Toilet / Porta Potti Mod

nikkipaul

hi guys,

my caravan didnt come fitted with a casette toilet and dont really want to cut a hole in the side of the van if im honest as i'll be doing the modification and i dont trust myself with a jigsaw on the outside.

The bathroom is currently a wet room with a shower and wash basin

we currently use a porta potti which is far to low for me and the missus to use but its not a real problem as we always go to a site that has toilets but we are looking to travel europe next year and we like the comforts of home if we stay on a site that doesnt have toilets etc.

where the porta potti sits there is a drain plug in the corner which goes to underneath the van as a vent or water run away for the shower ? we have never used the shower to be honest.

what i was thinking is making a raised frame for a new thetford porta potti to sit in and fitting a smallish sewage tank under the van for the waste to drain into from the porta potti if possable ?

then drain the sewage into a waste hog ?

if at all possable as im not sure if a pipe can be connected to a porta potti to drain it away and again not sure if or how id drain it from the sewage tank ?

perhaps if i used a wastehog under the van to drain the waste from the porta potti then i can dump it manually that way.

sorry if all this sounds confusing but im trying to find a way of not having to remove the porta potti from the bathroom every couple of days.

is what im trying to explain possable ? if so will i need a specific porta potti that has an external waste outlet and will i need some sort of pump to pump it into the wastehog /sewage tank

sorry guys im a complete caravan novice

What you are suggesting is entirely possible, but involves far more work than fitting a cassette loo, and (in my opinion) would give an inferior result.

I suggest if the Porta-Potti is too low, that the simplest solution is to either raise the existing unit on a small platform, or replace it with a taller model (they are available in various heights).

If you really don't want a free standing loo, then with care, a cassette is not too difficult to fit. As for a jig-saw, you can literally put four small holes in the corner of where the hatch is to go, and carefully "join the dots" with a pocket knife. Remember the section removed will be needed to infill the new access hatch frame so don't damage it, and you will need to scrape a small amount of wall insulation from around the hole, and insert a light timber support frame within the wall thickness. Other than that, it's just a case of measure twice, cut once.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

If you drain it into the waste hog. . it is then not grey waste. Surely by doing that you are creating more problems than solving. Easiest way would be to elevate the Porta Potti.

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****