Overnight Heating

dustypete

hi folks, away this weekend with the weather getting a bit chilly at nights we wanted to leave the caravans electric heater on set low over night owe caravan is a 2011 model so the heater is not old do you think this is safe or should we take an extra blanket or maybe just cuddle up . thanks for you replies. ...pete

Try searching for "overnight heating". There are numerous contributions that should help you decide.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Hi Dustypete,

You won't have any problems leaving the heating on over night on electric, or even gas. My heater is is on all week when I go away in the colder months. I do turn the temp down at night as I use a heavy tog duvet, it's just enough to take the chill off when you get up in the morning.

Diefer

Only 1 night this year we have used the van without leaving the heating on overnight!! Having said that, I set the thermostat quite low and so sometimes the heater doesn't come on at all but other evenings it can be quite chilly and I hear it click on and off a few times!

The setting stays the same for summer & winter, power selector to 1000watt (just in case 10 amp supply), thermostat just under 5 and van is a comfortable temperature. Don't use the fan as the heater is fairly central. Have a mini oil filled rad in the bathroom which is used in the Winter to dry towels, coats etc and thermostat is set low on that also and left on overnight.

Ian

I had the electric Truma heater in my van on all last night on the top setting- very toasty indeed!! I must admit that I wouldn't usually do this, it's just that I closed my eyes for 1 second and then it was morning! You shouldn't have any problems at all.

In this order in my van. ...

1) Heating on all night anyway on electric setting. When it is really cold, it is on gas and electric. Your boiler at home is serviced and maintained, so the van boiler is no different

2) 18 (yes 18) tog duvet.

3) Go somewhere warm

4) Cuddle up! :wub: but remember, if the caravan's rocking, don't come knocking! (Sorry!)

I will add in the severe winter last weekend, we kept the boiler on and a low wattage electric heater at the front of the motorhome.

If you have any worried, fit a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector. For peace of mind, you should have these anyway. I use a First Alert branded CO detector as per my blog page here - http://swift-kontiki. co. uk/motorhome-accessories/first-alert-carbon-monoxide-detector/

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

We put the heater on 500 watt without the fan and we also have a small 500 watt oil filled radiator as back up

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Archived