm for a copy in pdf format or look up my direct e-mail addy

Guest Benzowner

At a guess, I would say that a previous owner only used the single socket for towing and has probably cut off or tucked away the grey aux socket. Have a ferret about under the van and see if you can see any tale tale signs.

Well, it had been cut off and coiled up, tucked away where it comes through the floor under the van.

Ive checked the wiring to the fridge and van by setting up a second 12v battery and it all works, so all i need to do is order the 7pin 12s plug and wire it up.

Im glad i asked the question, else i may have not ever looked underneath.

The previous owners must have only had single electrics on the car, but why that means you cut the end of is beyond me !

Well, it had been cut off and coiled up, tucked away where it comes through the floor under the van.

Ive checked the wiring to the fridge and van by setting up a second 12v battery and it all works, so all i need to do is order the 7pin 12s plug and wire it up.

Im glad i asked the question, else i may have not ever looked underneath.

The previous owners must have only had single electrics on the car, but why that means you cut the end of is beyond me !

Beggers belief :( If you do have to extend the 7 core wire, make the join inside the caravan in a junction box.

Craig,

As your new car that is arriving in November will be fitted with a 13-pin socket (which is far superior both electrically and mechanically to the 'old' 12S and 12N plugs and sockets), you may wish to consider converting your caravan to a 13-pin plug, as opposed to trying to restore and possibly extend the original 12S plug and cable. You will need a 13-pin plug and an appropriate length of 13-core cable. You will also need an adaptor lead to use the caravan with your existing car, but you would have had to buy an adaptor anyway for the new car if you kept the 12N/12S setup.

Wiring up the 13-pin plug is not difficult, as pins 1 - 7 replicate the pin numbers and colours of the existing 12N plug and its 7-core cable. The size of the cable cores is important, so have a look at http://www. sargentlt. ..O11446_Data. pdf which gives the ISO 11446 EU standards for cable sizes.

You should also request that the supplier of your new car wires up the 13-pin socket “IN FULL COMPLIANCE WITH ISO 11446”, as this will ensure proper and correct operation of all equipment in your caravan.

One last thing, and that is that the cores in the 13-core cable are positioned to correspond with the pins of the 13-pin plug. Offer up one end of the 13-core cable to the plug that you are attaching to it, and if the cores of the cable do NOT align with the correct terminals in the plug, try the other end of the cable, which should the align OK and make the fitting of the plug much easier.

Hope that this helps,

Regards,

David

Archived