Thought Of A Tracker For Your Caravan

I'm new to caravans but not new to having expensive things sat on my drive that have the potential for someone steal.

And after a friend of mine had his race car stolen, Inexcess of £40k. I had a look about for trackers. The cost of some and the annual fee is a bit off putting.

Then i found out about using mobile phones. Its amost as simple as hiding a phone with a charger somewhere it cant be easy to find. On some new (cheap £40) samsung phone they have a tracker system build in. Look up "samsung mobile tracker"

Anyway have a look here it may be of interest to some. http://www. wikihow. com/Make-a-Smart-Car-Surveillance-System-Using-a-Mobile-Phone

Thanks

Robin

Good idea but I'm not sure I'd want the van back if it was stolen, would probably depend on how soon it was found and what state it was in. My preference would be for an insurance payout and then a new van.

I've done what I can to deter theft, the van is kept at home, there's a car parked in front of it most of the time, it's never left without the wheel lock and hitch lock fitted and I've fitted a CRiS Extra kit (labels, marker pen and micro dots).

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy a personal GPS tracker with a 12V hook-up for circa £40. You put a phone sim card in and away you go. It is a little bit bigger than a matchbox, http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/GPS-GSM-GPRS-Tracker-Hard-wired-Car-Charger-2-battery-/220746216278?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item33657ff356

Be a bit careful, feedback shows most of business is done abroad, also it says posted from China and customs duties to be paid by buyer. Maybe best to Google an identical one with a British seller? :unsure:

Edited by peterjohn

Hi all,

I've had a brand new caravan nicked, it was insured and after some falling out we did get paid out but remember, this isn't free, your policy will go up accordingly. If you don't want it back, don't leave anything in it of sentimental value, if you do want it back, loosen the nearside wheel nuts ( but don't forget to tighten 'em when you use the 'van ).Catch ya later,indoors.

if you do want it back, loosen the nearside wheel nuts

Not sure of the point of that - you might get it back but only in pieces after the thieves have an accident. .. ;)

Hi Robin,

I have a Phantom Pro-active tracker fitted to my unit. I will also put my hands up to ignoring my phone once (two meesages then a phone call from Phantom tracking office) while towing my caravan once and being stopped by the police on the motorway. The only time I forgot to turn the unit off. The good thing is, even if the unit is switched off, the vehicle can still be tracked so long as it has power going to the tracker unit.

Their blurb from the website I qoute "Our average recovery time is around 70 minutes, which means in most cases the thief will not have damaged or even used your vehicle"

That's good enough for me.

Diefer