Craig Tara (haven Site)

Went to this park after booking last February on a special deal. When we arrived we were told that the dedicated touring bays were all booked up and that we were to pitch up in what I can only describe as being a glorified car park. It was a few feet away from a busy road and had rubbish dumped in the hedge adjacent to our "pitch". To cap all that there were four caravans in the same area with people who owned Transit vans, had dogs that barked incessantly and treated the area around their vans as a rubbish tip.

Dont go there!

It was finding a used hypodermic syringe and exposed needle between the seat cushions of a static on a Haven Site (Primrose Valley) that prompted us to buy a van of our own. Poor cleanliness, apathetic attitude and appalling customer service means we will never spend another penny at anything connected with Haven.

It's a shame you had to experience this but having read many similar reviews of Craig Tara I would NEVER go there. ......I always check reviews of sites (or restaurants, hotels etc.) before I visit. .....have been caught out though, with a site in Perth that got mostly good reviews but wasn't for me at all!.....and I recall that the last time I was along the road at Culzean Castle site we passed and saw police cars and ambulances leaving the entrance at Craig Tara because someone had been stabbed (saw it in the local paper). These sites aren't cheap either!

• 2 weeks later...

So things haven't changed much. It was just as bad when it was Butlins :(

On a more positive note we went to The Ranch near Maybole, what a difference nice pitches and excellent facilities. Oh well we all learn the hard way from time to time!

If you want to stay in this area I would HIGHLY recommend Thomaston Farm Camping and Caravanning Club CL. The owners are lovely people and it has "views-to-die" for over the Clyde estuary to the Isle of Aran. It's, also, just across the road from Culzean Castle which has lovely grounds leading right down to the beach - super for walking and cycling and free admission to the grounds in the evening!!

You can read my review (the first one Tim and Cary) and 5 other favourable ones here:

UKCS/sites/reviews. asp?revid=9289

Tim